Best SubWoofer to match M3 S Turbo's ?

SFDude

Re: Best SubWoofer to match M3 S Turbo's ?
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jun 2018, 05:06 pm »
Yes, a sub placed squarely into the fireplace would be awesome - infinite baffle supreme.  :D

You're like READING MY MIND JerryM! My wife actually wants to put a gas fireplace insert there (she's not keen on wood-burning ones) but I mentioned I could use that space to shove audio equipment more discreetly into. She wasn't having any of that though.  :nono:

A sub into the fireplace isn't a bad idea though. But even getting it into the center in front of the fireplace, is that even a consideration?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #41 on: 1 Jun 2018, 05:19 pm »
What's going on there where the piano seems like it might meet the wall? That might be a great space.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #42 on: 2 Jun 2018, 06:01 am »
Dave,

The big advantage of the Rythmic Servo subs either sealed or OB is that they are fast and can keep up with your speakers. I don't think you will find a faster sub than the servos.

SFDude

« Reply #43 on: 2 Jun 2018, 04:18 pm »
What's going on there where the piano seems like it might meet the wall? That might be a great space.

Piano is set in the corner of the living room. Might be a good corner to put a sub at but the wife would definitely find issue with it.

The big advantage of the Rythmic Servo subs either sealed or OB is that they are fast and can keep up with your speakers. I don't think you will find a faster sub than the servos.

Will have to look into these then Greg, knowing you run OBs in your own system and in a fairly large space from what I’ve read as well.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #44 on: 2 Jun 2018, 08:34 pm »
Agreed, the Rythmik subs are by far the best option for high end OB speakers.

JackD

« Reply #45 on: 2 Jun 2018, 09:27 pm »
I've been running a pair of F12G's with my M3 Turbo S and now M3 TM's for a year now and they are a great match.  They replaced ACI Force XL's. My room is 24'x28'x10' with a six foot opening into the Kitchen/Breakfast Room area.  Tuck them just to the rear and inside of the M3's.

who?me?

« Reply #46 on: 2 Jun 2018, 11:55 pm »
I run a Zu Audio Undertone single sub b/w my M4 Triode Masters..
It is sealed, not portex, kind of a monster in terms of sound projection.
Goes down th 14hz i believe. But Im not a big sub kinda guy, so one sub works for me.
Plus, i only have room for one sub, 13x19ft room

There has been a fair bit of discussion on subs previously
 in the Spatial thread thst you may want to check out
Best

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #47 on: 3 Jun 2018, 01:47 am »
I would think this one would integrate best with M3 Turbo S and M3 Triode Master?

http://www.spatialaudio.us/m-force-bass

Vinnie

JackD

« Reply #48 on: 3 Jun 2018, 03:23 am »
Vinnie

That might be true but not necessarily going to work in SF Dude's room as set up and certainly wouldn't pass the WAF test in a Living Room/ Family Room environment.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #49 on: 3 Jun 2018, 05:38 am »
So I recently moved and had nowhere else to put my system other than this living room which opens up into a dining area space on the left side. It's a fairly larger space than what I had before so I have some flexibility on moving the speakers a bit further out and apart. Current arrangement (as shown in the pic) is needed to keep them out of the way so that the wife deems it "acceptable".  8)

I definitely need a sub to fill in the lower range. Rythmik subs were suggested earlier and I would rather have a sealed box sub to be more discrete about putting yet another piece of gear into this space. Any other recommended subs that folks have in their systems currently which integrate well? Would be able to use the Exogal Comet's outputs (they have both balanced and single ended) simultaneously so I can connect one of them to a sub as well.

-dave

Dave, Rhythmik makes sealed subs.  So does SVS.

If you are looking for a smaller sub with good tight, fast and musical bass, consider a Martin Logan Dynamo 700.  They are sealed.  I use 2 Original Dynamo's (which  were the first dynamo's built by ML and they are basically the 700 with less power) with my Magnepan speakers.    They integrate seamlessly and keep up with the Maggies.  I did have a pair of Spatial M3 Turbo's to audition for a few days and the subs worked great with them.  They do not go down as deep as larger subs but they have great WAF and they are very fast.  They fill in to about 25db.  If you want lower bass then you will need to go larger.  They can be used front or down firing.  I have heard much more expensive subs that are not as fast or musical.  However, they won't pressurize the room as much as a larger sub.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_839DY700B/MartinLogan-Dynamo-700W.html?tp=187&awcp=1t1&awcr=196735332397&awdv=c&awkw=%2bmartin+%2blogan+%2bdynamo+%

SFDude

« Reply #50 on: 4 Jun 2018, 04:21 pm »
I would think this one would integrate best with M3 Turbo S and M3 Triode Master?

http://www.spatialaudio.us/m-force-bass

The wife would kill me with those, for sure. I did try to envision them but definitely not possible.

If you are looking for a smaller sub with good tight, fast and musical bass, consider a Martin Logan Dynamo 700.  They are sealed.  I use 2 Original Dynamo's (which  were the first dynamo's built by ML and they are basically the 700 with less power) with my Magnepan speakers.    They integrate seamlessly and keep up with the Maggies.  I did have a pair of Spatial M3 Turbo's to audition for a few days and the subs worked great with them.  They do not go down as deep as larger subs but they have great WAF and they are very fast.  They fill in to about 25db.  If you want lower bass then you will need to go larger.  They can be used front or down firing.  I have heard much more expensive subs that are not as fast or musical.  However, they won't pressurize the room as much as a larger sub.

Thanks Greyhound Fan. Will look a little more into those as well given the integration with their electrostatics is what they were designed for to begin with. But looks like the Dynamo doesn't have XLR inputs, which is probably what I need at this point with my gear.

I've been running a pair of F12G's with my M3 Turbo S and now M3 TM's for a year now and they are a great match.  They replaced ACI Force XL's. My room is 24'x28'x10' with a six foot opening into the Kitchen/Breakfast Room area.  Tuck them just to the rear and inside of the M3's.

Jack, I was planning to get one sub to begin with and put it in the center (smack in front of the fireplace) but not sure if the open fireplace behind it would be problematic or not.

-dave

JackD

« Reply #51 on: 4 Jun 2018, 05:30 pm »
I would block the opening off.  You could even order a panel from one of the companies like GIK to do it with.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #52 on: 5 Jun 2018, 02:02 pm »
The wife would kill me with those, for sure. I did try to envision them but definitely not possible.

Thanks Greyhound Fan. Will look a little more into those as well given the integration with their electrostatics is what they were designed for to begin with. But looks like the Dynamo doesn't have XLR inputs, which is probably what I need at this point with my gear.

Jack, I was planning to get one sub to begin with and put it in the center (smack in front of the fireplace) but not sure if the open fireplace behind it would be problematic or not.

-dave

Dave, I use all XLR's for my gear except for the subs.  I use an RCA to XLR adapter with good quality IC's.  It works great.  You don't need expensive XLR adapters as  I have a pair of expensive Cardas Adapters which sound no better than cheap $30 ones.  As far as the sound, we are talking about a freq. range from 20db to maybe 40db depending upon your preference.  XLR's won't make a difference.

On last thing to keep in mind, The ML subs come with a Wireless Transmitter so you can place them any where in  the room.   There is also a slightly larger Dynamo 1000 that goes deeper with more power.

Larry
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2018, 04:15 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #53 on: 5 Jun 2018, 03:08 pm »
I would block the opening off.  You could even order a panel from one of the companies like GIK to do it with.

How about putting the sub in the fireplace itself and just block/seal the top part of the fireplace?

I said that OB Rythmik is the way to go in a prior post, but if OB is not an option then a sealed Rythmik is the next best option.  I've heard most of the subs out there and the servo implementation that Rythmik uses is just better than anything else.  I rarely make blanket statements, but in this case it's warranted.  I'm not saying that there aren't excellent subs from other companies (there are), merely that Rythmik is better. 

Well, let me qualify that statement.  Rythmik is NOT a class leader when it comes to producing max SPL at 20hz.  There's other options (especially companies like SVS) that will do ultra deep bass louder.  Where Rythmik IS the class leader is power, punch, clarity and SPEED for 25hz to 200hz.  That's where they leave pretty much everything else in the dust.  IME.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 5 Jun 2018, 03:21 pm »
If space is a concern which it appears to be, I'd seriously look at the Rythmik F8.

One or two of them might be ideal. 

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F8.html

James Edward

« Reply #55 on: 11 Feb 2019, 11:06 pm »
Hello All,
I’m about to pull the trigger on a sub for my M3 Turbo’s. I can easily see the advantage of getting an OB sub; the bass should really meld well with the OB speakers. Plus, I really like the boxless sound the M3’s- my room was problematic in the bass region. No more with the Spatials.
The problem is, domestically, I really don’t have the space to place another OB speaker out from the wall. I need a sub that can be tucked into a corner situation. I can probably get away with 24” from either corner wall at most.
I ALSO don’t want to muck up the good thing I’ve got going on with the OB speaker bass. I could likely live with what I have now for bass; this is just a thought about getting that last bit of nirvana.
My thought is a sealed sub with a relatively small driver- 8 or 10 inch. Room size is about 12x16 with large openings to other rooms.
I would like to hear suggestions, as well as from those that added a sub and were disappointed in the result.
Thanks.

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #56 on: 12 Feb 2019, 12:24 pm »
I alternate with my M4's a Vandersteen 2w with diy Ripole (ob) subwoofers. The vandersteen really blends well with the Spatials. You need however to have a preamplifier though it is needed for the hp filter, which is inserted at line level. Your Spatials work then from 85 hz up. Because the Vandersteen is a sealed box and the 3 drivers are directed downward in a slot loaded configuration it works pretty well, very undirectional. The main advantage of using the Ripoles is thatbI have 2 and thus stereo subwoofers, The V. go lower though.