Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Prototype Web Site
« Reply #500 on: 10 Sep 2009, 06:06 pm »
We now have a new web site, but it's only a prototype so far.  Please take a look and send me a PM if you have comments.  We're with a new host and a new site designer now, so it may take a while to get everything just the way we want it.  Enjoy...

Here's the address:
http://www.digitalamp.com/Index.html

Thanks!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Cherry PLUS at a rave today?
« Reply #501 on: 12 Sep 2009, 02:39 pm »
I'm waiting for confirmation from Mike (mfsoa)...

He might bring a Cherry PLUS demo unit to a rave today:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70475.msg669318;topicseen#new

I'm going to a wedding and can't make it to this rave.

ooheadsoo

Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #502 on: 13 Sep 2009, 12:50 am »
I did as Tommy asked me to and the problem seem to be resolved.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
new DAC4800A and Cherry units for sale...
« Reply #503 on: 5 Oct 2009, 12:47 am »
Getting ready to put up several amps for sale...

We have a DAC4800A demo with only a slight ding in the rear top corner of the box.  Nearly unnoticeable...  This unit has the bigger power supply caps.

We also have a new Cherry PLUS in stock, including new gold input connectors, premium speaker connectors, and the newest hardware/chassis.  More to come...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Major Product Line Update
« Reply #504 on: 19 Oct 2009, 12:20 am »
We have updated our product line.  All models now have the bigger power supply caps, bigger heat sinks, new motherboard, and new super-heavy-duty chassis.

Here are some pictures...

New DAC4800A back:

New Cherry jr back:

(new premium gold binding posts)

New Cherry PLUS back:

(new ultra-premium insulated gold binding posts, new gold XLRs)

New DAC4800A front:

New Cherry FRONT (all Cherry models look the same from the front):

Sorry we don't have high quality photos just yet, but we're working on that.

We have several units in stock, and we're willing to sell them at a deep discount for AC members, so send a PM if you're interested.

Thanks to all.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 03:14 am by AmpDesigner333 »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Major Product Line Update
« Reply #505 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:22 am »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Some demos in stock
« Reply #506 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:29 pm »
We now have a DAC4800A demo in stock (old chassis, old motherboard) as well as a Cherry demo amp (old chassis, old motherboard).  Let me know if you are interested with a PM.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 03:13 am by AmpDesigner333 »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
At the Oct. 24th Rave...
« Reply #507 on: 25 Oct 2009, 08:53 pm »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #508 on: 27 Oct 2009, 05:44 pm »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
!!! Special Digital Amp Co Deals for November Only !!!
« Reply #509 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:42 pm »
For AC members ONLY, and only for the month of November.  These links are for NEW amps, as described by my recent posts.  Offer good until we sell off current inventory...

Cherry PLUS for $3600 (half price):
http://www.digitalamp.com/spec/New_Cherry_PLUS_AC_Nov_09.htm

Cherry for $2400 (60% off):
http://www.digitalamp.com/spec/New_Cherry_AC_Nov_09.htm

Cherry jr for $1800 (half price):
http://www.digitalamp.com/spec/New_Cherry_jr_AC_Nov_09.htm

DAC4800A for $1800 (half price):
http://www.digitalamp.com/spec/New_DAC4800A_AC_Nov_09.htm

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Special Edition Cherry
« Reply #510 on: 31 Oct 2009, 06:13 pm »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Special Edition Cherry
« Reply #511 on: 25 Nov 2009, 03:22 am »
We also have a special unit available here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73119.msg688123#msg688123

That unit has sold.

We are also out of the DAC4800A for now, but we still have a few Cherry jr and Cherry amps left at the special price mentioned above.

Only one Cherry PLUS left at the special price now...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Interesting thread!
« Reply #512 on: 25 Nov 2009, 04:26 am »
An interesting thread (see my comments) for fans of our amps:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73991.msg698555#msg698555

Had to put in my 2 cents...

More power usually comes with a few compromises, such as zero-crossing distortion, transient distortion, and noise.  We worked for decades to find a solution to these issues and think we've found it.  Doing so is not cheap, but it doesn't need to be outrageously expensive either.

A quick word about zero crossing distortion...  At low levels, high power Class-AB amps have real issues controlling a reactive load.  Imagine driving a car where the middle 10 degrees or so of steering wheel rotation has no effect on the direction of the car.

Regarding noise, the more power output, the louder the same noise figure (dB) with respect to maximum power sounds.  There's no magic, so you need really good SNR to sound good at low levels with high max power.

Another concern is peak output delivery.  If you can put out 100A into 4 ohms momentarily (micro- or milli-seconds), this is equivalent to 40,000W!  The path from the power supply to the speaker needs to be as direct as possible to provide clean peaks.

This is just touching on the subject, but hope it clears up a few issues that are commonly misunderstood.  Thanks for reading it!

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #513 on: 25 Nov 2009, 05:29 am »
Plenty of Cherry Amp mentions here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71724.msg685600;topicseen#new

I was at this Rave meet last month and got a chance to really hear what these Cherry amps can do. I was really quite impressed. Mike's main system with the Krell CD player, VAC Pre-Amp, and Van Schweikert VR4JR Sounded great. There was powerful bass, an open mid-range and an airy, detailed, and still smooth treble.

In the second system, there were a few different amps in and out of the system through out the day, and the Cherry Jr. Was superior in every way, to every other amp we heard there.
It really brought those Harbeth speakers to life...

I'm anxious to hear what my Gallo's can do with a Cherry driving them.

mfsoa

« Reply #514 on: 25 Nov 2009, 01:51 pm »
Barry,

Sorry, dude, you're wrong -

It's not the Krell or Cherry, it's the approximately 6' of diffusion/absorption I place just inboard of each of my right speakers.

The degree of forearm dampening on the top of each speaker is also critical.  :lol:

-Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #515 on: 25 Nov 2009, 02:34 pm »
I havent sat down with the Cherry amps to really make a confident assessment (Though what I heard sounded good!), but I can tell you that Tommy is a great guy and willing to personalize any amp he makes for the customer, and he is the real deal.
Mike

mfsoa

« Reply #516 on: 25 Nov 2009, 06:44 pm »
I felt that I maybe went out on a limb a little bit the first time I heard a Cherry, proclaiming it to be the real deal despite not having heard nearly as many different amps as many of you have. There was some sort of rightness to my ears, and a degree of imaging precision that I really found to be amazing.

So each time I hear someone else who was pleased with the Cherry lineup's sound I give a brief "whew" and think that my ears might not be too bad after all!

There's this audiophile phenomenon that when you demo your system to friends (or a LOT of friends like at a Rave) that your system sounds a bit off to you, and jeez you guys should have heard it last week, it was singin' but now there's just something not quite right etc...  But I gotta say I've never heard my system sound better than at the Oct. Rave, a sentiment kindly shared to me by many Ravers. Unfortunately I had to return the Krell and the balanced TARA cables and put my Rotel CDP back in so the SQ took a noticable step backwards  :(.

Certainly if the Cherry amps were crummy there's no way 20+ really serious audiophiles would have to listen to it at very loud volumes for hours and hours and come away pleased with the overall sound quality.

-Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #517 on: 25 Nov 2009, 07:10 pm »
I felt that I maybe went out on a limb a little bit the first time I heard a Cherry, proclaiming it to be the real deal despite not having heard nearly as many different amps as many of you have. There was some sort of rightness to my ears, and a degree of imaging precision that I really found to be amazing.

So each time I hear someone else who was pleased with the Cherry lineup's sound I give a brief "whew" and think that my ears might not be too bad after all!

There's this audiophile phenomenon that when you demo your system to friends (or a LOT of friends like at a Rave) that your system sounds a bit off to you, and jeez you guys should have heard it last week, it was singin' but now there's just something not quite right etc...  But I gotta say I've never heard my system sound better than at the Oct. Rave, a sentiment kindly shared to me by many Ravers. Unfortunately I had to return the Krell and the balanced TARA cables and put my Rotel CDP back in so the SQ took a noticable step backwards  :( .

Certainly if the Cherry amps were crummy there's no way 20+ really serious audiophiles would have to listen to it at very loud volumes for hours and hours and come away pleased with the overall sound quality.

-Mike

I hear ya Mike. I remember when your system was all VAC and as nice as it did sound, I didn't like the "soft" limited sound stage. Now this was like 2 years ago and I haven't had the chance to hear your present system with the upgraded Cherry but from what I remember from that RAVE 2 years ago when you 1st tried out Tommy's 4800 in your system, I remember there was a stark sound stage improvement, both in clarity, dynamics and in the actual depth of the sound stage itself. There have been times when I've heard this amp with a SS pre and I find the sound to simply be too much of a good thing (read listeners fatigue) but when paired with a tubed pre, there's added body to the already crsip clear sound and it does sound good,, really good. :thumb: And for speakers that like lots of power that the Cherry provides, things get really interesting @ high volumes. I can well imagine with the continuing refinements Tommy has made to his powerful amplfiers, the good things I remember hearing have only gotten better.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
improvements
« Reply #518 on: 25 Nov 2009, 08:03 pm »
Thanks to all who posted such nice comments recently!   :D

Like Robin guessed, there have been several improvements over just the last year, such as:
   - new motherboard (lots better about it like larger heat sinks, beefier traces, etc.)
   - improved input stage
   - bigger power supply caps
   - even more powerful transformers
   - new "rock solid" chassis with available premium binding posts and XLRs
   - improved output filter

Even our shipping containers were improved.  We are very proud of all this progress despite a tough 2009.  Our customers are smart people willing to give a relatively unknown and small company a chance, and we owe it all to them.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Cherry PLUS Demo!
« Reply #519 on: 30 Nov 2009, 05:50 pm »
We will have a Cherry PLUS demo unit available soon.  Any takers?  Low mileage (<10 hours)...