Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #420 on: 9 Mar 2009, 04:44 am »
I get to hear a new Cherry Plus Tues at my place.   :thumb:

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ted, are you thinking of trying the 4800 or Cherry Plus?

I'd love to hear two Cherrys vertically biamp something...

-Mike

I don't know.  I'm open to whatever.  Seems there is a good synergy with SP Techs and so I'd be willing to demo with my Revelations (monoblocks or biamped).

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
We are going to sell a few Cherry PLUS units to AC members for $2400.  The list price will be $7200.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com if you are interested.  First come, first served.  Once the first lot is sold, it will take months to build more due to component lead times.  Sorry, but this will end once the first few units are sold.  We also ask that buyers agree to provide a review of this fine amp, and no "AC newbies", please.  Thanks.

Regards,
Tommy

cab

We are going to sell a few Cherry PLUS units to AC members for $2400.  The list price will be $7200. 

Anyone else having a hard time understanding the pricing strategy?

Are you selling at a loss at $2400? Are you hoping to generate great reviews that will cause people to want to pony up $7200 for something that was sold for 1/3 of that?

Does the $7200 price have any rational relationship to manufacturing costs or was it chosen to make the $2400 price look like a great deal? After the deal is over, is the actual price of these going to be $7200? If not, maybe a list price of $10,000 would work even better!

Price gimmicks on equipment at these prices seems a bit out of place. Most reputable manufacturers set a stable price at a reasonable percentage above cost and offer small discounts as incentives for promotions. The way these are priced and marketed, I am holding out for the 2 for 1 deal with the bonus pack of ShamWows thrown in when I call the 800 number.....

RodMCV

Suit yourself.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
We are going to sell a few Cherry PLUS units to AC members for $2400.  The list price will be $7200. 

Are you selling at a loss at $2400? Are you hoping to generate great reviews that will cause people to want to pony up $7200 for something that was sold for 1/3 of that?

This is only for a few units to get them out for reaction and to help those who wouldn't normally be able to afford such a piece of equipment.  Thanks for your "kind" post.

Warm Regards,
Tommy
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2009, 01:13 am by AmpDesigner333 »

bummrush

« Reply #425 on: 9 Mar 2009, 11:59 pm »
What good is the purpose of a substantially high list price, then you kinda go off in a corner and say but boy do i ever have a deal on it at this price.I really dont get it.

RodMCV

« Reply #426 on: 10 Mar 2009, 01:18 am »
If you don't get it, go rag on some other web page.

I have been into the circle awhile and Tommy is not the first Cottage designer to work this way, so whats the beef?

Concider the early adopters Beta testers, if that makes you feel better.

YMMV,

Rod

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013

Does the $7200 price have any rational relationship to manufacturing costs or was it chosen to make the $2400 price look like a great deal? After the deal is over, is the actual price of these going to be $7200? If not, maybe a list price of $10,000 would work even better!

Price gimmicks on equipment at these prices seems a bit out of place. Most reputable manufacturers set a stable price at a reasonable percentage above cost and offer small discounts as incentives for promotions. The way these are priced and marketed, I am holding out for the 2 for 1 deal with the bonus pack of ShamWows thrown in when I call the 800 number.....

Let's face it cab, you have no intention of buying anything here, you're just running your mouth for the sake of running your mouth. :nono: I don't see where you're holding out in that respect. :lol:

While I do understand you're (and bummrush) questioning of a $7200 going for $2400 (many other audio businesses use the same strategy i'm afraid), $2400 is a very fair price from what I've heard from the Cherry's performance and Tommy deserves better than stupid trash talk from you. :thumbdown:

Cheers,
Robin

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
only a few Cherry PLUS units at $2400
« Reply #428 on: 10 Mar 2009, 01:22 am »
We care about our CUSTOMERS.  Such a deal is bound to make certain people (competitors?) upset.  Once again, this is a limited offer, and many of our customers have told us our amps are the best sounding amps they have ever heard, regardless of price.  Thanks to our customers and supporters, we have been very fortunate, and would not be able to sell anything at such a deep discount otherwise...

rms

« Reply #429 on: 10 Mar 2009, 01:30 am »
I agree with Robin. I have not met Tommy but I can tell you he has a great product that he is trying to get out there. I appreciate him offering a discounted price because I would not currently be enjoying such a phenomenal amplifier otherwise. I say grab one at a great price now or wish that you had.

jman66

« Reply #430 on: 10 Mar 2009, 01:59 am »
What good is the purpose of a substantially high list price, then you kinda go off in a corner and say but boy do i ever have a deal on it at this price.I really dont get it.

The "deal" is a limited offer to get the amp into AudioCircle members' hands at a price that fits the current economic conditions.
Tommy gets to sell amps - folks get a great deal. No different than the $$$ the auto makers are discounting at.
Would the reaction be the same if your favorite audio manufacturer presented the same offer strategy?
At this price, some folks are going to be able to grab an amp which could very well be their final amp and one that they could never afford at the regular price. A win-win situation.  :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #431 on: 10 Mar 2009, 02:18 am »
 Such a deal is bound to make certain people (competitors?) upset,,,,,,Previous from before,,,,,its like this line you throw in which is supposed to have some kind of basis in something,what ,who the heck knows what that even means.i doubt any competitors could care less.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

I have a hard time understanding you cab.  :scratch:

From what I know of DAC and Tommy, I'd say they are reputable, maybe you meant "well established" manufacturers? There are several "reputable" direct to consumer manufacturers that I know of that sell new products at introductory prices. Manufacturers with a dealer network have to do things differently than a direct manufacturer.
I don't understand why you worry so much about DAC's business model, do you own stock?  :wink:
Say a pizzeria normally sells their medium pizza for $10 and this is viewed by many as a good value, if they decide to have a medium special once a week and sell it for $6, does this mean the other 6 days when the pizza is $10 is no longer a good value?
I cannot afford many of my favorite cars, but if a dealer (manufacturer) decided to sell me one at half price, I wouldn't complain, I'd buy the thing!

+1 on what others have posted in Tommy's defense.

Lin  :)

bummrush

« Reply #433 on: 10 Mar 2009, 02:27 am »
Point to me where any of your listings suggested a 7200 price.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #434 on: 10 Mar 2009, 02:37 am »
Point to me where any of your listings suggested a 7200 price.

We are going to sell a few Cherry PLUS units to AC members for $2400.  The list price will be $7200. Email Support@DigitalAmp.com if you are interested.  First come, first served.  Once the first lot is sold, it will take months to build more due to component lead times.  Sorry, but this will end once the first few units are sold.  We also ask that buyers agree to provide a review of this fine amp, and no "AC newbies", please.  Thanks.

Regards,
Tommy

orientalexpress

« Reply #435 on: 10 Mar 2009, 02:41 am »
Man,i was cautious at first about DAC amp.i was giving a 30 day trial at no risk.when i first heard it,I go, Damn this amp is pretty good,Then i saw rydenfan post a Spectrons amp for sale,i was all over it because of alot great review on here and everywhere on the net.before the spectron amp arrive,i try to sell the DAC amp at $1100.00 ship.no one bite,then i hook up spectron amp and listen for awhile and i didn't like it as much,i thought something wrong with my ears,so i invited a couple friends come over the weekend,we're do A/B both amp using arcam 74t>>>MW transporter>>>AVA T-8>>>amp >>>>SP tech speakers.using Alison Krause,Rodrigo Gabriela,Fredric Chopin,Opus3 test CD.They're all said DAC sound better .i sold my spectron amp to Ironlion the next couple week.I'm happy ever since with this set up.Sometime the best way to compare amps is to have both amp on hand,I'm glad i never sold 4800A amp otherwise i don't have anything to compare with. :thumb:

lapsan

cab

I have a hard time understanding you cab.  :scratch:

From what I know of DAC and Tommy, I'd say they are reputable, maybe you meant "well established" manufacturers? There are several "reputable" direct to consumer manufacturers that I know of that sell new products at introductory prices. Manufacturers with a dealer network have to do things differently than a direct manufacturer.
I don't understand why you worry so much about DAC's business model, do you own stock?  :wink:
Say a pizzeria normally sells their medium pizza for $10 and this is viewed by many as a good value, if they decide to have a medium special once a week and sell it for $6, does this mean the other 6 days when the pizza is $10 is no longer a good value?
I cannot afford many of my favorite cars, but if a dealer (manufacturer) decided to sell me one at half price, I wouldn't complain, I'd buy the thing!

+1 on what others have posted in Tommy's defense.

I am not "worrying so much" about DAC's business model- I simply asked if others found this marketing plan odd. Your are right- there are certain things that are customarily sold with large discounts as promotions- pizza, pocket fisherman, extenzs, etc....I know of no high end audio manufacturer that sells a $7000+ component at a 67%+ discount as a promotion.

But hey, I hope he sells a ton of them....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #437 on: 10 Mar 2009, 10:56 am »
Thanks, guys!
   :)

Tommy

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

I am not "worrying so much" about DAC's business model- I simply asked if others found this marketing plan odd. Your are right- there are certain things that are customarily sold with large discounts as promotions- pizza, pocket fisherman, extenzs, etc....I know of no high end audio manufacturer that sells a $7000+ component at a 67%+ discount as a promotion.

But hey, I hope he sells a ton of them....

My point was not about comparing apples to oranges (or stereo equipment to pizza), but perceived value.
For a number of people $7200 for a top quality amp is not out of line (take a look at what is out there at this price point and even higher). What a manufacturer sets the list price at is up to them and if they want to sell a few units below cost to get more of their product out to build a name for themselves that is also up to them.
At times manufacturers (and others) do things that I don't understand or agree with, but I don't post (multiple times) bashing them for their decisions.

rms

« Reply #439 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:24 pm »
Hey Tommy - I'm afraid my emails are not getting through to you. Could you please call Tim at Luminous Audio;

Luminous Audio Technology
1312 N Parham Rd
Richmond, VA 23229
(804) 741-5826

He needs more detail about the amp to be able to properly configure the Axiom attenuator for me. Please give him the specs for the 4800A and the Cherry Plus.

And you have my email address - if possible could you also give me an alternate way to contact you?
I am interested in purchasing another amp.

Thanks,
Mitch