Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

mca

Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #240 on: 22 Sep 2008, 12:35 am »
Perhaps this was asked on one of the pages, but are you planning to attend RMAF? I know a lot of people from this forum will be attending and that would be a good way to get a listen.

THE_ANSWERS

« Reply #241 on: 22 Sep 2008, 01:55 pm »
well..........  i started here due to this topic becuase my friend who moved away years ago had a dac amp and i thought  " hey i bet im one of the few people out there that has actually heard or seen one"    i was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   not much has changed

after reading all the comments,    and lots of useless junk,   i don't know any more now except that d.a.c.,   that name still confuses me,   is tryig to be different by selling in strange ways like ebay and amazon.    i said before thats dumb and now other members finally chime in that they think the same.   its like nobody listened to me    sometimes people write stuff just to hear themselves talk  .....or to see themselves type

:roll:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #242 on: 22 Sep 2008, 02:38 pm »
Amp D333,

I suggest you attend the next Rave and leave the amp to do a tour.  Most of the time, quick impression is about all you can get of a gear in a big social gathering.  You really need a week or so to get a good sense of the gear.  I would leave the amp with the host and schedule a review tour.  Most reviewers will be glad to pay the forwarding shipping charge, I think.  I am interested. 

P.S.  Chris, sending the RAVE CD with the amp on the tour (if there is one) would be nice.  Then everyone can comment on the same tracks. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #243 on: 22 Sep 2008, 04:25 pm »
Amp D333,

I suggest you attend the next Rave and leave the amp to do a tour.  Most of the time, quick impression is about all you can get of a gear in a big social gathering.  You really need a week or so to get a good sense of the gear.  I would leave the amp with the host and schedule a review tour.  Most reviewers will be glad to pay the forwarding shipping charge, I think.  I am interested. 

P.S.  Chris, sending the RAVE CD with the amp on the tour (if there is one) would be nice.  Then everyone can comment on the same tracks. 

That's a good idea Rim.... :thumb:

This coming Saturday (9/27) is the next Rave at topround's/Mike's in Ramsey, N.J.

I've read that Tommy and his amp may attend the Oct. Rave...but if he moves it up to the Sept. Rave, it can be "home auditioned" by the Raver's living close to topround's (in their systems) as well.
And there are quiet a few in that local ....as well as a pro reviewer (friend of topround's).
It can then he delivered to the Oct. Rave to make another appearance....with more photo's and comments.

So....all in all....two Rave's...photo's....Raver home audition comments... I think that would give most a good handle on how this amp performs....and no more beating the horse... :deadhorse:   :lol:

I will alert topround to this thread.....good luck. :thumb:

Chris

richidoo

« Reply #244 on: 22 Sep 2008, 04:43 pm »
Our group in NC gets together about every 6 weeks. I would be happy to host a tour stop for DAC.

Don't forget Tommy still has that $900 prototype which I think (still waiting for PM response) has the current spec DAC4800 circuit in the older chassis. I'm tempted to try it, but I don't want the old version. Someone else might though...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Rave in Ramsey, NJ Sept 27th
« Reply #245 on: 22 Sep 2008, 06:26 pm »
Amp D333,

That's a good idea Rim.... :thumb:

This coming Saturday (9/27) is the next Rave at topround's/Mike's in Ramsey, N.J.

I've read that Tommy and his amp may attend the Oct. Rave...but if he moves it up to the Sept. Rave, it can be "home auditioned" by the Raver's living close to topround's (in their systems) as well.
And there are quiet a few in that local ....as well as a pro reviewer (friend of topround's).
It can then he delivered to the Oct. Rave to make another appearance....with more photo's and comments.

So....all in all....two Rave's...photo's....Raver home audition comments... I think that would give most a good handle on how this amp performs....and no more beating the horse... :deadhorse:   :lol:

I will alert topround to this thread.....good luck. :thumb:

Chris

I asked Mike with a PM, but didn't hear back.  Where can I get EXACT info about the one this weekend in Ramsey, NJ.  We'd like to go!  Thanks.

mcullinan

« Reply #246 on: 22 Sep 2008, 06:33 pm »
AmpD333,
PM topround its his rave this month.
Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #247 on: 22 Sep 2008, 09:04 pm »
AmpD333,
PM topround its his rave this month.
Mike

I contacted him and read through the NYAR Sept 08 thread.  I hope there are some BIG speakers there...  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Audio Review Still Hasn't Responded
« Reply #248 on: 26 Sep 2008, 02:13 am »
We tried twice to add the DAC4800A amplifier (see http://www.digitalamp.com/4800a_amp1.htm) to Audio Review so we can get customers to add reviews there. However, there is no selection for adding a new manufacturer. The listing shows up with "unknown" as the manufacturer. Here's the link:
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/unknown/dac4800a/PRD_419903_1583crx.aspx

We wrote to them, but no reply. We posted to the help board, but the post was removed. We just asked again through the "contact us" link, but we're not holding our breath.

Does anyone here in Audio Circle know somebody in charge at Audio Review? We would like to get on the manufacturers list. Locking us out is just not fair. Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
NYAR September 27th Rave
« Reply #249 on: 28 Sep 2008, 01:57 am »
I attended the NYAR rave today and played both a DAC4800A demo with the standard transformer and a DAC4800A premium (not available on the website yet) with a 1500W transformer.  It was great to meet everyone!  Please post any comments on the sound here.  Next stop, the October rave in NJ (Phillipsburg, I think).  Thanks everybody, especially Mike for hosting.

Best Regards,
Tommy

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #250 on: 28 Sep 2008, 03:01 am »
Well I for 1 won't be flogging the horse anymore. :lol: It's always a pleasure to meet an audio manufacturer. At the last RAVE @ Jims I got to meet Vinnie Rossi of Red Wine Audio and today at Mike's RAVE I met Tom of Digital Amplifier Company. Tommy's amps are the real deal with lots of potential. I particuliarly liked Tommy's Cherry amp in Mikes system. Crystal clear audio, maybe a little too much so when connected with Tommy's DAC w/volume control. Myself I loved it. :thumb: When we replaced Tommy's DAC with Mike's Mapletree tube preamp, things definitely mellowed out and that sounded pretty damn nice also with Mike's Audio Physic Virgo loudspeakers which also impressed the hell outta me.

I will be looking forward to hearing the Cherry amp at next month's RAVE when connected to a set of VSR VR4JR loudspeakers. I've always wanted to hear a set of Von Schweikert Loudspeakers and having Tommy's Cherry amp should make for a nice listening session. :drool:

Thanks for going out of your way so's to allow us to hear your amps Tommy. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Mariusz

« Reply #251 on: 28 Sep 2008, 04:32 am »
Tommy

thanks for opportunity to listen to your gear. Since I am a "tube" guy, my opinion is less then valuable but.......they (amps) did sound very nice. Definitely worth looking into if a lots of clean power is needed.
Chris and his SP Minis could be one of the candidates to match with Tommy's amps.  :scratch:
 Also, I would imagine that Maggies or SoundLabs could benefited from these beasts.

Cheers
Mariusz  :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
New Name for DAC???
« Reply #252 on: 28 Sep 2008, 05:18 am »
OK, we're now taking suggestions on the new name for DAC.

Already mentioned was DACO (mine), DA, and DAD.  Since our web site is "Digital Amp"...

By the way, 333 was the PA lottery number tonight.  Thanks again to Mike and everyone.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #253 on: 28 Sep 2008, 05:31 am »
By the way, 333 was the PA lottery number tonight.

$0.50 Straight bet pays $250.00 .....hope you placed a bet.  :hyper:

Thanks for attending the Rave Tommy....your two amps did sound good....the addition of a tube preamp, in this case Mike's Mapletree, did add to the enjoyment.

Looking forward to hearing them again in October.  8)

OK, we're now taking suggestions on the new name for DAC.

Good idea..... :wink:

Chris

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Power Conditioning with the DAC4800A and Cherry
« Reply #254 on: 1 Oct 2008, 02:14 am »
Taken from the NYAR thread today...

Quick question about the DAC amp...was it being run thru a power conditioner?  I find that most Class D amps have some problems sounding a bit brash/harsh without it...

The DAC4800A and Cherry are designed to tolerate large AC mains fluctuations so you shouldn't need any line conditioning (save some money there).  In fact, there were several instances when the lights dimmed at Mike's, so there might have been a few brief brown outs, and the DAC4800A played through them without any noticeable effect.

Mike, I plugged into the large outlet strip.  Was that fed with a conditioner?  If so, what type?

I'm looking forward to playing the DAC4800A and probably a Cherry (sorry we were sold out) at the other Mike's house in October...  Thanks.

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: Power Conditioning with the DAC4800A and Cherry
« Reply #255 on: 1 Oct 2008, 02:18 am »

Quick question about the DAC amp...was it being run thru a power conditioner?  I find that most Class D amps have some problems sounding a bit brash/harsh without it...

The DAC4800A and Cherry are designed to tolerate large AC mains fluctuations so you shouldn't need any line conditioning (save some money there).  In fact, there were several instances when the lights dimmed at Mike's, so there might have been a few brief brown outs, and the DAC4800A played through them without any noticeable effect.

Mike, I plugged into the large outlet strip.  Was that fed with a conditioner?  If so, what type?

I'm looking forward to playing the DAC4800A and probably a Cherry (sorry we were sold out) at the other Mike's house in October...  Thanks.

No conditioner at Mikes, that power strip was a Niam approved strip tho, I use the same strip as an extension out of my BPT. I would be interested to hear your amps thru a good power conditioner tho. You might be surprised Tommy. :D

Cheers,
Robin

jhm731

« Reply #256 on: 1 Oct 2008, 03:01 am »

No conditioner at Mikes, that power strip was a Niam approved strip tho, I use the same strip as an extension out of my BPT. I would be interested to hear your amps thru a good power conditioner tho. You might be surprised Tommy. :D

Cheers,
Robin

I had the DAC4800A plugged into a RSA Duke and it didn't make any difference.

From what I can see, the DAC4800A has an AC line filter similar to the "Felix."

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #257 on: 1 Oct 2008, 03:24 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Really,,,, now that would be a first and definitely a step all manufacturers should take a look at. Bet Occam would be interested in taking a look at that line filter. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Occam

« Reply #258 on: 1 Oct 2008, 05:35 am »
I like to look at any and all line filters, which is really a sad comment on my life......  :lol:

As I've said previously, power conditioning ideally should be incorporated into each component, sized and designed for that specific component. When all is said and done, power conditioning, including my own, is an older, known technology, but still, much of the efficacy depends upon the choice of components, some of which, frankly does not correlate well with accepted engineering. When asked why this filter subjectively is prefferable to another (barring difference in filtration characteristics), I can only respond 'its the goober dust' I had thought about some nonsense about a vision quest, communing with the spirits of Maxwell, Tesla and Edison, but frankly, that simply stuck me as being too far over the top, if not downright ludicrious.

jhm731

« Reply #259 on: 1 Oct 2008, 05:47 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Really,,,, now that would be a first and definitely a step all manufacturers should take a look at. Bet Occam would be interested in taking a look at that line filter. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Not a first. All of the digital amps and SMPS PSUs I've seen have AC line filters. Some use off the shelf filters, and some like the DAC4800A and Aberdeen units use higher quality components.

« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2008, 01:17 am by jhm731 »