Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings

abomwell

Re: Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jul 2021, 12:37 pm »
I think choral music should not be on any list of demonstration music. Very few audiophiles will tolerate it even for very short period.
A guy played Tallis Scholars Allegri: Miserere at CAF, and it quickly cleared out the room of a dozen people despite the host serving free beer!

I had a friend come over to hear my speakers and I played a series of short, under 5 min, pieces of varied genres among which was Mozart's Ave verum Corpus, motet for chorus, strings & organ K 618. Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Robert Shaw on Telarc. My friend listens 99% to jazz but was literally moved to tears! Turns out he was a boy soprano in his church's choir when a young boy. One never knows what to expect  I guess!

Al

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jul 2021, 12:48 pm »
Speaking of Choral works, this is the best I've ever heard the Mahler 8th sound.  And best of all - streaming on Qobuz:

Thanks Tyson.  I agree.  I have the Thierry Fischer with Utah Symphony Orchestra version, Reference Recordings (FR725SACD).

I appreciate your pointing this out because it brings up an important point.  I have dozens of recordings which could be on a list like this one.  Somehow, I have to pare it down to one or two examples of each type (orchestral, choral, violin solo, piano, etc.).  But, members are very welcome to add their choice so the list is as robust as possible.  The important criteria on this list is performance and sonics.  Does the recording provide the listener with thrilling sound from the listener's system?

Thanks again!  Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jul 2021, 12:52 pm »
I had a friend come over to hear my speakers and I played a series of short, under 5 min, pieces of varied genres among which was Mozart's Ave verum Corpus, motet for chorus, strings & organ K 618. Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Robert Shaw on Telarc. My friend listens 99% to jazz but was literally moved to tears! Turns out he was a boy soprano in his church's choir when a young boy. One never knows what to expect  I guess!

Al

Thank you Al.  This is a great story.  I have an AC member coming over today to audition my X3s.  We'll see how it goes.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2021, 11:55 pm »
Doug came over today to listen to my X3s.  He ordered a pair of X5s and wasn't sure what to expect.  I played a couple minutes from each of my "demo worthy" albums.  He was particularly impressed by the violin piece.  He commented favorably on the wide soundstage and depth plus strong center image.  He handed me several of his own discs and we played a couple tracks from each.  He said he liked everything he heard.  I enjoyed very much being able to do this for a Spatial customer.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2021, 07:41 pm »
Rachmaninov: Piano Concertos 2 & 3

Yevgeny Sudbin (piano)
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sakari Oramo (conductor)

Evaluate your system for Piano and Orchestra.  Selecting a piano piece to discuss has proven to be a real challenge.  There are many available.  In fact, I will add a few notable alternatives below.

Music Web International, Roy Westbrook, "But this pairing of the two most popular of the Rachmaninov concertos should take its place among the best of recent times."
Classics Today, David Hurwitz, "It’s really one of the better accounts of this piece in many years, assisted in no small degree by Oramo’s alert conducting and BIS’s typically realistic, well-balanced engineering."
HR Audio.Net, Adrian Quanjer, "There aren’t many two plus three on-a-disc on the market. And while it may not be my one hundred per cent ideal performance, BIS’ offer is not to be neglected and may for now well be the best choice for your hard earned cash. The more so because of the excellent recording quality, which only few, and hardly none of the competition are able to match."

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD, Download
Original Recording Format: 24-bit / 96 kHz
BIS (BIS-2338)
Producer: Marion Schwebel (Take5 Music Production), Sound engineer: Andreas Ruge, Editing and mixing: Marion Schwebel
Venue: BBC Maida Vale Studios, London, England
Recording Date: February 2017
Release Date: January, 2018
Grand Piano: Steinway D

Download available at eClassical https://www.eclassical.com/performers/sudbin-yevgeny/rachmaninov-piano-concertos-nos-2-3.html

This is a very popular set of piano pieces.  This recording has masterful engineering and should sound fantastic on your system.  Reviewers were impressed with the performance, however there were a few quibbles over speed.

On Qobuz:  Search for...
Yevgeny Sudbin, select SEE ALL RELEASES.  The Rachmaninoff: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 is there in 24/96 stereo

I'll post a few alternatives next.

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2021, 05:05 pm by Desertpilot »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2021, 08:44 pm »
This is the single best recorded piano piece in my collection.  "Evening Conversations" by David Fung from Yarlung Records.  The cd and lp are available from https://www.yarlungrecords.com/
The sound is exactly what you hear from the perspective of the pianist- a different animal from being off to the side in a living room or the much more remote sound of a concert hall.  Selections are from Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Scarlotti, Chopin, Schumann, and Tan Dun.  The sound is immediate and powerful, with full reverberation of the bass that a 9' grand creates. 

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2021, 01:12 am »
Beethoven: Concerto in C Major for Pianoforte, Violin, Violoncello and Orchestra, Op. 56 "Triple Concerto", Piano Trio in E-flat Major, Op. 38 after the Septet, Op. 20

Van Baerle Trio
Residentie Orkest The Hague
Jan Willem de Vriend (conductor)

Evaluate your system for Piano and Orchestra.

I'm adding some more piano pieces for your information.  I have the entire 5 volume series and while chamber music, I think all the recordings are superb even if just to hear the gorgeous piano.  The piano used in this series is a "straight strung" Chris Maene Concert Grand built in 2017.  There is an English subtitled video informing you of construction of this very interesting piano.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO7xWoIRrE0.  These pianos are built in conjunction with Steinway.

HR Audio.Net, Adrian Quanjer, "Taken all 5 volumes together, the Van Baerle Trio has set down a survey that can easily measure up to other top sets, no matter how complete they may be, with this one having the additional advantage of great sound, the inclusion of a superbly played Septet Op. 20 transcription, and last but not least a remarkable account of the ‘Triple Concerto’. So, why not go for it!"

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD, and download.  For SACD, a box set for all 5 volumes is offered.
Liner notes pdf and sample tracks are available at Native DSD.
Original Recording Format: DXD.  If you want the DXD 352.8 version you have to go to Challenge Classics download website here https://www.spiritofturtle.com/shop/complete-works-for-piano-trio-vol-5-download/?v=796834e7a283.
Challenge Classics  (CC 72801)
Venue: Atrium City Hall The Hague (Triple Concerto), Studio 1 of the Dutch Radio, Hilversum (Trio Op. 38).
Recording Date:  November & December, 2019
Release date: March, 2020
Producer, engineer, editing & mastering: Bert van der Wolf

The 3 volume series of Beethoven Piano Concertos is also wonderful (and a box set as well).

Van Baerle Trio, select SEE ALL RELEASES.  All 5 volumes are there.  24/44.1 stereo

Enjoy

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2021, 05:06 pm by Desertpilot »

sumoking

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jul 2021, 01:40 am »
Well done Marcus.
I had a feeling you would follow up on my suggestion.

I do think there is space for an overall demo worthy thread for all types of music and ideally it would be integrated into one thread with the background detail that you have included.

Bravo.

Cheers,
Sumo
(Spatial Audio X-3 Owner)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #28 on: 31 Jul 2021, 04:39 am »
Beethoven: Concerto in C Major for Pianoforte, Violin, Violoncello and Orchestra, Op. 56 "Triple Concerto", Piano Trio in E-flat Major, Op. 38 after the Septet, Op. 20

Van Baerle Trio
Residentie Orkest The Hague
Jan Willem de Vriend (conductor)

I'm adding some more piano pieces for your information.  I have the entire 5 volume series and while chamber music, I think all the recordings are superb even if just to hear the gorgeous piano.  The piano used in this series is a "straight strung" Chris Maene Concert Grand built in 2017.  There is an English subtitled video informing you of construction of this very interesting piano.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO7xWoIRrE0.  These pianos are built in conjunction with Steinway.

HR Audio.Net, Adrian Quanjer, "Taken all 5 volumes together, the Van Baerle Trio has set down a survey that can easily measure up to other top sets, no matter how complete they may be, with this one having the additional advantage of great sound, the inclusion of a superbly played Septet Op. 20 transcription, and last but not least a remarkable account of the ‘Triple Concerto’. So, why not go for it!"

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD, and download.  For SACD, a box set for all 5 volumes is offered.
Lines notes pdf and sample tracks are available at Native DSD.
Original Recording Format: DXD.  If you want the DXD 352.8 version you have to go to Challenge Classics download website here https://www.spiritofturtle.com/shop/complete-works-for-piano-trio-vol-5-download/?v=796834e7a283.
Challenge Classics  (CC 72801)
Venue: Atrium City Hall The Hague (Triple Concerto), Studio 1 of the Dutch Radio, Hilversum (Trio Op. 38).
Recording Date:  November & December, 2019
Release date: March, 2020
Producer, engineer, editing & mastering: Bert van der Wolf

The 3 volume series of Beethoven Piano Concertos is also wonderful (and a box set as well).

Enjoy

Marcus

Nice rec.  Actually the entire set of Beethoven symphonies conducted by de Vriend is exceptional sonically and performance.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2021, 11:35 am »
Well done Marcus.
I had a feeling you would follow up on my suggestion.

I do think there is space for an overall demo worthy thread for all types of music and ideally it would be integrated into one thread with the background detail that you have included.

Bravo.

Cheers,
Sumo
(Spatial Audio X-3 Owner)

Thank you for your feedback.  I initially tried to do a separate circle but since I am 99% classical, I felt this circle was a better home.  I'm glad you found me here to follow up on your suggestion.  Your X3 video and Clayton interview was a vital part of my buying decision.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jul 2021, 12:00 pm »
Nice rec.  Actually the entire set of Beethoven symphonies conducted by de Vriend is exceptional sonically and performance.

Thanks Tyson.  I have completed my original plan of offering information about a variety of demonstration worthy recordings.  I would like to continue with additional recordings I feel are also excellent.  You probably noticed that my reviews are all fairly recent and high resolution.  This is my choice for music in my home.  I am all solid state gear and set up for multichannel (5.0) so I always lean towards music in both stereo and multichannel.  I do not own LPs nor a turntable.

For everyone's information, I will list my equipment:

QNAP NAS to store all my music.
1GB internet (COX), Netgear CM 1000 modem, Ubiquity Dream Machine Router, Audio upgraded network switch.
Bluejeans audio cables, 12 gauge speaker wire, Cat 6a ethernet cables, HDMI cables.
Homebuilt Core i7 Windows 10 PC as my music server (I may invest in an Intel NUC as a separate music server).
ROON and Qobuz (for audio), JRiver Media Center (for tagging music files and Video)
AudioQuest Cinnamon Digital Audio USB Cable A-B
exaSound S88 multichannel DAC.
Marantz AV8805 Pre/Pro (for movies and NVidia Shield Pro streaming)
Parasound Halo A52+ amplifier
Spatial Audio Lab X3 open baffle speakers.  Speakers are 5 feet from the front wall with GIK 6A absorber/diffusor panels behind them.  I sit 11 feet back from the speakers.  Very modest toe-in.  The room is 30 feet long.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #31 on: 31 Jul 2021, 03:31 pm »
Berlioz: La Damnation de Faust

Karen Cargill (mezzo)
Bryan Hymel (tenor)
Christopher Purves (baritone)
Gábor Bretz (bass)
London Symphony Chorus
London Symphony Orchestra
Sir Simon Rattle (conductor)

Evaluate your system for male and female soloists plus choir.

This release is one of my favorites and many 5 star critical reviews.  From my HR Audio.Net comment:  "Faust. I am fascinated by the story. We all have our dark moments of despair in life. Some may choose suicide; Faust certainly was close until he heard the church bells off in the distance. Most of us, as I have constantly reminded my children, wait it out until the darkness lifts. In my experience, it always does. Faust, however, chose to make a deal with the Devil."

The entire concert was on YouTube but it must be taken down now.  Here is a video of the "Hungarian March" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7okulqWTP2Q

Mike Ashman wrote a glowing review for Gramophone. I want to draw your attention to his characterization of the soloists: "There’s no lack of either angst or love in Bryan Hymel’s emotional and stylish reading of the title-part and a special richness about Karen Cargill’s fantasies as Marguerite. Christopher Purves manages both wit and a specially sleazy nastiness as the victorious Devil (actually, the Devil's agent) and Gábor Bretz is strong and straightforward as Brander." I added the following comment:  Christopher Purves' baritone voice is exceptional. He really gets in to the role and towards the end, as he leads Faust in to hell, he mocks Faust with truly "dark" emotion.  Purves' voice is powerful, commanding and comes through as victorious. Meanwhile, Faust twists in agony and despair. His singing, filled with regret and pleading for mercy, is in strong counterpoint to Purves.  It is a moment to savor.
Robert Levine for Classics Today writes:  "This is a wonderful, vivid performance. Rattle handles the scene transitions almost cinematically. ...And the LSO is brilliant throughout—the pianissimos sometimes merely a suggestion, the fortes startling."
Erica Jeal writes for The Guardian:  "Hymel led a cast of principals that could hardly have been bettered. His tenor, huge and yet malleable, sailed across even the lushest orchestral moments, its timbre penetrating and silvery. Baritone Christopher Purves was a late stand-in as Méphistophélès, but an ideal one – his devil was all charm, honeyed tones and veiled thuggishness, and every glance and gesture told. Karen Cargill’s beautifully centred, silky-sounding singing brought out all Marguerite’s vulnerability and her stillness at the centre of this story. Brander, who gallops through a nasty song about a rat in the Tavern Scene, is an ungrateful role but Gábor Bretz sang it nimbly."

Tech Specs
Available as CD, SACD and download.
Download: https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/lso0809d-berlioz-la-damnation-de-faust/
Original Recording Format: DSD 64
LSO Live  (LSO0809)
Mastering Engineer, Jonathan Stokes for Classic Sound Ltd. and Balance Engineer, Neil Hutchinson.
Venue: Live at the Barbican, London
Recording Date: 17 & 19 September, 2017
Release Date:  March 8, 2019

Faust, select SEE ALL RELEASES, look for the LSO & Rattle version, 24/96 in stereo

I can't say enough good things about this recording.  Sonics are excellent (even considering it was at the Barbican).  The hall was packed and the additional chorus members filling the isles must have been a challenge for the recording team.  A reviewer who attended the live performance said there were microphones literally everywhere.  If you have a chance to watch any of the vocal videos you'll see that the conductor is center stage.  Purves (Baritone), Méphistophélès, the Devil's agent, stands to the right.  Hymel (Tenor), Faust, stands to the left.  Cargill (Mezzo), Marguerite, stands to the left of Faust.  As you play the program you will clearly hear the vocals correctly positioned.

Note:  The liner notes state that Berlioz did not want this piece to be a staged opera. Instead, he wanted the music to stir the audience’s imagination. It certainly does and I was very emotionally connected.

Yes.  The concert is in French.  The liner notes contain the English translation.

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2021, 05:07 pm by Desertpilot »

sumoking

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jul 2021, 06:20 pm »
Thank you for your feedback.  I initially tried to do a separate circle but since I am 99% classical, I felt this circle was a better home.  I'm glad you found me here to follow up on your suggestion.  Your X3 video and Clayton interview was a vital part of my buying decision.

Marcus

Glad to hear you found value in my video's. Working in a hospital during these times hasn't helped me free up the time to do as much as I hoped these past 18 months, and then birth of my second daughter has been my main priority these days. This is not my business. I don't create videos on the new speaker or amps of the month.   Only those rare creations that inspire me to want to invest the time to share my almost 50 year perspective to achieve the ultimate sound quest for a reasonable buck. When my brother and I got our first pioneer receiver and small advent loundspeakers we researched that decision for weeks as we were saving money from our paper route at 11 years old to pay for it.

Getting back to the thread, since I am unfamiliar to your list of recordings, can you recommend the first one I can stream on Qobuz? If you give me the name of it, I'll search your reviews and dive in. 
Cheers,
Sumo

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: 31 Jul 2021, 06:42 pm »
...Working in a hospital during these times hasn't helped me free up the time to do as much as I hoped these past 18 months,

You have my many thanks for helping aid the sick!

...and then birth of my second daughter has been my main priority these days.

As it should be.  Heck, I'm retired and have little time.

Getting back to the thread, since I am unfamiliar to your list of recordings, can you recommend the first one I can stream on Qobuz? If you give me the name of it, I'll search your reviews and dive in. 
Cheers,
Sumo

Sure thing.  I may add this note in my reviews.

Faust, select SEE ALL RELEASES, look for the LSO & Rattle version, 24/96 in stereo
Van Baerle Trio, select SEE ALL RELEASES.  All 5 volumes are there.  24/44.1 stereo
Yevgeny Sudbin, select SEE ALL RELEASES.  The Rachmaninoff: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 is there in 24/96 stereo
Berlioz: 'Grande Messe des morts', Requiem, The Gardner version comes up in 24/96 stereo
Arabella Steinbacher, select SEE ALL RELEASES, Fantasies, Rhapsodies & Daydreams comes up in 24/96 stereo
Manfred Honeck, select SEE ALL RELEASES, look for Bruckner Symphony #9, 24/192 stereo

There you go.  All my recommendations are on Qobuz.

Marcus

Hogg

« Reply #34 on: 1 Aug 2021, 02:03 am »
Consider "Cantate Domino"  Recorded by Proprius.  Wonderful choral music recorded in a church.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=PRCD7762

Jim

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #35 on: 1 Aug 2021, 02:48 pm »
As everyone can see from my recommendations, I prefer high resolution digital files.  I thought it would be helpful to post information that may help you understand why this works for me and possibly you.

This first article is an interview with Tom Caulfield, NativeDSD's mastering engineer.  Why this article?  Most important is Tom's explanation of how Native DSD can offer so many file types (PCM, DSD and DXD) and sample rates (DSD 64-512, DXD 24/352.8, PCM 24/up to 192).  I've had several email interactions with the Native DSD folks about this topic.  They now post information about their process when a customer selects a bit and sample rate.  They also publish the original recording format for every title.  Lastly, DXD is becoming a popular recording/mixing/mastering format.  Tom discusses this and offers that your DAC may prefer DXD files over DSD files.  In a subtle way, I do think this is the case for me.

Article:  https://positive-feedback.com/interviews/mastering-engineer-tom-caulfield/.

First is a short video from Brendon Heinst, co-owner of TRPTK.  I own several of their recordings and can attest to the high sonic quality, especially piano music.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCYGlm358Q.

Here's a video explaining high resolution formats (very simplified):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcHdnBRYa3Y.

Follow up video, why high resolution music matters:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuOnPIpCQ7g.

I hope you find this information helpful.  My own purchase decision is to generally buy the same format as the original recording format.

Thanks

Marcus

dbeau

« Reply #36 on: 1 Aug 2021, 03:05 pm »
Thank you Marcus
This is a treasure to explore.

Archguy

« Reply #37 on: 2 Aug 2021, 12:20 am »

I hope you find this information helpful.   

Very helpful, thanks.  It dovetails neatly with a thread I started recently on another site.  I look forward to exploring all of your suggestions.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #38 on: 2 Aug 2021, 01:09 am »
Consider "Cantate Domino"  Recorded by Proprius.  Wonderful choral music recorded in a church.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=PRCD7762

Jim
From Propius I rec this organ SACD recorded at 15ips tape 1974 full time 77 min.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203164389421

abomwell

« Reply #39 on: 2 Aug 2021, 12:27 pm »
I don't know how to insert a photo of the cover art, but I'm absolutely in love with sound of the recordings made by The Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century on the Glossa label. Through Roon and Qobuz I discovered the set of these Beethoven symphonies, live from Rotterdam, 2011. These are done on original or remakes of period instruments. Violins have a drop dead gorgeous feathery sound due to using all gut strings and convex vs. concave bows. Horns are valveless
Flutes are made of wood vs. metal. I really can't tell but the tuning might be more like A=438 vs. A=440. The timbre of the period instruments influences the orchestral balance and thus the interpretation. Recordings are from a mid-hall perspective and not bright or strident. These are oh so beautiful and must hear recordings.

Al