Do you listen to your Omegas with or without grills?

PipHelix

Just curious about what people do.

I generally keep the grills on my Junior Alnico XRS because my 1 yr old likes to try to touch the cone and I’d rather not have to replace parts on account of his curiosity. I sometimes take the grills off after he goes to sleep. I’m not sure if I hear a difference or if I’m telling myself I hear a difference because something is different. Sighted tests are biased.

So what do you all generally do: grills on or off? Do you notice much of a difference?

Holygeezer

Re: Do you listen to your Omegas with or without grills?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2021, 12:06 am »
Using my Super 3XRS speakers, I leave my grills on. I don't notice any difference sound wise and I like the way the grills look. My pair have the round grills on them. Also I like the way the grills keep dust from settling on the drivers as well.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2021, 01:58 am »
I listen with the grills off. The grills literally put a veil in front of the drivers. This doesn't mean they have a noticeable effect on sound, especially on-axis. I'd just rather not have anything between my ears and the drivers except air. That's just me. Note, I don't have any small kids nor animals in my listening room. The speakers in the living room system...that's a different story. Grills on for protective measures.

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:13 am »
Always off.  Better all around for the Super 3U both sonically and aesthetically.

PipHelix

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:46 am »
Hmmmm......some diverging opinions.

To be honest, I don’t have much of a choice right now with using the grills. The speakers might as well be invisible to my son as long as the grills are on. Otherwise, it’s a touch-fest. I’ve also had to put the spikes on rubber washer machine dampening pads so he doesn’t push the speakers over. On a wood floor, the spikes and discs just lead to him sliding the speaker around and my wife and I being worried he’ll push them over and hurt himself or the speakers.

Perhaps the joy of listening takes a backseat to the joy of watching a child explore his environment for now.....

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:58 am »
Yeah...things like speakers and unsupported furniture are always a fall-over hazzard for toddlers. Think safety first. :D

DRHamp

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2021, 01:41 pm »
I have never put the grills on my CAMs -- I think the round grills detract from the cool look of the CAMs - granted, I don't have curious touchers around.  They look better, so they sound better ( I know, silly  8) )

NoDisco

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:20 pm »
I never thought about grilling my speakers.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2021, 04:40 pm »
Grills?  We don't need no stinkin' grills!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8hE7_8BCY
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2021, 06:27 pm by pstrisik »

syzygy

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2021, 07:39 pm »
The grilles for my 3T Desktop speakers are in the box, where they belong.

Doodlebum

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2021, 10:58 pm »
Grills? Never!