TAS Computer Music Audio Quality Series

nature boy

TAS Computer Music Audio Quality Series
« on: 17 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm »
I have been reading with interest a series in The Absolute Sound authored by Charles Zeilig, Ph.D. and Jay Clawson.  Part 4 in the series is in March 2012 Issue 221. 

As a newbie computer audiophile looking to build a system in a couple of years I have found it very informative particularly in evaluation of current software programs.  Anyone else been reading the series?  I would be interested in your observations and thoughts.

NB

rbbert

Re: TAS Computer Music Audio Quality Series
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:21 pm »
There are multiple threads around the Internet, and at least one previous one here.  Unfortunately, the methodology has some serious problems (which now even the authors are beginning to partially admit), which makes all their conclusions unreliable.  Some of what they say is probably reasonably correct, but since they use the same (faulty) methodology throughout, it's impossible to draw any conclusions from these articles (except that it's easy to screw things up).

FWIW, the articles were first submitted to Stereophile.  John Atkinson had some serious reservations, and so the authors withdrew their submission and gave it to The Absolute Sound instead.

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2012, 08:27 pm »
I have been reading with interest a series in The Absolute Sound authored by Charles Zeilig, Ph.D. and Jay Clawson.  Part 4 in the series is in March 2012 Issue 221. 

As a newbie computer audiophile looking to build a system in a couple of years I have found it very informative particularly in evaluation of current software programs.  Anyone else been reading the series?  I would be interested in your observations and thoughts.

NB

"In a couple of years"? - by then this will all be obsolete and replaced by the latest and greatest!

Whatever testing issues and controversies aside, I agree with the overall results: Ripping and playback software do not all sound the same and audiophile-focused software perform better.

rbbert

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2012, 10:13 pm »
"In a couple of years"? - by then this will all be obsolete and replaced by the latest and greatest!

Whatever testing issues and controversies aside, I agree with the overall results: Ripping and playback software do not all sound the same and audiophile-focused software perform better.

I can't agree that those are the overall results of the studies, by any means, but I definitely agree with you otherwise; the specific recommendations are at best transient, and hardware and software both matter.