What windows based external hard drive sounds good?

Tubeburner

What windows based external hard drive sounds good?
« on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:17 pm »
I am using my Window's 7 laptop for a music server into a usb dac. I would like the music stored on an external hard drive and also backed up on a seperate drive. Is there a difference in how the external drives sound? I would like firewire drives and keep the cost down, but will spend the money for the best sound. I am currently using JRiver 17. I may go to a dedicated computer in the near future.

Thank you for the replies!

Berto

Re: What windows based external hard drive sounds good?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2012, 04:22 am »
I use a g tech 2tb not cheap at 220 online but quieter and flexible with e Sata USB and FireWire and great customer support, and solid build quality.

I'm lookin to put together what you have just to try jplay, might be another good option for you.

skunark

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2012, 08:09 am »
HDD just contain the data not the audio.  It's not audio until it hits the sound card, with that said, there's mechanical and electrical noise you can consider.  i.e. wall-wart vs bus-powered, to me less is more, so I prefer the bus-powered but for capacity reasons if you select a larger HDD, the wall-wart might need attention.    For mechanical noise, the slower the rotational speed the less mechanical noise it can create, if it's just audio you aren't after speed here, so select a green drive or a 5400 rpm drive.     I like the g-techs, but they are typically built for speed, but since most don't have a fan or have a very silent fan, it's a solid choice still, but you might hear it now and then.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2012, 10:36 pm »
After doing a little research, I found that Seagate - right now - is one of the most reliable HD's around. I bought a Seagate Expansion 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive as a back-up so I don't use it regularly. (My Windows 7 laptop holds my music.)

It's quieter than a mouse.