Cornet phono ... can't source 2.4 ohm resistor

Laudanum

« on: 9 Dec 2003, 06:03 am »
Mouser is out of stock on the 2.4 ohm 5W power resistors (R21)
I don't have the board yet but I'm assuming the 10 watt is too long.
Can't find them at the usual suspects ... AES, PE, Mad, Welborne ...
Can't even find a 5 watt metal oxide of 2.4 ohm value (assuming it should be an  ok sub)
What can I sub if anything? or where can I source a 2.4 ohm 5Watt ?

any help/advice please.

Thank you

evolved

« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2003, 07:18 am »
10w will fit but some creative lead bending will be required.  Also, percyaudio.com sells some compact 5w non-inductive resistors that will work quite nicely.

Laudanum

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2003, 09:12 pm »
Thanks ...

Didn't see any 2.4 ohm at M Percy either.  Found numerous 2.5 ohm which would probably be fine. Anyway ... found 2.4 ohm "cement" at Digikey ... not my favorite being a Yageo but it should be fine in that application.  The only negative is I had to switch parts orders to add some to Digikey because they have a $25 minimum or they charge you an extra $5 for handling.  Plus then you end up paying for shipping from yet another supplier .... oh well.

So heads up .... anyone starting on this project looking for the 2.4 ohm 5 watt ... Digikey has em ... 2.4W-5-ND

Thanks for the input.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2003, 12:21 am »
Wish I'd seen this earlier. I ordered 5 of them when I built my kit and would have been happy to send you one.  :(

Mike G.

Laudanum

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2003, 01:32 am »
Thanks for the offer Mike, I really appreciate the gesture!

It's OK though ... I just moved a chassis over to the Digikey order and then added a couple other items that I was low on that only Digikey has  and hit the $25 minimum.  So, really just ended up having to pay an extra shipping charge which was ok ... less than $7.00

It's happens, no biggie.  But again, I really appreciate the gesture.  Very kind of you to have offered.

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2003, 05:15 am »
A 2.5 ohm will work fine, 2.2 ohm ok.  Only change is heater voltage goes a bit high or low.

You can also do several 2W or 3W resistors in series.  Maybe there is a 1.2 ohm out there.  Haven't checked Mouser stock in a while, but they do have some alternates.  I don't think the sonics will be much compromised by changing this part.

I do have a few 2.4 ohmers left, if anyone needs.

jh :)