RMAF 2011: New Music

SoCalWJS

RMAF 2011: New Music
« on: 23 Oct 2011, 01:09 am »
One of the reasons I go to shows is to find new music (to me) that I like, and/or something that is well recorded.

I got home and ordered no fewer than 5 new CD's (UTL Hi-rez), plus the 4 I bought at the show.

What did anybody hear that impressed them?

A couple of the CD's I ordered already arrived. Amazing how they sounded better at the show than at my place (but I'm working on it...... :green:).

Edit:

I purchased a few of the "K2" Mastered CD's at the show: Hell Freezes Over; Remember Cat Stevens, and Piano Man (Best of Billy Joel). I also picked up the CD "Jazz Side of the Moon" as it was the last copy. Still haven't listened to it.
Ordered Matt the Electrician Animal Boy, Pete Belasco Deeper (Just to see if I could get that note - the answer is yes in stereo 2.0, but only so-so, the answer is YES in 2.1 :green:), and Chris Jones Roadhouses and Automobiles - I originally heard the cut on an import CD from The High End Society called Lifestories, but I decided to get the CD to see how I liked his other songs - hope it's well recorded.

Also ordered Joshua Judges Ruth (I thought I had copy, but couldn't find it when I got home  :oops: )
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2011, 02:13 pm by SoCalWJS »

Charles Xavier

Re: RMAF 2011: New Music
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2011, 06:22 am »
One of the reasons I go to shows is to find new music (to me) that I like, and/or something that is well recorded.

I got home and ordered no fewer than 5 new CD's (UTL Hi-rez), plus the 4 I bought at the show.

What did anybody hear that impressed them?

A couple of the CD's I ordered already arrived. Amazing how they sounded better at the show than at my place (but I'm working on it...... :green:).

Names would be nice :scratch:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm »
I ordered Jennifer Warnes "The Well" a few days ago after hearing a couple of cuts off it.  I also recommend the vinyl of Copland's Fanfare  by Dallas Sym. led by Johannos.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2011, 01:37 pm »
Nojima plays Liszt on Reference Recordings HRx disc.   Loaded the files on the Music Server and it sounds very good!

The Copland Fanfare on Acoustic Sounds looks interesting as well.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2011, 03:50 pm »
I heard Janis Ian's Breaking Silence and Michael Hedges' Watching My Life Go By on vinyl in the Soundsmith room and I am currently trying to track down M or NM copies on the Net. I picked up the 45 RPM 20th Anniversary edition of Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat, a sealed copy of Deep Purple's Book of Taliesyn, and Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians' Element of Light.

I immediately bought the new DSOTM remastered CD (original album remastered plus, and this is more than worth the price of the CD, a 1974 live version of the entire album from Wembley Stadium, after hearing it after hours in Lou Hinkley's (Daedalus) room.

Laura

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2011, 06:50 pm »
I heard Janis Ian's Breaking Silence and Michael Hedges' Watching My Life Go By on vinyl in the Soundsmith room and I am currently trying to track down M or NM copies on the Net.

Excellent albums Laura.... :thumb:

Title track on Janis Ian's album is an excellent demo track which I've used...Listen...  :D

As for new music at RMAF....didn't really hear anything new... :? :scratch:

As for demo tracks I used at the show...had the "lucky seven".... :lol:

Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa - "Your Heart is as Black as Night"

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - "Sing Sang Sung"

Morphine - "Buena"

Jen Chapin - "You Haven't Done Nothin' "

Bernadette Peters - "Blackbird"

Andreas Kapsalis & Goran Ivanovic - "Shadow Thief"

ZZ Top - "La Grange" ... :rock:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2011, 07:23 pm »
"They got some nice lookin girls down there" . .

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2011, 07:24 pm »

Title track on Janis Ian's album is an excellent demo track which I've used...Listen...  :D

Chris, that is the track Peter played and it hooked me. :)

DEV

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2011, 10:47 pm »

As for new music at RMAF....didn't really hear anything new... :? :scratch:

As for demo tracks I used at the show...had the "lucky seven".... :lol:

Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa - "Your Heart is as Black as Night"

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - "Sing Sang Sung"

Morphine - "Buena"

Jen Chapin - "You Haven't Done Nothin' "

Bernadette Peters - "Blackbird"

Andreas Kapsalis & Goran Ivanovic - "Shadow Thief"

ZZ Top - "La Grange" ... :rock:

Some great new pces you just introduced me to  :thumb:

Anymore  :banana piano: :violin: :drums: :guitar: :rock:

Keoma

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2011, 06:12 pm »
I liked the self-titled debut by James Blake that the Peachtree Audio folks were playing on the gorgeous Sonus Faber Elipsa SE's, plus some Allan Taylor tunes in the Nordost room.

Other than that, I bought Dire Strait's "Brothers In Arms" SACD, and two Reference Recordngs HRx DVD-R's, and they play beautifully on my Oppo 95. Everything else was simply too expensive, in my opinion. $60 for SH-CD's? Ouch.