iFi Micro Black as a preamp?

pav13

iFi Micro Black as a preamp?
« on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:51 am »
I am upgrading my gear from an entry level HT NAD receiver.  I have just purchased a Parasound A21 amp, and have realized that I need a preamp to do it justice.

While I search (and save) for a preamp, am I better off

1) using the NAD receiver as a preamp
2) Use my headphone dac/amp as a preamp - I have the ifi Micro Black (https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-idsd-bl/)
3) None of the above - and should scrambling to find another preamp to use in the interm?

Thanks!

JohnR

Re: iFi Micro Black as a preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2019, 04:31 am »
If you have the iFi then it seems to me you should at least try it, but you may want to ask here - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=161.0 ?

Cacophonix

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2019, 11:37 pm »
Try it and you may be perfectly happy with it.
I’ve the micro BL and used it to drive my active speakers without any issues. It sounds very good.
I replaced it with full  sized preamp just because I’ve multiple sources and want a remote.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2019, 11:50 am »
Was on the iTube2 ($300 small form tube preamp) tour, wrote up a review and posted to the iFi circle as instructed but now can't find it (?).  Anyway in my over matched rather purist system an audiophile friend and I didn't like it:

1.) SET/push-pull option was it's most valuable feature, but not interested in coloring the sound and don't need a buffer;

2.) 3D feature just smeared the soundstage (note I listen midfield to professional monitors);

3.) Bass boost was way overkill in my setup and I'd deem in most any half-way serious setups.

Might be of some use if you have a low-fi system that you can't afford to dump and start over or have a preamp/power amp impedance mismatch. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2019, 07:44 pm »
In my system, the Itube 2 was great, no complaints here. It is nice to have a money back offer to try it in your system. Components can be system dependent. Music Direct offers 60 day money back return.

It even worked great with my $25, 000 Zellaton speakers.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2019, 10:17 pm »
Save your money and pair it with a used (and excellent sounding stereophile class A preamp) Parasound JC2 preamp for synergy or pair it with a good tube  preamp.  I own an A21.  If on a budget, look at the AVA Transcendence 10RB tube preamp.   Frank Van Alstine can adjust the output impedance to match the input impedance of the A21.