Mag

Re: The Concert DVD/BR thread
« Reply #140 on: 18 Dec 2018, 09:35 pm »
Cream- Royal Albert Hall, 2005 Blu ray
Audio: excellent- Lpcm, dts HD master audio 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1
Video: excellent
Performance: excellent
Genre: Blues Rock
Comments: This historic concert video happened May 2,3,5,6 2005. The video pieces together songs from one of the four concerts into a set list.
The 3 geezers could still play, in top form.
One has to remember this is the band that must be credited with pioneering the concert format for blues rock, hard rock, heavy metal, back in '67, for many bands that followed in their footsteps.
IMO the reason this band broke up is they received heavy criticism at the time because their music, style, broke the mold. They were scoffed at by the media. There may have been internal personal conflicts within the band. But this shaming from the media probably was their undoing.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #141 on: 17 Jan 2019, 06:58 pm »

Dire Straits - aLCHEMY - Live
         Audio - good to very good, maybe excellent in spots, remastered, PCM & DTS HD 5.1 Master
         Video - good to very good, remastered, 16:9
         Performance - very good to excellent
         Genre - rock
         Notes: a very interesting disc in many respects. Included with one of the two days the concert was performed, the day shown selected by Mark Knopfler, are two live cuts from a local British show of the day, Tunnel of Love ('80), and Sultans of Swing ('78) from the Old Grey Whistle Test. Also a BBC documentary done in 1980 on the band with interviews & live show clips that shows the impact their success had on the band between the '78 release of their first album and their 3rd, Making Movies (58 min). If you are a fan of their music it's a worthwhile addition to the library imo. There is also a 320 bit MP3 download available with the Blu-ray, which still works as I'm listening to it now.

Mag

« Reply #142 on: 26 Jan 2019, 02:58 pm »
John Fogerty- The Long Road Home, in Concert 2005, dvd 2006
Audio: Dolby Stereo, Dolby 5.1, DTS
Genre: Roots Rock
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Comment: Dolby stereo sounded the best, dts track lacked transparency. Toe tapping music through whole concert.

Mag

« Reply #143 on: 6 Feb 2019, 06:49 pm »
Blue Man Group- Audio, dvd 1999
Audio: Excellent- Dolby 5.1 DTS 5.1
Video: Okay, not a concert, just still shot videos
Performance: Excellent
Genre: Instrumental pop ( sounds like Krautrock to me)
Rating: 4 out of 5

Comments: Very heavy on the drums and percussion, and real joy if you're into that kinda thing. A few songs border on boring, slow tempo, which is why I gave it 4 out of 5. A couple of songs IMO are a drum/percussion paradise, faster tempo, like Klein Mandelbrot. Caution when raising volume control is advised.

Not a concert video! Just 15 audio tracks with picture attached.

Mag

« Reply #144 on: 7 Feb 2019, 02:40 pm »
April Wine- Live in London 1981, dvd release 2008
Audio: okay, Dolby stereo
Video: okay, 4:3
Performance: Very Good
Genre: Hard Rock
Rating: 3 out of 5
Comments: I've heard April Wine songs on the radio over the years and only have OOwatanite in my collection.
The band played well in this 'Nature of the Beast tour' concert and had a good hard rock sound that didn't sound commercial to me. The sound quality is lacking in transparency and articulation but didn't sound compressed. Video was okay with frequent interview interruptions during show.

Kitaro- daylight, moonlight, Live in Yakushiji 2001, dvd 2002
Audio: excellent, dts 5.1, Dolby 5.1, Dolby stereo
Genre: electronic/new age
Rating: 5 out of 5
Comments: Listened in dts, audio was excellent. Recorded in HD audio and digitally re-mastered. Kitaro is a talented musicians who can play several instruments. I suppose for westerners it takes a few listens to appreciate his style. I began listening to Kitaro sometime in the late '90.

Mag

« Reply #145 on: 13 Feb 2019, 12:47 pm »
Joe Satriani- Satchurated, Live in Montreal, Blu ray 2012
Audio: excellent, pcm stereo 48k/24 bit, Dolby TrueHD 7.1
Genre: instrumental hard rock, blues rock

Comments: Well done production, small intimate venue with good acoustics. Camera angles constantly changing angles but not a hack job like some other concert videos.

Mag

« Reply #146 on: 13 Feb 2019, 01:06 pm »
Gary Moore: Live at Montreux 2010, blu ray release 2011
Audio: excellent, Lpcm stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, dts HD master audio
performance: excellent
Genre: hard rock, blues rock
Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5

Comments: This blu ray is a historic record of a great guitar player and here he shows he can play hard rock, with a mixture of blues rock. Camera angles change constantly but not a hack job. Show is hard rocking but loses tempo with some blues rock songs.

Mag

« Reply #147 on: 13 Feb 2019, 01:28 pm »
Motorhead: Clean Your Clock, blu ray & cd 2016
Audio: excellent, pcm stereo, dts HD master stereo/5.1, dolby stereo/5.1
Genre: hard rock
Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5

Comments: Motorhead recordings are usually crap, not this one, which is now Motorhead's reference recording. Still can't make out the song lyrics though, and don't like the short song format.

« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2020, 01:57 pm by Mag »

Mag

« Reply #148 on: 14 Feb 2019, 02:54 pm »
Judas Priest: Epitaph 2012, Blu ray 2013
Audio: excellent, pcm stereo uncompressed 48kHz/24 bit, dts HD 5.1
Performance; excellent
Genre: heavy metal

Comments: Richie Faulkner makes his debut replacing KK Downing. Glenn Tipton scrambled to find a replacement for KK Downing, knowing his abilities on the guitar. KK Downing vs Glenn Tipton who is better? Tipton obviously knew he had big shoes to fill.

The concert Rocks from beginning to end, with you are there sound. Have several JP albums none match the sound quality of this blu ray concert. Battle Cry concert lacks energy compared to Epitaph.

Mag

« Reply #149 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:40 pm »
Aerosmith: You Gotta Move, dvd 2004
Audio: very good, pcm stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1
Video: good 4:3

Comments: Frequent band interviews during concert footage is very annoying. Bonus Feature song 'Rats in the Cellar' is one smoking guitar solo. Set list has good songs from start to finish. Band plays at slower tempo than they did in the '70's but it works.

Mag

« Reply #150 on: 15 Feb 2019, 12:04 am »
Dream Theater: Live in BudoKan 2004, blu ray release 2011
Audio: excellent, Lpcm stereo, dts HD master audio 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1
Genre: progressive metal, power rock

Comments: 2 hours and 47 minutes of power rock, you'll need a break after this ones over.
Bass player uses a 6 string bass to give you and idea on what to expect. I don't quite understand this style of rock or the song structure but was able to listen to it.

stlrman

« Reply #151 on: 15 Feb 2019, 02:37 am »
How many do you own? My lord !!

Mag

« Reply #152 on: 15 Feb 2019, 07:56 am »
How many do you own? My lord !!

I counted 160 dvd, blu ray, I'm sure I missed a few. Plan on getting a few more concert blu rays before they become scarce like sacd did.

WC

« Reply #153 on: 9 Mar 2019, 02:26 am »

Watching this one now. It is an intimate club setting. Picture and sound on the Blu-ray are very good. Just Norah on Piano and Vocals accompanied by drums and Bass.

Mag

« Reply #154 on: 27 Mar 2019, 07:19 am »
Metallica- Quebec Magnetic, blu ray 2009
Audio: Outstanding, uncompressed pcm 2.0, dts-Hd Master Audio 2.0/5.1
Genre: Heavy Metal

Comments: Listened in uncompressed pcm, audio has exceptional transparency, cranked the volume fairly loud, clear as a bell. Metallica put on one hell of a  show playing for 2 hours and 15 minutes to a packed audience.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #155 on: 27 Mar 2019, 12:27 pm »
Mag, you missed one.

Steven Wilson   Home Invasion
In concert at the Royal Albert Hall

Outstanding audio / video on Blu-ray

Mag

« Reply #156 on: 18 Apr 2019, 06:45 pm »
Europe- Live at Sweden Rock, blu ray 2013
Audio: outstanding, Lpcm, digital dolby 5.1

Comments: One of the best recordings I have heard in Lpcm. First time I've listened to Europe other than the song Final Countdown and I like their style of rock. Rocker songs that piqued my interest Riches to Rags, Scream of Anger, No Stone Unturned, In the Future to Come, Final Countdown.

Mag

« Reply #157 on: 7 Nov 2019, 08:37 am »
Black Sabbath- The End, Birmingham, Blu ray +cd
Audio: Excellent, Lpcm, dts-HD Master Audio
Video: Excellent, IMO however did not like the short edits of jumping from one shot to the next. Like you would like to watch Geezer Butler play the bass, but camera will change angles instead of focusing on his playing.
Performance: Very Good
Genre: Hard Rock

Comments: Audio is very good. The bass is very heavy when cranked and Tony Iommi's guitar seems less in the forefront than I would have liked. When compared to Gathered in Their Masses IMO that concert is a better performance and better recording.

Mag

« Reply #158 on: 7 Nov 2019, 08:53 am »
Bon Jovi- Live at Madison Square Garden, Blu ray 2009
Audio: Excellent, Dolby True HD 5.1/2.0
Video: Excellent
Performance: Excellent
Genre: hard rock, pop rock

Comments: Not really a Bon Jovi fan but like their song Blaze of Glory and now Keep the Faith. I cranked the song Keep the Faith and the sound is just incredible, very live like.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #159 on: 3 Apr 2020, 06:07 pm »

Oscar Peterson Trio:  The Berlin Concert
              Audio: Excellent, PCM, Dolby 5.1, DTS
              Video: Excellent, supposed to be 16:9, but could only manage 4:3 on my copy. Mislabled ? Mis-mfg'd ?
              Performance: Excellent, live show from 1985
              Genre: Jazz

Notes: Not only does this concert showcase Oscar's skill, but also shows what a consummate bassist Niels-Henning Oersted Pedersen was. If your a fan of Oscar's music I don't think you'll be disappointed. Maybe it was just the song selection for this show, but I don't recall realizing how much honkey-tonk/boogie woogie Oscar put in his presentations.