SOLD : California Audio Labs Alpha DAC - original version w/ Amperex tubes

RDavidson

For grabs is my CAL Alpha DAC. This is the highly regarded original 18 bit version not the 24/96. It is in excellent working condition and good cosmetic condition as well. I'd rate it a solid 7/10. The front is clean, but you'll find minor signs of wear here and there. Notably, the top has scratch marks that don't go thru the finish. I tried capturing them in the pics. The camera flash makes any/all smudges, scratches, marks look FAR worse than under normal lighting conditions. If I were to guess, the marks on top are from roller points from something stacked on top. Looking at the pics, there appears to be a couple of smudge marks on the front that I never noticed before. Again, note the effect of the camera flash. One last thing : I am not the original owner and the original owner lost the screws that hold the top cover on. Not a huge deal especially if you plan to roll tubes now and then. I'm sure replacement screws can be found at a hardware store. I don't know exactly how much the included Amperex 12ax7 tubes were used, but the original owner told me they were used very little. He owned several systems.

Something really worth mentioning is that CAL gear can still be serviced here : http://www.approvedaudioservice.com/cal.html
I contacted them and they can even still perform the 24/96 "upgrade" if you wish to do so. My guess is if you're looking at this, you want it for it's original configuration / sound. :thumb:

If you listen to CD's or rip CD's to a computer (like me and many others), this DAC will serve you well. These don't show up for sale often, and I know my price is pretty spot-on. MSRP was $1495

Selling for a couple of reasons: 1. I have accumulated a little too much gear and am thinning he heard. 2. With some of the shuffling and thinning he heard, I've decided I want to set up a nice starter system for my son. He has my NAD 3020B, a good set of headphones, but no speakers. My spare speakers are either too big for his room or too nice. If you have a set of something along the lines of maybe PSB Alpha B1's, that'd be perfect. Not much else to be said. More info and great reviews can be found on the web.

Feel free to ask questions. I know I don't have a lot of history here, but I have been an upstanding Audiogon member for several years. You can check my 100% feedback there under name Ryanpdavidson.

It will ship well packed in it's original double box along with the stock power cord, from zip 57006.
For sale to US buyers in lower 48 states and Canada. Canadian buyers are responsible for all taxes / duties / fees.

Asking $375

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2013, 04:02 am by RDavidson »

starkiller

Dang!!  I would love this but all i have to pay for it would be some Marantz MA500 monobloc's..funds are tight due to Xmas, want to make sure I have enough $ for my wife's gifts..she deserves it!  Anyway, let me know.

hoosier21

interested

pm sent

Goosepond

• Virna!

mink70

WireNut

I use to have their matching transport. Sorry I sold it.   :slap:

WireNut

I'd love to own it. Money tight right now.  :(

WireNut

Hmm,

Interested in trading for a mint Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3 24/192 upsampling Dac with a Welbourne Labs power supply?

Steve

RDavidson

Now on Ebay. I know. I know. Let me explain........I had an opportunity to list for free and with no final valuation fee. Couldn't pass it up.

RDavidson

Unexpected bump. Quite a few auction watchers but not a single bid, not even a last second bid. I lowered the price and relisted on Ebay. I'm still open to offers folks. If I'm in the mood, I may even let it go super cheap to a fellow ACer. Open to possible trades too, though my original goal was to thin the heard a bit. Let me know what you have, but note I'd probably be most interested in small speakers. I've recently decided to set up a starter system for my son that revolves around my NAD 3020B. A set of PSB stand mounters or something along those lines would be great. Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

starkiller

Where are you located??

RDavidson

South Dakota 57006

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
I sent you a PM with an offer. Thanks

RDavidson

Sale pending. $340