bryston sp1 with rega apollo

effula

bryston sp1 with rega apollo
« on: 8 Oct 2008, 12:11 am »
Waiting for my new apollo to arrive... am I correct in assuming that I should use the apollo's DAC over the sp1's?

denjo

Re: bryston sp1 with rega apollo
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2008, 01:59 am »
effula

Welcome to AudioCircle!

Its best to try both and let your ears decide which is better! All I can say is my Bryston internal DAC is a class act! I have lived with the DAC for the past 3 months plus and find myself totally immersed in and with the musical enjoyment!

Best Regards
Dennis

« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2008, 03:56 am by denjo »

effula

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2008, 11:59 am »
Thanks denjo!

Anyone have experience listening to both? What are your thoughts? I believe a lot of members have the apollo cdp in their systems. Just curious.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2008, 02:23 pm »
I have an Apollo.  Its a great CDP IMO.  By far the best CDP for the money and a fair amount higher.  I've heard Bryston's internal DAC, but don't have one in my B60.  It really all depends on what you like.  If you have both in your home, try it both ways.  Bryston's DAC section may be better on paper, but don't be surprised if the Apollo's DAC wins out.  In either Hifi Choice (most likely) or What Hifi, they stated that the digital out on the Apollo may give some DACs some problems.  I can't remember what the cause of it was or if it can be corrected by a DAC like Bryston's.  It was a while ago.  I remember them saying the problem wasn't appearent with the analog outs, but was at the digital out.  I think it was a Hifi choice shootout between the Apollo, Naim CD5i, Creek Evo, and a Shanling tube CDP, it that helps in a search of it.

Regardless of what reviewers or people on a message board say, try it both ways at home.  None of us have your ears.

Viajero5000

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2008, 06:04 pm »
Anyone compared an Apollo to a BCD-1?

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2008, 11:53 pm »
Anyone compared an Apollo to a BCD-1?

Yes - I compared them when I bought my BCD-1 last summer at length.  Listened on a system with similarities to mine (Bryston and Thiel 3.7s).  I've also owned the Planet many moons ago as well.  Did not care for the Apollo vs. the BCD-1.  Very laid back, more recessed and more veiled.  Now on a bad recording it made things sound less bad than on a BCD-1.  So as usual it is a function of your system, room, electronics, preferences, music tastes, etc.  Not that I thought that the Apollo was a bad product.  I just did not think it competed well in the system I listened to.  I also compared other things too.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:20 am »
I agree with Viajero.  The Apollo is a great CD player.  It does a ton of things right.  Mainly, it gets at the heart of the music.   Its a great value for money CDP.  But its no BCD-1.  Everything the Apollo does, the BCD-1 does better.  Some people would prefer an Apollo, but they're a very small minority.  I own an Apollo and would take a BCD-1 over it any day of the week.  Keep in mind the BCD-1 also costs almost 3 times as much as the Apollo.  I don't regret buying my Apollo for a second.  But again, its no BCD-1.

nickelbut10

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2008, 02:56 am »
I second that. I love my Apollo, still the best cdp I have heard for under 2 grand new. But Stu is right, its no Bryston cd player. How much better is the Bryston? I am not sure, as I have never done a A/B test of the two.