Stand mounts/mini monitors?

AnthonyH

Stand mounts/mini monitors?
« on: 25 Sep 2008, 12:04 pm »
Hi all

I’m looking for some stand mount speakers to go with my system:

Cyrus CD8X -> Bryston BP-25 -> 4B-ST -> PMC TB1 or PMC OB1

Of the two speakers choices the TB1’s are still my favourites believe it or not! I can only describe them as more musical (greater sense of being there) than the OB1’s.  :scratch:

Perhaps it is something to do with my room being a bit on the small size for the OB1’s. Maybe my old ears prefer the bite of the metal dome tweeter in the TB1’s.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, I forgot to mention cables: interconnects are Cable Talk and speaker cables are Kimber 8PR

Thanks

:)

denjo

Re: Stand mounts/mini monitors?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2008, 02:14 pm »
AnthonyH
Have you tried the Harbeths? I am pairing Harbeth SHL5s with a Bryston B100 Integrated and the combo is working out very well! My wooden stands are custom made. Speaker cables are Auditorium 23s and they sound very natural. Bryston uses Van Damme speaker cables. These are just suggestions. I am sure there are many good choices out there to but I felt I wanted to share my joy, seeing that you use Bryston amplification as well!

Best regards
Dennis

ec

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2008, 04:02 pm »
I have TB2's for the fronts, centre and surrounds and TB1's for the 6th and 7th channels.  For my TB2's I use the Target "TS-60" stands if recall.  I had the TS-40's previously.  The 40 represents 40 cm and the 60 > 60 cm.  The reason for the tall stands is that I have 3 tiers of seating so I wanted to raise the speakers.  However I found when in the front row listening to 2 ch music.  I like the illusion of the elevated soundstage.  So it worked out well for me.  The Target stands are also relatively cheap - think less than $200 a few years back.  These are the ones with two columns (front to back) supporting the top plate.  The bottom plate has spikes.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2008, 04:06 pm »
I use Apollo A3 stands for my Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelves.  I've heard them on more expensive and cheaper stands.  I found them to be the best price/performance stands by far.  More expensive stands gave little to no improvement in my home.  Everyone's ears and preferences are different though.

They're very sturdy, easy to move if need be, and can be mass loaded pretty easily.  I tried mass loading, but they sounded better without it under my conditions.  They look far better in person than they do in the pictures too.

They're worth every penny of the $150 I paid. 

http://www.dynamichomedecor.com/Apollo-A3.html

AnthonyH

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2008, 04:12 pm »
Hi all.

Thanks for the responses. I think I worded it badly the first time. I'm looking to replace my floorstanders with bookshelf speakers as I don't have a big enough room anymore.

But I guess that the stands are just as important  :D

denjo

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2008, 06:30 pm »
AnthonyH

I understood you perfectly the first time!  :wink:

Best Regards
Dennis

ec

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2008, 07:10 pm »
Not sure what your budget is because the TB1's have been discontinued long ago - in otherwords they can be had cheap!  I have not listened to the new TB2's, namely the + and now the i's.  However if you do decide to go this route: TB2's you may want to consider the FB1's because it's foot print is the same size as the TB2s.  The main reason why I went with the TB2's was I wanted 5 identical speakers for the 5.1 (now 7.1) setup and since I do not use an accoustically transparent screen so the FB1's were out.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:30 am »
Sorry for the mix up.

It really all depends on what you want you're looking for in your speakers.  The Harbeths mentioned are fantastic.  A bit too pricey for my budget though.  If you like PMCs, you'll probably like Audio Physic and certain Totems.  I auditioned the DB1+ and really liked it.  To my ears, the Yaras were fuller and a bit richer sounding.  Not in an overly smooth and romantic way as some put it.  It just sounds like more music is coming out of the speakers.  They also throw a deeper and wider soundstage.  Tonally, they are extremely similar to my ears.  Very clean, neutral, and detailed without being clinical.

A lot of people like Totem Rainmakers.  I like the Arros a little better, but that's more preference than anything else.  Think of the Arro as a monitor in a floorstander body rather than a floorstander.

I haven't heard the latest Yaras or PMCs.  If you have an Audio Physic dealer near you, you should make it a point to hear them.  Audio Physic's downfall is their US distributor IMO.  Dealers can be hard to come by, and reviews are almost non-existant.  My finding them was more by chance than active pursuit.   

AnthonyH

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2008, 03:34 pm »
Hi guys, thanks for the ideas. I think that I was the only one who was confused  :duh:

I'll look around for dealers of the speakers mentioned, see what I can audition.