Torus Qyery (again!)

KeithA

Re: Torus Qyery (again!)
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2008, 02:30 am »
Amp @ 62 lbs & Torus unit @ 76 lbs requires one heck of a shelf.

I know :D ...and the little Rotel amp that sits between the Torus and the SP1.7 may soon be replaced with another 100lb monster.

Keith

Dardemm

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jul 2008, 02:33 am »
Hi James,
I'm sure you get this question all the time, but i haven't been able to find the answer.  I've noticed there are a number of Torus products now.  In the RM line alone there are 5 units ranging from the RM2.5 to the RM20.  Without having much of a technical background its a bit confusing figuring out the relationship between the different units.  Could you take a minute to match the Torus devices with various Bryston products? 

For example, if you are using a 2BSST along with a BP26 and BCD1, which Torus power unit would you recommend?  Would that recommendation change if the amp and the Pre/CD were connected separately?

I am currently using a 9B SST amplifier, but have various other devices near the amplifier that would plug into the same unit, including a HT Receiver, Subwoofer, Blu-Ray, SACD, Turntable & phone stage. 

It would be great to know how each power device relates to each power amplifier and the other components that make up a system.  Thanks very much,

david

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2008, 10:21 am »
HI David,

A lot will depend on the duty cycle - if your a professional user with the gear used at or near its power limits or the typical home user.

Generally I recommend adding up the MAXIMUM current draw of all your equipment and then purchase the Torus that will supply somewhere between 100% and 75% of that figure.

For instance a 9B wilh all channels driven at FULL power into 8 ohms can draw 14 amps. Rarely would you draw full power to all channels so a 15 or 20 amp Torus would be a good choice depending on what else is in your system. Products like CD Players and preamps etc. draw very little amperage so generally you will not have much of an issue with them  In fact what I am finding is people typically order the bigger Torus for the amplifier(s) and a small 2.5 or 5 amp unit for all the source gear.

Some of the video projectors can draw 4-5 amps but most of the new ones I looked at draw around 1-2 amps. Subwoofers typically use a Class D style amp so their power draw is not much of an issue in the overall calculation.

Hope this helps.

james

klao

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jul 2008, 10:32 am »
Hi all & James,

1. I'm trying to calculate the power requirement for my future system upgrade.  The 7B-SST manual stated the amp's max power consumption of 1,980W at 4 Ohms (driving Magnepan speakers).  Is that for just 1 monoblock?  Also I could not find the required current draw for the PowerPac 300 @ 4 Ohms.  I'll be using the 220V-240V models for Thailand.  The other gear in the system should require no more than 1,000W.  Are we looking at the figure of around 5,500-6,000 Watts here (including two 7Bs & one PowerPac300)?

2. Will TorusPower completely solve the problems arising from turning on/off or using other electrical appliances (light swtiches & water heating unit) that pass through noises, pops, hisses, and humming to the audio/video system?  The Shunyata Hydra 6 passive conditioner I'm using can't cope with those problems.  Real annoyance is the humming of the subwoofer (class-D amp) connected via pre-outs of my integrated amp, while the water heater for showering is being used.

3. If the answer is yes in #2 above, which model of the Torus should I use?  For your additional information, the power transformer / line to my house is 30A.  There is no dedicated line for my listening room.  I have two sets of power plug outlets on the left and righ side of the front wall (Wattgate 381 receptacles), in case you recommend connecting the 7B-SSTs directly to both sides of the wall outlets.

4.  What the diffrences in input current limit & of the Taurus models for?  (Please excuse my lack of electrical knowledge.)  The international models seem to have lower spec?  Comparing the RM8INTL vs RM20BAL:  inlets 8A vs 10A; outlets 10A IEC vs 20A medical grade duplex.  Will the INTL model not sound as good?  Could and should I ask my local electrician to replace the supplied 10A IEC outlets (INTLmodel) with audio grade ones like the Wattgate 381 or other makes?

5.  Can I order a Torus unit via Bryston distributor as well?

Thank you.

denjo

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jul 2008, 10:38 am »
Hi all & James,

2. Will TorusPower completely solve the problems arising from turning on/off or using other electrical appliances (light swtiches & water heating unit) that pass through noises, pops, hisses, and humming to the audio/video system?  The Shunyata Hydra 6 passive conditioner I'm using can't cope with those problems.  Real annoyance is the humming of the subwoofer (class-D amp) connected via pre-outs of my integrated amp, while the water heater for showering is being used.

I use a Hydra-6 as well and can relate to the popping sound you are experiencing so I would be very interested to know if the TORUS would cure this as well. In my case, with my previous pre and power, I could hear static-like noise whenever I turned on the fluorescent light. It was real annoying and I worry about the longterm effects on the speakers!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jul 2008, 02:34 pm »
Hi all & James,

1. I'm trying to calculate the power requirement for my future system upgrade.  The 7B-SST manual stated the amp's max power consumption of 1,980W at 4 Ohms (driving Magnepan speakers).  Is that for just 1 monoblock?  Also I could not find the required current draw for the PowerPac 300 @ 4 Ohms.  I'll be using the 220V-240V models for Thailand.  The other gear in the system should require no more than 1,000W.  Are we looking at the figure of around 5,500-6,000 Watts here (including two 7Bs & one PowerPac300)?

3. If the answer is yes in #2 above, which model of the Torus should I use?  For your additional information, the power transformer / line to my house is 30A.  There is no dedicated line for my listening room.  I have two sets of power plug outlets on the left and righ side of the front wall (Wattgate 381 receptacles), in case you recommend connecting the 7B-SSTs directly to both sides of the wall outlets.

4.  What the diffrences in input current limit & of the Taurus models for?  (Please excuse my lack of electrical knowledge.)  The international models seem to have lower spec?  Comparing the RM8INTL vs RM20BAL:  inlets 8A vs 10A; outlets 10A IEC vs 20A medical grade duplex.  Will the INTL model not sound as good?  Could and should I ask my local electrician to replace the supplied 10A IEC outlets (INTLmodel) with audio grade ones like the Wattgate 381 or other makes?

Thank you.

Hi,

The maximum amperage on the 7B at 4 ohms would be 8 amps each at 230V (the amperage is cut in half at 230v compared to 120V). A single PP300 would be 4 amps at 4 ohms full power.

The International 16 amp would be the best choice.

The Torus is an 'ISOLATION TRANSFORMER' so it will isolate your system from the noises., pops , hissing, etc.

Yes you can order a Torus through the Bryston distributor.

What are "Wattgate 381"

james

splittailz

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jul 2008, 04:59 pm »
Hi all & James,

Thank you.

Hi,

The maximum amperage on the 7B at 4 ohms would be 8 amps each at 230V (the amperage is cut in half at 230v compared to 120V). A single PP300 would be 4 amps at 4 ohms full power.

The Torus is an 'ISOLATION TRANSFORMER' so it will isolate your system from the noises., pops , hissing, etc.

What are "Wattgate 381"

james

hello James. I think what he is talking about with the wattgate plug is the same problem I had with the International 16 Torus finding acceptable plugs to go from the Torus to the amp.
I bought Hubbell plugs at stayonline.com for mine and they are just fine.

klao

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jul 2008, 05:22 pm »

...I have two sets of power plug outlets on the left and righ side of the front wall (Wattgate 381 receptacles), in case you recommend connecting the 7B-SSTs directly to both sides of the wall outlets.

...Could and should I ask my local electrician to replace the supplied 10A IEC outlets (INTLmodel) with audio grade ones like the Wattgate 381 or other makes?

Hi,

What are "Wattgate 381"

james

hello James. I think what he is talking about with the wattgate plug is the same problem I had with the International 16 Torus finding acceptable plugs to go from the Torus to the amp.
I bought Hubbell plugs at stayonline.com for mine and they are just fine.

Hello James.  Thanks for your affirmation on noises isolation and advise on the Torus model.  The Wattgate 381 are just AC duplex outlets.  As a newbie, audiophile-wannabe, I still am lured by that nice "audio-grade" copy and marking. :) Just hoping they might sound a bit better than the medical grade ones used by Torus (I presume 120V and INTL versions use the same grade of outlets).

Hi Splitailz.  Thanks, we can use the US style plugs here, as per the links below.

http://www.thecableco.com/product.php?id=1720
http://www.thecableco.com/product.php?id=1732

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 31 Jul 2008, 01:09 pm »
Hi All,

Terrific review on the Torus 10 Amp (RM10) Power Isolation Transformer in the online Magazine - Soundstage.
It received an EDITORS CHOICE AWARD

Take note in the review of the INSTANTANIOUS CURRENT draw available to the amplifier.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/torus_power_rm10.htm

james

mfsoa

« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:23 pm »
James,
Without getting into who's better than who performence-wise, can you please tell me if the general functioning of the Torus is the same as a Richard Gray Substation - Do the units pretty much do the same thing?
If the Torus has features/functions above and beyond the RGPC unit, can you please elaborate?

Thanks
-Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 2 Aug 2008, 02:40 am »
James,
Without getting into who's better than who performence-wise, can you please tell me if the general functioning of the Torus is the same as a Richard Gray Substation - Do the units pretty much do the same thing?
If the Torus has features/functions above and beyond the RGPC unit, can you please elaborate?

Thanks
-Mike

Hi,

I will check it out and let you know.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 2 Aug 2008, 03:06 am »
James,

Thanks
-Mike

Hi Mike,

The RG seems to be an isolation transformer like the Torus. They offer it in 240 and 120 volt feeds like the Torus.

The differences appear to be that they use MOV's as surge protection rather than the Series Mode surge protection Torus uses. We do not use MOV's as MOV's are sacrificial components and they also shunt the spikes to ground.

I can not seem to find the transformer size (VA rating) used or the output impedance of the RG so there may be differences there as well. Low output impedance and the noise filtering characteristics of the unit are very important considerations.

james