New (to me) B60RP owner has a few questions

panderso

Re: New (to me) B60RP owner has a few questions
« Reply #40 on: 17 Oct 2008, 03:22 pm »
I've been following this thread with interest. I've had recent extensive audition of the earlier B-60 integrated from an authorized dealer, the model previous to the SST version.  The earlier model is available at a nice price.  It sounds superb with my Harbeth HL P3 ES2s; the little mini-monitor of the family. 

Can anyone comment on the sonic differences between the SST version of the B-60 and the predecessor?  I understand there is an improved output stage involved, but what sonic differences would be experienced in a suitable application; good small two-ways in a smaller room?  I hope this isn't too far off-topic for the thread, let me know.

regards,
             -paul-

Stu Pitt

« Reply #41 on: 17 Oct 2008, 08:10 pm »
"I hope this isn't too far off-topic for the thread, let me know."

I don't think its far off topic at all.  I started the thread and like where its gone.

I'd like to hear people's opinions on the standard B60 vs SST as well.

Great speakers, BTW.

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #42 on: 18 Oct 2008, 06:58 am »
James,

Earlier you wrote:

HI Orson,

Checked with engineering this morning and there is no upgrade from the previous B60 to the new B60 SST. It has a different main board. The link refers to some small part changes on the older B60.
B60's from serial number 601360 can have the SST output devices.

james

:o

Hi there,

Yes I should have been clearer.  As of 601360 we could modify the B60 to take the new SST output devices.  We did not start using the new output devices though in manufacturing until serial number 601733. 

james

James,

I was wrong about the S/N. :wink:

The S/N of my B60SST is 602340.
So it must be a real B60SST with the newer output devices. 
Correct me if I am wrong.

Hififreak

• www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #43 on: 18 Oct 2008, 09:17 am »
Click

The information in the link is created wednesday 18 february 2004!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #44 on: 18 Oct 2008, 10:21 am »
James,

Earlier you wrote:

HI Orson,

Checked with engineering this morning and there is no upgrade from the previous B60 to the new B60 SST. It has a different main board. The link refers to some small part changes on the older B60.
B60's from serial number 601360 can have the SST output devices.

james

:o

Hi there,

Yes I should have been clearer.  As of 601360 we could modify the B60 to take the new SST output devices.  We did not start using the new output devices though in manufacturing until serial number 601733. 

james

James,

I was wrong about the S/N. :wink:

The S/N of my B60SST is 602340.
So it must be a real B60SST with the newer output devices. 
Correct me if I am wrong.

HI,

Yes if it is above **1733 it should be an SST.
If there is any question you can confirm by opening the top of your B60 and if the output devices are black square ones (not round silver ones) then it is an SST (check the pictures above that Rob posted).

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #45 on: 18 Oct 2008, 10:31 am »
Click

The information in the link is created wednesday 18 february 2004!

Hi Hififreak,

That is just the date of the new literature booklet we released calling the B60 an SST.

james

rob80b

« Reply #46 on: 18 Oct 2008, 12:42 pm »

HI,

Yes if it is above **1733 it should be an SST.
If there is any question you can confirm by opening the top of your B60 and if the output devices are black square ones (not round silver ones) then it is an SST (check the pictures above that Rob posted).

james

This is fun stuff, as I had assumed the B60R I had recently acquired (date code 0120) was the older unit, it was from a studio, the input selections are all labeled input 1, input 2, etc.
Although it was a B60R apparently there was no hole for the remote sensor so they had one of their technicians drill a hole in the faceplate where one should have been. (Not too sure if affects the warranty).
As most of the screws for the top plate looked a little mangled (wrong tool for the job?)  I made sure after receiving the B60R that it had not been modified in any way, the insides were untouched but was pleasantly surprised to see it was identical to the photos I’ve seen of the SST, I just assumed it was the older series.

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #47 on: 18 Oct 2008, 02:10 pm »

As most of the screws for the top plate looked a little mangled (wrong tool for the job?)  I made sure after receiving the B60R that it had not been modified in any way, the insides were untouched but was pleasantly surprised to see it was identical to the photos I’ve seen of the SST, I just assumed it was the older series.

Robert

For cosmetic reasons only, anyone know where I may acquire some replacement screws in downtown TO, I've tried the obvious sources Active Surplus, Above All Electronics etc.
I mentioned it to James but thought I'd look around before contacting Bryston's service who I'm sure would probably mail me a set.

Robert

templetune

« Reply #48 on: 20 Oct 2008, 09:47 am »
O.K. I think on top of this now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that no version of the B60 is a quad complimentary device; the SST designation merely refers to the use of "newer Motorola output devices". The circuit is otherwise unchanged from the original B60 although there is a change in the physical layout of the circuit board starting with number 601350.

Of course it's subjective but in these circumstances how much difference could there be in the "sound" of a B60 compared to a B60SST?

Hififreak

• www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #49 on: 20 Oct 2008, 04:30 pm »
Of course it's subjective but in these circumstances how much difference could there be in the "sound" of a B60 compared to a B60SST?

Both amplifiers sound great en the specs are also! 

rob80b

« Reply #50 on: 20 Oct 2008, 05:52 pm »
Spent the better part of this morning (my only day off in the week) listening to the B60B, I swapped out my 4BSST and ran the amp section of the BP60 from the BP25P.
As nice as the little guy can sound, I’m sure with both versions, it’s going to come down to speaker efficiency and your preferred listening levels.
The BP60’s 60 Watts were not enough to give that sense of realism, soundstage, depth and overall ease of presentation that the 4BSST portrays running my Dynaudio Contours 86 db’s at 4 0hms.
The volume of both amps was the same at about 11 o’clock on the BP25 to obtain the same loudness, interestingly enough, at moderate listening levels.
The BP60 got quite warm after about ½ an hour, with the 4BSST and my previous 3BST any temperature change was slight.
Overall the B60R retains Bryston’s sound signature, a good thing, with maybe a slight warmth to the overall sound but I would probably recommend the B60 for a smaller system (read less aggressive listening) or running more efficient speakers.
As I’m just getting into HT, I’m currently using it to run some surrounds directly from my OPPO and it does a fine job for the time being without getting into a more elaborate sound processing system.
I believe I mentioned this earlier, but prior to using the B60R I tried an early version of the 2BLP Pro (not the current edition) for a few months, the BP60R is much better sounding unit, and of course the remote makes it much easier the adjust the levels.

Robert

Lancelot

« Reply #51 on: 20 Oct 2008, 07:22 pm »
As the previous owner of a B60 and now a 3B SST, rob80b's summary of the difference between the B60 and his 4B SST  mirrors mine using speakers of similiar sensitivity to his ( I have PSB Stratus Silver i's).

The B60 sounded *nice* for lack of a better word. The insertion of the 3B SST ( everything else remained the same ) made a rather profound difference by audiophile standards ( meaning careful listening ). The whole soundstage grew significantly larger with the sound taking on a a sort of relaxed ease- powerful yet delicate at the same time.

As good as the B60 is , it really needs a relatively efficient loudspeaker to be compatible. It will work with other speakers but working and working very well are two very different goals.

rob80b

« Reply #52 on: 20 Oct 2008, 07:57 pm »
I guess we are half way up the ladder, I'm sure owners of the 7,14 & 28BSST would have similar comments on the 3 & 4BSST.

Robert

Hififreak

• www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #53 on: 20 Oct 2008, 08:40 pm »
I'm using the B60SST with ADAM ART Pencil speakers (89 dB).
The B25DA-14B SST combination with ADAM ART Concept Monitors (86dB).

In blind testing it's differcult to say which system is playing.

Only on rainy sundays I use this system.

:D

rob80b

« Reply #54 on: 20 Oct 2008, 10:34 pm »
I'm using the B60SST with ADAM ART Pencil speakers (89 dB).
The B25DA-14B SST combination with ADAM ART Concept Monitors (86dB).

In blind testing it's differcult to say which system is playing.

Well, as they say "The more things change, the more things remain the same"