Quick Question

kjamc1982

Quick Question
« on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:34 am »
I am currently thinking of get a Virtue One amp to replace my current one I have. I have a pair of PSB Alphas is this a good enough speakers or should I get a more efficient later on?

PSB Guy

Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2010, 03:26 am »
I used the original Virtue One amp with a pair of Alpha B1s for about 6 months until I replaced them with Image B5s. The Alphas are great speakers for the price, but the Virtue One (or any of the other Virtue amps, for that matter) will really shine with even better speakers, they are that good. Use a good subwoofer, if it's in your budget. No, I don't work for PSB, I just like their stuff...

Cornelis

kjamc1982

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2010, 04:20 am »
Thanks for the answer. Will more than likely stay with PSB speakers but still out on what kind of subwoofer to get. Just need to wait a few more weeks till I can get Virtue Audio One I want.

ismarketing

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:33 pm »
I use a V1 with a pair of B1's and I'm quite happy with them - the system is the kitchen with a Squeezebox as the source.  I also have a V2.2 in the bedroom driving a pair of Silverline Minuets.  The Minuets are a very nice step up from the B1's - much more transparent and sound faster.  You give up surprising little bass, though dynamics are not as strong.  Nice too that they are smaller.

The Minutes can be had for a very fair price online, and it's one of the brands Seth recommends as a "good buddy" for the Virtue gear.

One thought - If you have not done it already, consider the 130w power supply for your V1.  Makes a  real difference in bass performance and clarity of the soundstage.  The improvement can easily be heard through the PSB's.

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:47 pm »
+1 here on upgrading the power supply. It really does make a dramatic difference in just about every aspect of the sound. I am using the 30v/130w supply with my Virtue One, but if I had the newer One.2, I'd step it up even further and use batteries or the JT Dynamic power supply. Unfortunately, that's not an option with the original One. Fortunately, it still rocks with the 30v/130w supply. The more current you can throw at these amps, the better your results will be.

Cornelis

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2010, 03:26 pm »
+2 on the power supply upgrade-I have a TWO.2 with the 30/130 Power supply and really love it. If your budget is tight for a sub, mine always is, I use a POLK PSW10 with my TWO.2 and it works well there are better subs for sure but you can usually find the PSW10's fairly inexpensively and use whatever is in surplus cash wise to better your power supply...just a thought.
 Enjoy your amp!!!
 Ed :thumb: