Question about 2 15" subs

coke

Question about 2 15" subs
« on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:08 pm »
I've been considering getting 2 15" rythmik audio subwoofers, and remembered that I had 2, 15" subs from my car audio system that I'm no longer using.  I was wondering if they would perform well for home theater, or possibly music in a 2.1 setup.

here are the specs

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/iD%20Discontinued%20Speakers%20and%20Eletronics/iDQ15%20D2%20V2.pdf

mcgsxr

Re: Question about 2 15" subs
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:49 pm »
I have never played around with those specific IDQ subs, but I cannot imagine why they would not perform well in the house.

You would need to decide what your strategy is for using them - tight bass for music, or low bass for HT - and pick the best alignment accordingly.

I have extensively used car subs in the home in the exact manner you describe - Fosgate, JL, and Nakamichi.  My current HT sub on the main floor is a 12 inch Nakamichi ported at 23Hz, and driven by a Crown pro amp.

coke

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:04 pm »
You would need to decide what your strategy is for using them - tight bass for music, or low bass for HT - and pick the best alignment accordingly.

I prefer sealed subs, so I'd probably go with 2 sealed boxes.  As far as movies or music, the primary use would be movies, so they'd need to play down somewhere around 15-20Hz if possible.  My speakers have usuable bass in the upper 20s in my room, but i'd like to try the subs in a 2.1 or 2.2 setup to see how they sound with music also.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2010, 03:07 pm »
Tough to get sealed boxes to play that low in most rooms (not the cabin gain situation like in cars), but with enough EQ anything is possible. 

Recommend you turn to the nutbars over on this forum for more coaching...

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/26144-car-sub-home-use.html - here is an example of them helping a guy design boxes for his older Kicker car subs, for use in his HT.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:42 pm »
My dual 15's play to about 10Hz flat.  Room gain is your friend.  :D

I believe my TC2000 drivers have been used for car audio (or maybe even were designed for that purpose originally), so I say give it a shot, coke.  If you don't like the sound, sell the drivers and use the boxes you built for different drivers (TC Sounds, Acoustic Elegance, etc). 

warnerwh

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2010, 11:29 am »
As stated above go to hometheathershack. In case you are unaware it is mandatory to design the box to the drivers. These guys will help you. Just tell them what your goals are.

coke

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2010, 11:45 am »
Thanks, I'll go ask over there.

I ususally use WinISD when building boxes, but it's been a really long time since I've done it.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2010, 11:59 am »
Unibox is a pretty handy program for doing box calculations. I've found it helpful anyway...

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2010, 09:18 pm »
Thanks, I'll go ask over there.

I ususally use WinISD when building boxes, but it's been a really long time since I've done it.

WinISD is what many people still use, so you'll be just fine.  HT Shack does have VERY helpful members, though. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2010, 09:35 pm »
Agree the 'Shack is full of guys with a tremendous passion for bass - and trust me, I am a complete nutbar myself, so when I say they are nuts about bass...

The box programs you suggest will be fine, the members there might be able to offer opinion though, about optimization, best filters etc.