Anyone tried Bybee's new crystal tweak with NC-400?

barrows

• Industry Participant
Anyone tried Bybee's new crystal tweak with NC-400?
« on: 14 Apr 2015, 07:08 pm »
Jack Bybee (if you are laughing now, no need to read further) has some new, apparently crystal based, relatively affordable signal enhancement devices which look like they may be a natural pairing with the NC-400 modules.  I think one of these inside the case, above each module would be worth experimenting with.
Whose up for it?

sts9fan

Re: Anyone tried Bybee's new crystal tweak with NC-400?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2015, 07:59 pm »
Jack and Bruno.  Thats funny. 

Ric Schultz

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2015, 08:10 pm »
Which Bybees are you referring to?  All the crystal based units I see on his site start at $300 each (this is affordable?).  I bet my modified Wima caps on the output would make way more difference and they cost $120 for both amps (assuming you install them).

Here is an email I got from someone a few days ago:

Changing the caps was not a beginners venture.  I have built the ST-70 mod from Welborne and it has been my main HF amp, but the closeness of the contacts in the NCore requires steady hands.  I also had to get a solder pump to clear the hole.  But the replacement went well enough.  The change is not really an upgrade, it is more of a transformation of the amp.  The change isn’t so much in tone or emphasis, it is just more of what the base amp does well.  There is more clarity and the sound stage is improved.  I had the NCore for about 9 months and didn’t think it was as good as my ST-70 mod amp.  With your mod they are very comparable with the ST-70 still having less clarity, but with that subtle tube sound.  So the two amps were pretty close as far as my preference.  I am working on the other mods to bypass the connectors.

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2015, 08:26 pm »
Is it appropriate to advertise here?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2015, 09:12 pm »
Is it appropriate to advertise here?

Huh?  I assure you I have no association with Jack Bybee or any company which sells, distributes, or markets his products.  The reason I have not tried these yet is that I have a lot of projects currently underway, and do not have the time/money to invest in a pair of these right now.

cab

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2015, 09:46 pm »
Jack and Bruno.  Thats funny.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2015, 10:00 pm »
This thread is two weeks behind the times.

jonbee

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2015, 11:39 pm »
I've owned and used a few of Bybee's devices, both freestanding and built into cables, for quite a long while in various places in my systems. I currently use none in my main system, as they provide no net benefit there. I use a pair of speaker bullets in my office system, where they provide a modest improvement. They do have some effect on the sound that is sometimes helpful and sometimes detrimental, but it is always subtle. At their prices there are many options (yes, including Ric Schultz' modded Wimas which I use in my N-Cores) that provide the possibility of much greater subjective effect, and used selectively, improvement.
So at Bybee's prices, for most of us cabling and cap rolling can get better results for the $, IMO. For those for whom money is no object and who already have got very dialed-in high-rez systems, they are worth a try, but like everything, matchups are key.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2015, 11:58 pm »
Please keep this thread limited to Bybee's.  Thanks.

Occam

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2015, 12:33 am »
Please keep this thread limited to Bybee's.  Thanks.

I don't believe Barrows was asking about Bybees (the product), but rather Jack Bybee's new product, utilizing piezoelectric crystal materials that he recently 'discovered'.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2015, 12:43 am »
I don't believe Barrows was asking about Bybees (the product), but rather Jack Bybee's new product, utilizing piezoelectric crystal materials that he recently 'discovered'.
That wasn't directed towards him.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2015, 01:00 am »
I've owned and used a few of Bybee's devices, both freestanding and built into cables, for quite a long while in various places in my systems. I currently use none in my main system, as they provide no net benefit there. I use a pair of speaker bullets in my office system, where they provide a modest improvement. They do have some effect on the sound that is sometimes helpful and sometimes detrimental, but it is always subtle. At their prices there are many options (yes, including Ric Schultz' modded Wimas which I use in my N-Cores) that provide the possibility of much greater subjective effect, and used selectively, improvement.
So at Bybee's prices, for most of us cabling and cap rolling can get better results for the $, IMO. For those for whom money is no object and who already have got very dialed-in high-rez systems, they are worth a try, but like everything, matchups are key.

Bybees I like quite a bit in power applications (power strips, power supplies), but I really dislike them anywhere in the audio signal path.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2015, 01:15 am »
I even dont like it in power cords or power filters.
To me these bullets are the most snake oil there is.
Starting with price :duh:

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2015, 01:33 am »
Yup, not talking about the Bybee filters, I am talking about this:

http://www.tweekgeek.com/bybee-quantum-signal-enhancer/

This looks like it using piezoelectric properties of crystals to damp RF fields, quartz and its varieties can damp RF when implemented correctly, and this is science, not snake oil.  the only question would be what the magnitude of the difference might be.

Anyone who thinks what Jack does is snake oil has either not tried his stuff, or has not implemented them correctly.  I understand those who complain about the price, but the products do work, I have tried the large inline purifiers on AC delivery, and there is no question they are cleaning up some kind of noise.  Simple test: put a large Bybee purifier inline with the hot AC lead going to a an outlet, and then plug your TV into that outlet, and then A/B to an untreated outlet-the difference is very obvious.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2015, 02:02 am »
In the 90s years I put just one these RF Filter

of that AQ famous brand in a power cord of a nasty pro amp driving a nasty 4x10'' 200W pro audio FR:

These filters point are 100kHz but the result was instant audible as a smoke screen over the soundstage.

Result: Audio is not science, audio is music and emotion, something much more complex than science and silly numbers.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2015, 02:08 am »
Audio is not science, audio is music and emotion, something much more complex than science and silly numbers.
:rotflmao: :duh:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2015, 02:17 am »
BYBEE – QUANTUM SIGNAL ENHANCER  (CRYSTAL SERIES)
The Bybee – Quantum Signal Enhancer by Bybee Technologies will transform any audio or video component to a higher level of performance with Quantum proton alignment Signal Enhancer technology.  When placed in a room, it also functions as one of the most economical and effective room treatment devices on the market.

http://bybeetech.com/?page_id=136

Occam

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2015, 02:32 am »
This looks like it using piezoelectric properties of crystals to damp RF fields, quartz and its varieties can damp RF when implemented correctly, and this is science, not snake oil.  the only question would be what the magnitude of the difference might be.

The magnitude can be quite substantial, both subjectively and objectively. To be frank, IMO, this is not a forum that is going to generate any true exchange of ideas. BobM tried to start a thread for discussing their effects on phono cartridges. I commented on my positive experiences, and we were met with patronizing corrections from those with poor reading comprehension and/or little interest in the exchange of ideas, who have the empirical curiosity of a turnip and the sure knowledge of their expertise. We abandoned the thread.

Please note, not one person has asked for information or clarification, but rather want to share their irrelevant experiences with ferrites and whatnot.

That being said, Jack Bybee's explanation for his piezoelectric technology is totally unsubstantiated twaddle, but he does admit his explanation is all hypothesis. From a marketing perspective, the explanation and claims don't have to be accurate, they just has to be there.

Good luck in what could be an interesting thread.

Regards,
Paul

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2015, 02:33 am »
BYBEE – QUANTUM SIGNAL ENHANCER  (CRYSTAL SERIES)
The Bybee – Quantum Signal Enhancer by Bybee Technologies will transform any audio or video component to a higher level of performance with Quantum proton alignment Signal Enhancer technology.  When placed in a room, it also functions as one of the most economical and effective room treatment devices on the market.

http://bybeetech.com/?page_id=136

OMG, that is pretty much magic rock territory.  Wow.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2015, 02:46 am »
Also room treatment, Incredible!!
May be some people believes it.