Chilkoot

Re: Build Question for Studio Monitors
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jun 2020, 03:37 pm »
Good to see the beverages are handy!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2020, 04:42 pm »
Doh!  :duh:

Combination of beverage, old age and momentary lapse of reason is gonna cost me some time  :(
I had to actually run back to the garage and trim to allow the 3/4 needed (NOT!) for the frame.

Dang that glue sets op fast. I was warned by Sonicjoy. Glad I had made 3 panels @22.5 degrees.

Also, assembled a x-over. Hopeful someone gives me a verification it's wired correctly.

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2020, 05:47 pm »
I'd consider it a Ford vs Chevy thing. If you started with MDF and you don't mind working with it, press on. Many, many fine speakers have been built using it and  Baltic Birch. Only an issue if you want it to be.

100% agree, not to mention the  speakers  were designed and voiced  using  MDF/Medex.

jay
On a side note,  been  working on the  flat packs for these  ,  going to be cutting  some soon

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jun 2020, 09:13 pm »
Getting ready to test the x-over build. I don't have speaker cables with banana plugs but I do have a speaker that uses banana jumpers so I replaced the DMD Dancer upper with the Studio Monitor. I left the tweeter unconnected as I wish to see if mid woof plays before I smoke the Neo 3.

One of the banana lugs won't go into the Danny's sleeves as it had been soldered. Need to drill or use a solder sucker. Contact is good enough for a test however.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2020, 11:34 pm »
Had my Studios up and playing. They were really starting to play well but they weren't finished. So I secured the wood, veneered the sides and painted the baffles. This involved unsoldering wires from woofers and binding posts.

I learned a lot about veneering. First I suck at it and those youtube video's.. looked so easy.  Next time, no stick-on veneer! 

So OK they are (or were) buttoned up and ready to play. Now I get no response from one of my woofers  :o

I removed silent woofer and looked for broken wire, unsoldered wire, anything that could keep the woofer silent. I've found nothing. I took the other speaker woofer out and compared x-over builds but both look identical. I basically went off of Sonicjoy pics and x-over 101 but never got a confirmation that my wiring was OK. Nonetheless, the speakers played well, well, they had anyway.

I'm at a loss   :scratch:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jun 2020, 12:11 am »
Take the offending woofer out and hook it up direct to the amp to test it then go from there.

Good luck!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jun 2020, 12:31 am »
Thanks Sonijoy. Performed that operation and..

silent woofer  :(

I see nothing physically wrong with this woofer. Wires are connected, took speaker cables straight to the drivers wires (ohm'd it as well)

Looks like a defective driver.

This has not been a lucky build with damaged baffles and other anomalies.

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jun 2020, 02:26 am »
Put an ohm meter on it and see what you get.

If it is if fact bad then send it back and I'll replace it.

maty

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jun 2020, 06:38 am »
Better now, after adding to the image: [&size=huge]
https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=210061&size=huge

Chipboard on top and not MDF. Why?

https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=210059&size=huge

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jun 2020, 03:34 pm »
I was really looking forward to seeing how the Studio Monitors performed in a much smaller room, my new "man-den". The one "full range"  monitor sounds very promising in this room  :lol:

When both monitors were playing in my main system rig, spinning Jennifer Warnes "The Hunter" vinyl from a Rega P10 to a Rogue Audio Ares with blue mag step up transformers was an out of body experience. I used an SVS Ultra sub to fill in the 70HZ and below frequencies and I was really impressed. Exited too as there was only ~15 hours and these speakers! Vocals were starting to fill in, gaining weight with every hour it seemed. My 10 year old was blown away. He proceeded to tell me how great the was separation of instruments, the feeling of space around the instruments and he could tell almost the size of the room the recording played in.

Sometimes I wonder if I haven't ruined him for life when it comes to audio equipment  :scratch: He better get a REALLY good job. Or learn DIY..

jcsperson

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jun 2020, 06:38 pm »

Sonicjoy

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jun 2020, 07:35 pm »
Hey those are starting to look familiar. Looking good! Hope you get that woofer issue straightened out soon.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 18 Jun 2020, 07:39 pm »
Did ya add the included yarn to the outermost slots of the tweeters?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jun 2020, 11:07 pm »
The yarn is in place.

Anxious to get a working driver.

Leaving town for a few days. Really want to what the S Monitors will do in my den when I get back  :thumb:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2020, 11:28 pm »
One more observation if I may. It looks like you may have more than the recommended fiber fill in them (though it is hard to tell from the photo). Danny want's a layer on the back and over the crossovers on the bottom only. Don't stuff the box full it can over dampen the sound. It is noted in the plans.

You will get there and it will be worth the wait! They are truly world class speakers!

Cheers. :beer:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 21 Jun 2020, 02:32 am »
Yes overdamping the speakers is a bad idea and will cause them to sound muffled.  I found this out with my Forte's when we modded them.  I mistakenly put more damping in one speaker than the other and couldn't figure out why it sounded dull compared to the other speaker.  Opened it up and noticed how much more stuffing I'd put in there.  Pulled the extra out and voila, lively and balanced sound again!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:26 pm »
One more observation if I may. It looks like you may have more than the recommended fiber fill in them (though it is hard to tell from the photo). Danny want's a layer on the back and over the crossovers on the bottom only. Don't stuff the box full it can over dampen the sound. It is noted in the plans.

You will get there and it will be worth the wait! They are truly world class speakers!

Cheers. :beer:

You guys are correct, I did stuff those suckers (blowers). I didn't note a muffled sound what-so-ever. They sounded open and clear but I'll go by your experience.

Really anxious for the driver. Too hot here to do anything outside.

Thanks for your keen observation  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jun 2020, 04:35 pm »
Yes overdamping the speakers is a bad idea and will cause them to sound muffled.  I found this out with my Forte's when we modded them.  I mistakenly put more damping in one speaker than the other and couldn't figure out why it sounded dull compared to the other speaker.  Opened it up and noticed how much more stuffing I'd put in there.  Pulled the extra out and voila, lively and balanced sound again!

I always weigh  the accusta-stuff to keep  speakers even.  Also, fluff  it up  so it is not densly compressed

jay

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jun 2020, 08:19 pm »
Now I'm wondering if I over-damped my big Ushers  :scratch: I entirely rebuilt the x-overs, added no-rez and stuffed them with polyfil.

We've been very happy with their sound (although wife always preferred line arrays) but a bit dark compared to the "overstuffed" monitors  :icon_lol: