Lone Star Audio Fest 2019

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Lone Star Audio Fest 2019
« Reply #40 on: 24 Apr 2019, 04:20 am »
The "Ritorno" 2-way being built for debut at the LSAF!

Norman Tracy

« Reply #41 on: 26 Apr 2019, 08:32 pm »
Only 7 days until Lone Star AudioFest May 3, 4 and 5, 2019.

Among the goodies we have Selah Audio's Omaggio line arrays scheduled. I am looking forward to my first chance to hear a design based on D.B. Keele Jr's CBT (Constant Beamwidth Transducer).

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #42 on: 26 Apr 2019, 10:03 pm »
The triple servo subs have now joined the NX-Treme's to get some burn in time.

Now I just have to get those grills finished up for the servo sub towers.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #43 on: 28 Apr 2019, 05:17 am »
Last weekend before LSAF 2019 and the new gear being introduced is coming together. Yes it’s a manic thrash but my work style funnels the creativity into design decisions when deadlines loom. On the electronics side a new version of the NT-JFET pre-amp incorporates the last two years of development work. The Korg NuTube + JFETs architecture remains with the 100kHz low noise regulators moved onboard and more powerful output stage. One part I am really pleased with is the revision B version of the mount for the NuTube 6P1 dual triode, first assembly shown below.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #44 on: 28 Apr 2019, 02:55 pm »
what day is everyone checking in?  i'll be there thursday afternoon and check in for fri and sat.

barryso

« Reply #45 on: 28 Apr 2019, 04:34 pm »
Hi Marvin,

If things go according to plan I'll be there around dinner time on Thursday and stick around until Monday morning.  Sunday is always a bit low key but it gives me a chance to decompress from Saturday before having to spend a day traveling home.

Looking forward it.

Barry

mtrot

« Reply #46 on: 29 Apr 2019, 01:00 am »
I'll get there Saturday morning and stay until Sunday afternoon. 

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 29 Apr 2019, 03:44 pm »
After finally sorting out the logistics of this weekend, I can say I will be there and have a handful of rooms again.  I will not be going as large as I did last year but expect to get better results this time around.

My first room will host the brand new Usher SD-500 monitor.  At just under $2,000, this is a speaker that could grab the market.  Utilizing the famous Usher Diamond tweeters along with a new 5" woofer, the sound is articulate and quick.  The rest of the electronics of this system has not been determined yet, but will likely utilize the Norma HS-IPA1 half sized integrated ($3,000 base, +$750 with DAC).

The second room will host Gunny from Sonner Audio as he showcases the Allegro Unum ($10,000) monitors.  The Norma IPA-140B ($7,000) will power them.

The third room will be the same system brought to AXPONA.  The newly redesigned Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole monitor ($7,500) will be powered by the Norma SC-2B preamplifier, 8.7MR monoblocks, and the DS-1 CD Player/DAC ($5,250).  Cables will be Wireworld Platinum throughout and the room will feature the Star Sound Technologies Sistrum Rhythm platforms.

barryso

« Reply #48 on: 1 May 2019, 12:14 pm »
Looking forward to hearing your rooms, Skip.  You always have great sounding rooms.

The rest of the show looks good, too.  Danny and Craig's arrays look interesting and they both do very fine work.

Wayne will be there with his 4 Pi's and John Busch is bringing the current version of his Widowmakers.  It's going to be a very interesting weekend.

Love it.

jparkhur

« Reply #49 on: 3 May 2019, 03:04 pm »
any photo updates and info would be wonderful for those of us not around...   hint hint..

mtrot

« Reply #50 on: 6 May 2019, 04:27 pm »
Here are a few pics I snapped.  Thanks to all the exhibitors for the time and effort they expended to pull off their demonstrations for a free admission show! 

The GR-Research room downstairs sounded incredible.  Great soundstage depth, and lateral imaging.  You could hear right where all the vocalists were standing!  Note the batteries powering the main speakers.
DSC_0346 by MDTshots, on Flickr

Raven Audio had two rooms, both of which produced beautiful sound, using their newly developed speakers and cables.
DSC_0344 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0343 by MDTshots, on Flickr

This Volti Audio room was mesmerizing, with its tremendous imaging and dynamics.
DSC_0340 by MDTshots, on Flickr

Pi Speakers had a great rock video playing.
DSC_0339 by MDTshots, on Flickr

The Selah Audio room, minus the line array speakers that were there on Saturday.
DSC_0337 by MDTshots, on Flickr

As usual, the JWM Acoustics room, IMO, took the prize for most beautiful room.  And the stupendous power and dynamics of the Alyson speakers again did not fail to amaze me.
DSC_0336 by MDTshots, on Flickr

AudioThesis had three rooms, all of which produced beautiful sound, but at different price points.
DSC_0335 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0334 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0333 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0332 by MDTshots, on Flickr

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #51 on: 6 May 2019, 04:37 pm »
I went with a friend and we both felt Danny's room was the best there.  The bass was wonderful - impactful as all heck and yet clear and unbloated.  I have a pair of Danny's dual 12" servo subs and I get nothing like that - guess I need to actually use some of those knobs on the sub amps.  Our only negative thought is that you need a big room for those speakers.  I felt they sounded as good or better than any of the 6 figure speakers I have heard at RMAF.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #52 on: 6 May 2019, 04:41 pm »
My friend and I both also agreed that the best sounding smaller speaker was from Sonner.  I know nada about this company, but the soundstage and clarity were excellent.  Listening to them was just a pleasure - hard to describe, but you immediately know that these are the real deal.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #53 on: 6 May 2019, 05:00 pm »
I just returned home from Dallas and want to thank everyone for making the show a success. It was great to see some familiar faces and meet new people as well. Kudos to Steve, Wayne, and everyone else who helped put together the LSAF!

RandyH

« Reply #54 on: 6 May 2019, 10:09 pm »
I went with a friend on Friday.  It was a good day for listening because it was not very crowded.  Met some friendly folks and heard a lot of great sound systems.  I have to agree with the previous poster regarding the Sonner monitors.  Spectacular!  Two of my favorite rooms was Sonner and Volti.  These two speakers systems couldn't be more different in design and size but both were absolutely captivating.  My other favorite was the GR Research system; yet again a completely different topology but a very special sound. 

displayname

« Reply #55 on: 7 May 2019, 07:56 pm »
This was my first year attending, and I was only able to make it out on Saturday. So glad I went though, and I will make a stronger effort to go from multiple days next year. I had a ton of fun, met some great people, and heard some amazing systems. If only it was possible to do this all the time!

Norman Tracy

« Reply #57 on: 2 Sep 2019, 08:11 pm »
My Positive Feedback LSAF 2019 show report has been published.

https://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/lone-star-audio-fest-2019/

Enjoy!