AKSA 55N+ Parts

IMS

AKSA 55N+ Parts
« on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:10 pm »
I had the post labeled AKSA or Lifeforce, and decided on the 55, since this is my first project.  So I chickened out on the Lifeforce.  I'm in the process of getting my other parts, and have a couple of questions. 

I am in the US, Nevada.

Transformer - I found a 150va 2x24.6v at Toroid.com.  Would this be a good choice, or other recommendations?

Case - I'm looking at the Par-Metal.com 20 series.  I can get 4" or 5" height.  I think 4" is fine, but want to make sure.

Also, any other recommendations for other parts.

Thanks,

Greg

whubbard

Re: AKSA 55N+ Parts
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2009, 09:46 pm »
Hi Greg,

I personally went with the lifeforce, but its not that different of a beast. 4" Should be plenty. The heatsink itself is only about 3", and the toroid you picked is only 2". Your covered.

For the Toroid I went with a Plitron, but the one you picked should be okay. However, I should point out Hugh thinks it should be atleast 160VA, so you might want to get one a little bit bigger.

Plitron does have some 160VA or 225VA, but I believe they are a bit more expensive. Luckily the US dollar vs. the Canadian Dollar is doing well. (By the way, if you do get it from Plitron, you might want to check the Forex quote when you buy and compare it to what they quote you. I saved myself a bit by doing that.)

-West

IMS

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2009, 09:58 pm »
West,

That's what I was afraid of re the transformer.  I tried to order from Plitron, but they require a min order of $250cd.  I also found an Avel for that size, but have had no luck finding a place to purchase it.  The closest was Part Express, and it was 250VA.  I don't know if that will work.  I read on some of the posts where performance might be affected.  I would appreciate any other suggestions

Greg

stvnharr

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2009, 10:04 pm »
I had the post labeled AKSA or Lifeforce, and decided on the 55, since this is my first project.  So I chickened out on the Lifeforce.  I'm in the process of getting my other parts, and have a couple of questions. 

I am in the US, Nevada.

Transformer - I found a 150va 2x24.6v at Toroid.com.  Would this be a good choice, or other recommendations?

Case - I'm looking at the Par-Metal.com 20 series.  I can get 4" or 5" height.  I think 4" is fine, but want to make sure.

Also, any other recommendations for other parts.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,
Any 2U size case (3.5" height) is high enough for everything.
Been a long time since I bought trannies, but if Hugh recommends 160VA then go with that.  I think I last bought from Avel Lindberg direct.  I think Parts Express now carries some of them, otherwise you can just email direct to Avel Lindberg as I did.  Toroid.com should be fine.  Specification is a lot more critical than brand I think.

Steve

IMS

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2009, 08:56 pm »
Thanks Steve,

I was finally able to contact Avel directly.  They have the exact requirements.  I also ordered my case.  Now it just a matter of waiting.

Greg

andyr

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2009, 01:25 am »

I had the post labeled AKSA or Lifeforce, and decided on the 55, since this is my first project.  So I chickened out on the Lifeforce.

Greg

While I myself upgraded from AKSA N+s to Lifeforces about a year ago (because I wanted the increased resolution), some people actually prefer the "slightly tubey" sound of the N+ circuit in comparison to the LF circuit.   :D

Not "a" transformer - you need 2 (each channel has its own power supply).   :o

Regards,

Andy

IMS

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2009, 02:09 am »
Hi Andy,

Bad grammar on my part.  I ordered two from Avel.

Since I've never heard the LF, I'll have to see how it sounds compared to my Yammy.  After that I'll have to see where that takes me...$$$

Greg

andyr

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2009, 02:13 am »
Hi Andy,

Since I've never heard the LF, I'll have to see how it sounds compared to my Yammy.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Please do post when you've listened to your new 55N+ for 100 hours.  :D  All I can say is ... an AKSA 55 (not even the N+ version  :D ) crapped all over my old Naim 250 when I took it over to Hugh's for a comparison in 2002, so it will be interesting to see how your Yamaha fares.

Good luck with the build.

Andy

IMS

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2009, 06:51 pm »
Hello,

I know Hugh is traveling and hope he's having a good time.  I’d like to review what I’ve ordered.

(1)   Par-Metal case 16x16x4
(2)   Avel Lindberg xformers 160VA 2x25
(1)   DPDT rocker switch
(4)  binding posts (2 sets)
(1)  IEC power cord

I already have the rca connectors, and IEC power entry module.

Should I get a fuse for the main switch?  LED for the front?

Anything else???

Thanks for all your help.

Greg

andyr

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2009, 07:01 pm »

Should I get a fuse for the main switch?  LED for the front?

Thanks for all your help.

Greg

Yes!  :D  IMO a fuse is essential.

LEDs are very useful (I have 2 ... red for the the '+ve' rail and yellow for the '-ve' rail.)

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2009, 01:48 am »
Hi Greg,

You have it all 100% right!!

Should work very well........

Happy New Year from Semarang, Indonesia!

Cheers,

Hugh

IMS

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2009, 02:29 am »
Howdy Hugh,

Man, I would love to visit that part of the world someday.

Good to know I'm getting there, now for the waiting...

Greg

IMS

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2009, 01:54 am »
Ok, I finally got all the parts, except for the binding posts I ordered made for speakers, not a chassis...aargh.  My wife would say "typical male", which translates to dumbass.

I've got everything figured out, but the ac is confusing, ie the transformers.  I understand the outputs to the ps, but I'm not sure about the ac in.  Does anyone have a simple diagram?

Also, I've also looked at the gallery for layout, and there are several versions.   Any preference?

I'm looking through the threads, but appreciate any help.

Greg

AKSA

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2009, 03:38 pm »
Greg,
There should be two pairs of windings for the primary on a universal, world voltage trafo.  Each pair is one winding for 110-120Vac, so both windings can be put in paralled by attaching the like ends together, then applying AC mains to the two opposing, pig tailed windings.  They would connect in series for European/Asian/Oz mains, but you don't need to worry about that!!

Presently in Singapore, awaiting connecting flight to Melbourne, enjoying the free internet connection this magnificent airport offers all travellers!!

Hugh

IMS

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2009, 01:12 am »
Thanks Hugh, it sounds like your trip is awesome.  I know you will be back in a couple of days, so I'll wait until then for a few more questions.  I have to wait for the right binding posts anyway.

Greg