Outputs on my Transendence 7 preamp

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:07 pm »
Frank,

I might be in the situation in which I want to passively bi-amp my speakers and use a sub.

To do this, I can use the two outputs on the preamp to feed the amps.  

The question I have is:

Can I use the tape output to feed a crossover for the sub?

How will this sound compared to using one of the regular outs?

Thanks,

GW

avahifi_lj

« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2003, 06:40 pm »
Hi:

The line out jacks (two sets) are gain jacks that are varied with the volume control.  The tape out jacks are a direct link to the input source and have no gain on them.  In other words, the output at the tape out jack is exactly the same as the input source and do not vary with the volume control setting.

Note:  If you have the optional OmegaStar tape buffer installed the input source is fed through the buffer to isolate the input from the tape out jacks.  I recommend this option as it prevents loading down the input by any device connected to the tape output jacks.  The buffer is unity gain so there is no additional gain from the circuit.

If you need a third set of line out jacks we could provide them on the jacks used for the tape out.  Naturally you would only want to do that if you don't plan on using any type of recording device (tape, CD, etc.) with the preamp as you would loose the record and tape monitor features.  Another option would be to use a simple "Y" cable to provide two outputs from one of the line out jacks.

Thanks for your interest in AVA products!

Larry