Small Green Computer (SGC) i5 server

TomS

Re: Small Green Computer (SGC) i5 server
« Reply #20 on: 28 Dec 2018, 01:25 pm »
Just a side note about various comments about DSD. The entire DSJ internal architecture is already DSD, so regardless of what is fed to the inputs, DSJ converts the signal to DSD for internal processing with a "standard" DSD low pass filter at the output.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: 28 Dec 2018, 06:22 pm »
Answer: ignorance, wanting a super simple system, and being a 'certified' computer dummy (so I have no idea how to setup/maintain a NAS).  I thought the ethernet input/streaming function built into the DSJ would provide SQ improvements with a 'plain' server.  Now I'm confused at all the options and reviews out there.
Understood. I just reread your original post. Since you heard no difference between the server vs the Mac over usb, it's probably not going to be worth spending more money on high end computer audio. The gains made for the things you listen for will probably be minimal. It also sounds like you only have a wireless network point in the audio room? You would need a hard wired connection for the DS Jr to attach to the network.

The original way you started, Macbook to DS Jr via usb may continue to be your best option for ripped files, and perhaps something like the Node could be used for streaming content.

It's been my experience that many of the audible differences and "improvements" in SQ offered by upgrading servers, renderers, and network audio are much the same as say those obtained by upgrading to NOS tubes, vibration control, or careful selection of cables. That is, more open vivid imaging, blacker background, and more tactile engagement.  I've read enough of your posts here to know you aren't a big fan of that part of the hobby. No flames.  You're what I'd call a meat and potato Audiophile. Cooked properly, it's a great experience, and there's no Salmon foam.  :D

Happy to discuss it further via pm if you're interested.  This is a review thread after all.

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:54 pm »

I'll keep an eye open for my ideal solution

Have you seen the Nativ Vita Music Server? It looks like it is perfect for what you want to do but...
Wait a while, early user reviews are mixed even though the reviews on the Nativ Vita site are glowing.
https://www.nativsound.com/en/music-server

1 box with touch screen, hi-rez, streaming, wi-fi connections, remote apps, voice control (Nativ: play Beyoncé).

Plenty of connection options too

6moons has a preliminary review:
https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/nativ/1.html

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 28 Dec 2018, 09:48 pm »
Just a side note about various comments about DSD. The entire DSJ internal architecture is already DSD, so regardless of what is fed to the inputs, DSJ converts the signal to DSD for internal processing with a "standard" DSD low pass filter at the output.

Great point Tom, yes the DS series of dacs converts it all to DSDX20 I think. Of note, I just landed in Orlando for a 4 day R&R with family. Sorry! Off topic!

Best,
Anand.