USB to S/PDIF coaxial converters for recording

Bob Track

« on: 14 Nov 2005, 04:47 pm »
I was wondering if I can use the USB converter in reverse, for recording from my ADC too the converter box into my laptop via the USB connector and if this is not possible can one be modded to do so
Thanks

audioengr

Re: USB to S/PDIF coaxial converters for recording
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2005, 07:19 pm »
Quote from: Bob Track
I was wondering if I can use the USB converter in reverse, for recording from my ADC too the converter box into my laptop via the USB connector and if this is not possible can one be modded to do so
Thanks

The Transit has capabilities in both directions, so it's possible.  I can custom mod one for you that does A/D rather than digital out.  the cost would be about the same as for an Off-Ramp Turbo.

Steve N.

Bob Track

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2005, 08:07 pm »
Would there be any latency problems with the USB interface

tyee

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2005, 04:35 pm »
Hi Steve
    I'm considering the M-audio Transit to convert my Laserdisc collection to DVD. I want to grab the Digital audio (ac3 and/or dts) off the LD and record it to hard drive. A thread on videohelp tells how to do this thru spdif. The only requirement is that the soundcard, or the Transit, in this case, must not resample the spdif input for true bit-perfect capture. A lot of sound blaster cards do resample to 48khz, which is no good if the input is 44.1khz.

Do you know 100% if the 'Transit' provides no resample in the digital input? I called their tech support yesterday and they said the device is a pro quality unit and does not resample. Should I believe them??

Thanks
Tony

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2005, 07:09 pm »
Quote from: Bob Track
Would there be any latency problems with the USB interface

No, it has no problems keeping up with 16/44.1

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2005, 07:15 pm »
Quote from: tyee
Hi Steve
    I'm considering the M-audio Transit to convert my Laserdisc collection to DVD. I want to grab the Digital audio (ac3 and/or dts) off the LD and record it to hard drive. A thread on videohelp tells how to do this thru spdif. The only requirement is that the soundcard, or the Transit, in this case, must not resample the spdif input for true bit-perfect capture. A lot of sound blaster cards do resample to 48khz, which is no good if the input is 44.1khz.

Do you know 100% if the 'Transit' provid ...

Transit does not resample.  Here are the specs:

24-bit 2chnl A/D
Fs max: 96kHz
s/(N+D): 90dB
Dynamic range, S/N: 100dB
up to +18dB gain with .5dB per step

Pro quality means nothing.  It's the sound that counts.  Toslink input is not a good thing, so I would recommend changing this to coax.

Steve N.