Opinions on the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II?

Snorf

Re: Opinions on the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Apr 2022, 12:53 am »
Hello, I know this is a really old topic.  However I recently purchased a Cronus Magnum 3 to use for a while.  I was wondering if all the same tube recommendations that I have read from people who have posted here in this thread and in other threads on the Audiocircle and elsewhere are still the way to go.

Those Mullar M10's are really pricey but I have read about Radiotechnique/Mullard 12AU7WA that are supposed to be favourites and GE Long Plates for the 12AX7.

Also some comments about KT66's as well.

If anybody has any additional opinions or findings I would love to hear about it.  I will be trying some RCA Clear Tops as well for the 12AU7's and of course JJ's.

Thanks for any insider tips.

Snorf

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 10 Apr 2022, 05:24 pm »
In my limited experiênce with the KT66 its a great sound tube, very linear what are important for áudio.
Guitarist hate this tube as it dont over drive on the amp.

Snorf

« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2022, 06:18 pm »
Well my set of KT66's are coming this next week so I will find out.

So far I have just replaced the KT120's with fresh ones and it is much better.

I have put 2 - RCA Clear Tops 12AU7A's in for the Drive tubes (not sure if they are making a difference)

I have tried an RCA Clear Top for the Pre spot and it was a huge improvement over the stock JJ, and have also now put a Radiotechnique in there and it is better yet.

I still have the JJ's in at the Phase location.

I have more tubes coming for the Phase and Drive spots hopefully this next week as well.  This tube rolling while expensive sure is fun when the sound just gets way better instantly.

Snorf

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2022, 07:28 pm »
Its know that input tubes make more difference than the power tubes and cheap er.

Snorf

« Reply #24 on: 10 Apr 2022, 08:04 pm »
Yes, I am going to replace them all from the stock and hopefully be able to roll a few different ones in to see what it all sounds like.

If I am lucky @rpf might chime in with some words of wisdom.  RPF's original posts here and on Audiogon are the ones that got me interested in the tubes I am ordering for the CM3.  There seemed to be a lot of knowledge there that hopefully might make its way to my ears.

Snorf

sunnydaze

« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2022, 08:27 pm »
Yes, I am going to replace them all from the stock and hopefully be able to roll a few different ones in to see what it all sounds like.

If I am lucky @rpf might chime in with some words of wisdom.  RPF's original posts here and on Audiogon are the ones that got me interested in the tubes I am ordering for the CM3.  There seemed to be a lot of knowledge there that hopefully might make its way to my ears.

Snorf

Rob (rpf) is an experienced hobbiest who knows his stuff.  I've sat in front of his rig many times.  He's owned his Rogue Cronus integrated for many years, and rolled many tubes.  Search on "rogue cronus" for user rpf to get his relevant tube rolling posts.  Do the same over at AudioNervosa as he posts there as well.

Snorf

« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2022, 08:42 pm »
Hey thank you!  I have searched and read a bunch of them.  They are the reason I picked up the CM3.  Most of the posts are fairly old (5+ years) I was hoping he would see this and chime in with his best of the best and final picks for tubes.  :)

Snorf

bacobits1

« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2022, 07:13 pm »
I have had the Cronus Mag II for almost 4 years now. Excellent!

Cryo Tungsol KT120, Upscale audio, Kevin has them, last I checked. I have extra sets now.
Prices are getting very stupid high I have seen a quad for $400+ as high as $1K. Stay away from these rip off dealers. I think that was Viva tubes.

What I use is a little different but very satisfying. I know Mark O'Brien from Rogue likes Telefunken in this Amp
left and right front RCA 5963 (1957 computer tubes) center Telefunken NOS Ribbed plate 12AU7/ ECC82
Front Telefunken NOS ribbed plate 12AX7. I think they are labeled "Fisher" 60's?
Brent Jessy has these tubes all tested. Not cheap.

Same combo as above but just substituting the (top middle) with these.
Also Tungsram NOS ECC82/12AU7 must have a number tab inside the strut to top getter.
There are Funkworks relabeled Tungsram out there. No number tab. You need to watch everything even at dealers I have found this.

RCA Clear top 12Au7 a bit bright sounding but nice depending on front end and speakers
NOS Mullard CV4003 to dull soft sounding here and expensive.
Genalex Gold Lion B749/ECC82/12AU7 gold pin reissues, very nice, But Russian may be hard to get now $50 each

All this to your taste, speakers, front end equipment choices etc. etc.