Recommendation needed for amp

whodiini

Recommendation needed for amp
« on: 31 Mar 2024, 01:44 am »
I have tried many different Nuprime Amps.  Currently using MCX-2.  My favorite was the IDA-8, except it wasnt sufficiently dynamic/powerful.  I tried the ST-10 and found it was too grating on pop music.  Very transparent on classical.  Tried STA-9, was too flabby for me.  Did not like it at all.  Tried the MCX-2 and sounded like an IDA-8 with more power.  Been using it since it came out.  I see all these new Nuprime amps and wanted to know which ones sound like the IDA-8 on steroids?  Read reviews of the AMG STA and wondering if it is the STA amps on steroids.  Worried if it sounds like the STA series which too me was the least favorite of my Nuprime amps.  Then there is is AMG One, which is supposed to sound like the Evo 2. So which would you recommend - the AMG one, the AMG STA or just keep my MCX-2?  Thanks

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Recommendation needed for amp
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2024, 02:28 am »
Hi, whodiini.

You and I have the same experience of loving the IDA-8 sound, but wanting a more power powerful amplifier. [I had hoped Nuprime would come out with an IDA-8 version 2 with approximately 200 watts/channel.] I tried the ST-10 and IDA-16, and noticed the same thing you did about the ST-10's sound, so I sold them. I haven't tried the MCX amps, but I have wondered about them. When Nuprime announced the Evo STA stereo amp, I took a chance <not cheap> and ordered it. While I can't say it sounds like the IDA-8, it does sound absolutely wonderful. I've combined it with the DAC-9x (and a couple other brands of DACs), and I'm very pleased with the combined sound. This combination gives me plenty of power, but also the tube-like warmth that I enjoy so much.

I have not tried the other amps you mentioned, but I got to hear two Nuprime STA-9x amps (used in the mono amp configuration) combined with a DAC-9x powering $25,000 speakers at an audio show. [Yeah. The combination sounded amazing.]

[Edit] I almost forgot to mention that I bought an Omnia A300 (150w/ch) a while back. I needed a lightweight, small form factor all-in-one amp with streaming capabilities primarily for desktop duty. I'm using it now for headphone duty, but I'll eventually hook up small speakers. While it does not sound like the IDA-8, it's decent sounding enough that I don't feel a need to replace it with anything else.

If you try the AMG or other amps, please come back here to post your findings. Even though I don't actually need another amp, I still find myself looking at other Nuprime amps wondering how they might sound in my house....(addicted....)  :popcorn:

Michael

whodiini

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2024, 07:22 pm »
Thanks for your response.  The MCX sound very much like the IDA-8.  Even with all that power, it is still not as dynamic as I would like.  If I could improve on my sound, I would take as the IDA-8 as a reference since we both know how it sounds, more dynamics, and more high end extension.  I am fine with the IDA-8 midrange. The MCX has more power, which translates to a bit more dynamics, but I would prefer more.  I also have tube amps and those are very dynamic.  Tube amps dont have the high end extension and sound rolled off to me. Yes, evo STA are $$, so wanted to have something cheaper. I wonder if anyone who owns the AMG STA or AMG One could comment

whodiini

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2024, 04:13 am »
To follow up, my system consists of streamers (testing several) to my Schiit Yggdrasil OG DAC with latest USB input, to a Schiit preamp Freya S, to my amps (currently MCX-2) to my speakers (Goldenear Triton 7) and a Vandersteen Sub V2W.  The streamers I have been testing are 1) W4S modded 96Khz SONOS Port 2) Eversolo DMP A6 and 3) Innuos Pulse mini. They all sound different.  My main system has other amps (mainly tubes) that I rotate in and out on occasion into this system. But for everyday listening, I use this system as it is easy to use and sounds decent. So far, the Yggy has lasted the longest in my system, along with the Goldenear speakers.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2024, 04:59 pm »
 :lol:  We made several different amps so that customers can stay in the Nuprime family  :thumb:
The new MCX-3X and MCX-4X are coming out in May. 
In general, the choice is simpler the higher end the system goes: Evo One, Evo STA
It is in the entry and mid level where compromises are made not just for amps but DAC and speakers.
I think the entry to mid level "9" series have settled down with 9X.
AMG STA was made for people who are into smooth and softer music such as vocal.  We realised that the mid level AMG series need something more neutral, so AMG One was created out of Evo One.  Other than the AMG STA, the mid to top level are based on the same design: Evo STA (dual mono) -> Evo One/AMG One (full mono)

But let me check with our chief engineer for the best pick one up from IDA-8. 

whodiini

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2024, 05:44 pm »
Thanks.  While you are at it, ask him which one has the closest front end sound to the IDA-8, the AMG one or AMG STA.  I noticed the AMG STA has 1 MOhm input, and discrete class A stage while the AMG One uses a Muse Op amp and has nominal input impedance.  The IDA-8 and MCX-2 have the same front end - discrete class A.

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2024, 02:38 am »
I have an AMG STA but no experience with other NuPrime amps to offer any comparisons.  I’m still acclimating to the AMG STA but I do agree with Jason’s characterization.
 I typically listen at fairly low volume so I don’t expect much in the way of dynamics.  I am satisfied with overall sound at any volume and especially like what I’m hearing in vocal richness / harmonics.  I’m sensitive to anything leaning bright and find the STA is relatively to listen to.  The system still leans a bit on the bright side but I think I may be hearing the Schiit Lyr+ and Bifrost.  Long term I think I still aspire to the EVO STA.