Who are the best manufacturers of high efficiency speaker designs?

schw06

I was set to buy a pair of Zu speakers during their holiday sale and just found out they are completely changing their line of speakers so the current line will be yesterdays news in the upcoming year. Looking for high efficiency designs, what are some comparable options under $5000? Amplification is Red Wine 30.2 in a 17x24 room.

sts9fan

Is yesterdays news bad?  Just because somehting is replaced does not make it any worse. 

schw06

You're right...it doesn't change how good the speaker designs are. Ultimately I may end up buying Zu but it would be great to find some designs that stand the test of time.

jrebman

Dave,

What are your musical and sonic preferences, is the room acoustically live, neutral, or dead?

There are so many choices, it's hard to make any specific recommendations.

Right off the top of my head, some builders that come to mind are:

Cain and Cain
The Horn Shoppe
Carolina Audio
Omega
WLM
Gregoire
Terrasonics
Maxhorn
or one of the semi-custom builders like Planet 10 or Bob Brines.

I'm sure there are others, and some of these like the RL Acoustique Lamhorns are out of your targeted price range.

However, a super efficient design will also allow for the future possibility of some magical SET sound, should you decide to add that at some point (which is not meant as any kind of comment vis a vis the 30.2), which I love too.)

-- Jim

Wind Chaser

What is your idea (spec wise) of high efficiency?

schw06

Jim,
   I mainly listen to rock but have a wide range of musical interests that I am hoping not to alienate with a articular speaker design. I've owned the hornshoppe horns and they are an absolute steal from a great guy but I couldn't quite get enough bass impact even with the cube. However, I enjoyed the sound of them so much it has brought me back to looking for more of a statement pair of high efficiency (possibly single driver)speakers. Thank you for the advice!

schw06

My idea of high efficiency is simply a pair I can get to 100db with my 30 ss watt amp. It doesn't have to be something that can be driven by 1 watt.

Wind Chaser

My idea of high efficiency is simply a pair I can get to 100db with my 30 ss watt amp.

That pretty much opens up a lot of possibility as any speaker that will produce 90db @ 1 watt will give you 105 db peaks with 30 watts.  Many speakers will experience dynamic compression at that point.

jrebman

Dave,

A pair of Ed's model 3s and a pair of Cubes and the RWA 30, and you'll be able to rock an auditorium :D.

Just razzin' you as I'm sure you know they exist, but if rock's the main thing, damn, I'd be thinking hard about them.  In fact,I almost bought a pair but after talking with Ed, it was pretty clear that they'd be too much in this small room, with very little in the way of placement options.

-- Jim

Alwayswantmore

Omega offers a full-line of single drivers. All hempcone. Some with alnico magnets. Minimum efficiency is 93dB. Max is 96. He also offers two DeepHemp subs. The less expensive is actually punchier than the bigger unit, and said to do a great job with Rock.

Virtually the entire line has been reworked over the past 12 months, so it is all new. He also has some old stock and demos not advertised on his site if you're looking for a deal.

Louis at Omega is a fan of Rock, and many of his customers are also rockers.

You best bet is to call him if you are interested.

Kent

BTW: I own a Sig 30.2, and have owned two Omega models (previously Compact Hemps, now Super 6 Alnico Monitors and one DeepHemp sub). As long as you add one or two subs, I think there are a number of Omega speakers to choose from in your budget. At 93-96dB, and 30 watts of RWA tripath, your house should shake (...I had to modify a florescent light fixture in my closet, because the speakers made the fixture buzz when playing loud, like AC/DC or Hendix).

Maximum volume would probably be achieved with one of his 8" Ferrite magnet designs.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi

Kevin Haskins

Edgar Horns!

If you can get your hands on a pair and if your willing to suffer through the divorce they are a great set of high efficiency speakers.

Mariusz

I will 2nd Dave's recommendations.
Speakers I am working on are based on Sachiko design with some modifications tho. (see it in my gallery). Drivers are more or less the same as in CarderSound Madison speakers .......thanks to Dave's assistance and work he put in modifications.

If anyone is interested in auditioning this design with RWA gear........or other amps - SET (Melody 300b monos) or PP (modified Consonance Cyber 800 monos) I will be more then happy to set it up for YOU.

Sensitivity is well in the mid-90db and can be driven with as little as 8wpc ( or less . depends on the size of your room, amount of absorptive materials and pre-gain )

IMHO - these, outperform Zus and other true SD designs which I have heard over the years.
Some costing "gazillions" could project the music or space in the same matter there speakers can.  Bass is quite shocking for single 8" driver and "honky" characteristics are greatly reduced with little tweaking for those with sensitive ears.

Soundstage is huge and they easily disappear within the room.
Transparency is scary.

Pink Floyd "The Wall" is a must hear on these speakers.

chrismercurio

If you are willing to build your own box there is AE Speakers, Great Plains Audio, Earl Geddes Summa kits, PI Speaker Kits....lots of stuff.

Chris

hchilcoat

Don't forget about Duke's Audiokinesis Speakers: Jazz Module and the Dream Maker, both around 92db. I have the Jazz Module and am very happy. Incredible dynamics.

jmpiwonka

i'm real close to building some 4pi but i was wondering about the great plains audio 212-8a, i could build a taller narrower cabinet but it seems nobody knows how nice they sound.

capace

If you want something like zu, but will perform better, and it's on sale try these. Sure you get the high gloss, but they half the price right now! And wow!!! Measures better also

http://www.tektondesign.com/uruz.htm

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
If you're a fan of small ensembles of various genres or the Baroque, google Bob Brines.  Great prices, good workmanship, very solid design, amazing sound, and a wonderful gentleman.  His use of transmission lines pushes deep/fast/solid/musical bass performance out of extended range drivers.