Failed attempt at a DIY isolation platform

Ferdi

« on: 2 Jan 2003, 11:59 pm »
Got some stuff from my local Ikea tonight. I am always on the lookout for silly tweaks and I found a heavy rubberwood choppingblock and some toy rubber balls. One of the ideas I had was to balance the block on the balls and place my CDP on top of it . The balls should then isolate the system from vibration.

Didn't work as my CDP is way too heavy (17kg) and the weight is distributed unevenly or the balls don't have the same airpressure. Anyway, the block/platform sagged quite badly to the left and back. I couldn't leave my CDP sitting there like that as I was afraid it would fall off.

Back to the choppingboard.... :|

Ferdi

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2003, 12:14 am »
Hi Marbles, I have seen or heard of all these options. I could cut up some tennisballs but hoped to a similar result with the balls i got today. Maybe I should try squash-balls?

I will probably buy a a few more of these blocks and use them to build a flexy for my 2nd system. These blocks are impressive as shelves. They are about 5cm/2in thick and weigh about 8kg/20pounds (guess.)

One of these days I have to build a proper rack for my main system as well but the Stratos won't fit on this chopping block. It's 48*36 cm. Plenty for a normal component but not for a stratos that is about 50cm deep with cables.

thanks for the suggestions though. Just thought I'd report on my experience even though it wasn't succesful.

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2003, 02:40 am »
I have a question. . .

With all these devices you are talking about, except the wood one, how does vibration get OUT of the CDP?

Wait. . . Let me answer that for you. . .It DON'T.  

Now, don't you folks think that there is just a tad bit more vibration eminating from inside the player than what is going to "attack" it from the Earth?  That's not even considering acoustical vibration either. . .

You guys are backing up with that squishy crap.

B

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2003, 02:55 am »
Marbles:

I've been there and back.  I know what it does.  I have tried all the squishy stuff, and there is no doubt that it changes the sound.  I am just inviting you to try the non-squishy stuff.  Like wood, or brass.  

But then again, things that make too much sense are never going to work in the audio world. . heh

L8r,

B

Ferdi

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:24 am »
Hi guys, I have tried hard supports earlier: wooden balls (3 of them). I thought I'd try with soft supports for once.

CDP is now sitting on the chopping block without the balls.

Ferdi

JackStraw

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:37 am »
Have you considered the Mapleshade points, or better yet, Darumas? At $99, the Darumas float the player on bearings. Aurios are supposedly another step up, but I haven't heard the comparison.

Lots of people talk about building DIYumas with results equal to Darumas. Anybody have a recipe and photos to post? Another cheap approach that I've heard of is a half-inflated inner tube.

I use a set of Aurios MIB 1.1s under my transport, but only because Audionut.com had a $150 special (reg $299). I'll try the Darumas at some point (also available at Audionut -- I have no affiliation except for my one purchase).

calsaint

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2003, 04:04 pm »
I use a form of DIYuma ..
Bought 3 little jars of baby food as I noticed that the undersides of these jars have a nice shallow curve to them, and I got 3 ball bearings that would fit for the application.
The jars are bottom side up on the shelf of the rack, with the ball bearings dropped in the "cup", and the transport is on the ball bearings.
Make sure the piece of gear that you are looking to put on the DIYuma cannot have some propotionately huge/heavy/stiff power cord hanging off of it ... I had to swap out the cord I was using as it literally was pulling the transport off the bearings.    
I was sceptical, but there is no question that the DIYumas are in to stay. Better sounding this way for sure. A chep tweak worth a shot (advise against tasting the baby food peaches: blech)

Hantra

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2003, 04:33 pm »
I built DIYUmas as well, and they made a nice difference.  Until I got Audiopoints, they were the best I had heard.  You guys should try some Audiopoints, but only if you can ground them to something that will not bounce the vibration back through them into the component.  

B

calsaint

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2003, 08:32 pm »
thanks for the tip Hantra. I always get a kick out of how the sound can be tweaked. I'll look into them ..

Haoleb

great idea
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2003, 08:31 am »
I have invented, well i thought of the design, i dont know if its out there besides similar things from brightstar. but i made a diy isolation device which technically should work wonders! i havent really done any real listening tests with it yet though so i have yet to see if it actually works. It uses a platform, and an air mass to keep vibrations from getting to a cdp or other componet and can support up to around 50 lbs from my tests. I have a page which tells how to make it with some pics if you are intersted.

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/fcai_hifi/pics.html

go check it out and tell me what you think!

andyr

DIY Isolation Platform
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2003, 09:25 am »
Guys, there seem to be 2 things going on here:
1) whether an isolation platform is worth anything or not (as one post commented on the fact that it's the vibration inside a CD player which needs to get out, not so much the stopping of any outside vibrations from getting in).
2) how to build a good one.

Let me answer #2.  I built an isolation platform for my LP12 ... as with vinyl it certainly IS important to stop external vibrations setting your cartridge shimmying!

I have heard that CD players also respond  well to being isolated but, as I only listen to vinyl, I cannot comment any further.

My isolation platform is based on the DIY one described in Steve Rochlin's <ww.enjoythemusic.com>.  However, I modified (improved!!??) the design slightly by using 36 squash balls and a 15kg slab of slate instead of 4 tennis balls and a concrete paver.  All I can say is ... this improved base and definition of my LP12 setup amazingly!

It's a very cheap tweak to try - even for those who don't think an isolation platform will help a CD player.  An 18" square concrete paver can be had from any builder's supply company and 4 tennis balls are not expensive.  If you like what you hear then I suggest squash balls are better because they have "squashier walls" than tennis balls and slate is more inert (in terms of ringing) than concrete ... and also looks nicer!  I have 9 squash balls - which are enclosed inside a square wooden surround - at each corner of the slate slab.  This costs more, because 36 squash balls cost a few bucks ... but ya might be able to get away with 16 squash balls?

Happy listening!

Andy