monarchy audio M24 DAC

pianoguys

monarchy audio M24 DAC
« on: 8 Mar 2023, 02:11 pm »
Hi I am new to AC and was not sure where to post this - but I am considering this DAC (need to seek it out on the used market) and was wondering if anyone had any opinions/experience with this, and how it compares to newer DACs.  A friend strongly recommended this to me, particularly because it does not have op amps.  thank you.   

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
Re: monarchy audio M24 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2023, 06:45 pm »
I owned this DAC years ago and thought it was a decent DAC. It also is a pre-amp and has both SS and tube outputs making it a pretty versatile machine. How it compares to newer DACS I can’t say especially at no given price point. They do come up used from time to time however the ones I have seen listed lately seem over priced to me. I think I paid around $500 used for mine.

Another thing to consider is Mr. Poon has retired so I don’t think factory support is available anymore. 

Good luck and good listening!

navi

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2023, 11:43 pm »
Hi I am new to AC and was not sure where to post this - but I am considering this DAC (need to seek it out on the used market) and was wondering if anyone had any opinions/experience with this, and how it compares to newer DACs.  A friend strongly recommended this to me, particularly because it does not have op amps.  thank you.

PCM63K Multibit DAC + Tube Output stage. I think I might like this.
You won't be able to do high bit rate but it's not a big deal. Prob. won't have the blackest backgrounds and sound as fast/dynamic as new DAC - Some people prefer smooth, warm and tonal depth instead.

Did you end up getting this DAC?

pianoguys

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2023, 06:39 pm »
Yes I did.  I think it sounds great - phenomenally great - but I don't have much to compare it to other than my idsd dac which it bests by a mile. It was recommended to me by a friend who stated that one of the reasons it sounds so good is because it does not use opamps for the output stage.  Regarding the resolution, my understanding is that this is a nos/mutibit dac (the pcm63) and that those only resolve redbook, but everything I have read states that this will do 24/96.  I would like to know how that can be possible with that chip, because I also use this for blu ray movies, which are 24/48.       

navi

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2023, 09:37 pm »
I think you have something great here too.
I remember reading about a DAC comparison which included modifications to a M24 and that it sounded pretty good. It was on StereoNet but I'm not sure what the MODS were.

PCM63 is one of the best R2R chips. High res is overrated.16/44 or 48Khz is more than fine.

lokie

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2023, 02:04 pm »
I owned this piece and thought it sounded excellent and one of the great bang for the buck deals out these.