Finally, I'm finished...

Carlman

Finally, I'm finished...
« on: 14 Jul 2003, 06:22 pm »
I've been putting together the last few pieces of my system together for the past few months.  I've spent some time getting my speakers positioned properly and in phase, levelling the TT, rewiring the amp, etc. as well... but, after it all came together, a friend of mine and myself sat down for about 5 straight hours listening to several CD's and records.  I have come to the conclusion that I am extremely happy that I've met my goals with my system.  The goals of highly detailed, convincing sound without losing a sense of musicality.  The TT seems to be better at capturing the musicality; it seems to do a slightly better job at capturing the 'musical portrait' of a song.  The CD player does a better job at reproducing sounds.

Here's what I had:
AKSA 100N (mish-mash of internal wiring)
AI 2-d pre
Arcam Alpha 8 CD transport
Museatex Bitstream
Sony 600 TT (w/ Kimber KC-1)
Beldenators amp/pre and CD/pre
Illuminati DV-30 digital cable
Canare 4S11 Speaker cable (.40/foot)
Revel F30's, single wired, then biwired, no differences noted.

Now:
AKSA 100n w/ Auric internal wiring
AI 2-d pre
Pioneer DV-656A w/ Dan Wright level 1 and bybee on the dig out
Museatex Bitstream, modded to Data 2 by John Wright
Sony 600 TT (w/ Kimber KC-1)
Audience Conductor IC's amp/pre and CD/pre, and digital cable
Audience Conductor bi-wire speaker cable
Revel F30's

OK, so, it's a little tough to pinpoint 1 thing at a time but, overall I will say this: I'm blown away.  The Audience Conductor cables sound like nothing.  Music is simply effortlessly provided without any signs of constraint or coloration.  Imaging is incredible.... and is 'as recorded'... This is fantastic since the AKSA is very good at getting out of its own way as well and has no coloration either.

The transport/DAC combo... The transport lifts every little detail off the disk.  There were several details I hadn't heard before that were readily apparent after the modification.  I can hear the little saliva noise made by the singers mouth when they open it to sing a note...  Attack is a little more 'snappy' as well.  Overall, the sound is more disected.  Every part of the recording is revealed.

I have 2 records and 2 CD's I used to compare the musical nature of the TT and the digital rig.  (Pearl Jam, No Code; Coltrane's Blue Note album)  When switching between them, the differences were the traditional differences of digital vs. TT.  The TT gave a more musical presentation while the CD provided a more accurate reproduction of the individual instruments.  My friend claimed that the TT sounded MUCH better than the CD but, that's his preference.  I liked both for different reasons.  However, the turntable did sound better to me for Coltrane.  For Pearl Jam I could go either way.  I'm using a 15-year-old Adcom cartridge so, changing that may change my mind about that.

Well, I know this isn't much of a detailed review but, one thing is for sure: Audience Conductor rules.  If their Au24 is even better, I think I'd fall over.  The transport mods are great as well but, I need more time to compare before I can really say whether it bests a new $500+ transport.

Thanks for letting me share my joy.  I'm extremely happy with the results.

-Carl

Hantra

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2003, 06:28 pm »
Haha!!!

Me too. . .

There is a common denominator in our systems, and it is interesting that we are both "finished" at the same time. .

hmm. . .

B

JoshK

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2003, 06:40 pm »
You silly audiophile!  Don't you know that you are never finished?!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Brad V

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2003, 06:45 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Haha!!!

Me too. . .

There is a common denominator in our systems, and it is interesting that we are both "finished" at the same time. .

hmm. . .

B

The Audience cables are definitely the real deal. I've had the AU24's in my system since last week and they are wonderul.

Thanks Hantra, for turning me onto them.

Have a great day,

Brad

Carlman

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2003, 09:54 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
You silly audiophile!  Don't you know that you are never finished?!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You are correct... and I've told myself the same thing many times..... However, the core system is there.  I am 100% satisfied with the sound quality.  The only way I'd change something is if it broke or Hantra made me a believer of the Scott Nixon DAC.  

Also, at 15 years old, the cartridge on my TT will probably get changed.  But, no new gear.  

I've heard many systems but, none better (to my ears) than my own.  That's how I know I'm done.

JoshK

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2003, 10:28 pm »
Well good, enjoy Carlman cause that is what it is about!

Hantra

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2003, 10:49 pm »
The only way I'd change something is if it broke or Hantra made me a believer of the Scott Nixon DAC.

You will believe man. . . All of you will believe!    :evil:

Actually, I can pack my whole system up and bring it down.  The little monoblocks are nothing to unhook, and tote. . .   I'll be reviewing those soon. .

B

Rocket

enjoy
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2003, 05:19 am »
hi carlman,

nice to hear that you have finished with your system.  i still have a few things left to do but the basics are done.

happy listening.

regards

rocket

HChi

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2003, 02:09 am »
Congrat!  At least you reach an euphonic closure (temporarily).  :)   I am particular interested in your use of Canare 4s11 with Revel F30, especially hearing the report of no difference b/w single and bi-wire.   I have read a quite a few user feedback in an Asian Audiophile forum of using 4 runs of Canare 4s14F and 4s12F (2 runs for each shotgun wire).  Users report more stable and defined sounstage with such wiring.   It also enhances the bass response quite a bit as some users thought the bass of Canare 4s14F, 4s12F, and  4s11 are a bit shy/weak (comparing to a user's Swiss Acustik cable).   Assuming you DIY your own cables and it's only .40/ft, it may be worth awhile to try in the future.  Just my 2 cents and hopefully it may help take the sound up another notch without causing a huge dent on your wallet!  Now it is time to break out all the favorite CD's again and enjoy this new music utopia!!

Carlman

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2003, 08:53 pm »
Quote from: HChi
I am particular interested in your use of Canare 4s11 with Revel F30, especially hearing the report of no difference b/w single and bi-wire.   ...

The Canare was an interesting experiment.  I was only using single runs. (1 cable w/ 4leads per speaker)  

I had a B&K ST-140 amp.  With the 4s11, the Revels seemed a tad bit more lively and the pace of the music was better than my previous cable, Kimber 4TC.  However, when I built the AKSA, the 4s11 seemed to jarble the frequency delivery.  It was like there was some clashing or upper frequency harmonics that sounded bright or blaring...   When I put the Kimber back onto the speaker, the sound was good but, I didn't have the ST-140 to compare back to back what was happening at this point.

I sold the Kimber to try the Audience Conductor.  In the meantime, I put the Canare back onto the speakers.  I noticed an immediate loss of upper and lower extension.  I tried biwiring, (using the 4 leads) and the sound did not change at all (to my ears).  I didn't expect it to so, I wasn't surprised.  I don't even know if this is considered 'biwiring' since I only ran one cable to each speaker but, I wasn't impressed with the Canare.

My conclusion was that I think the amp/speaker wire match is more important than the speaker/speaker wire match.  I also learned that Audience cable is very good and will stay in my system for a long time.

witchdoctor

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2003, 01:46 pm »
Have you treated your room?

Carlman

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2003, 01:49 pm »
Not yet... I moved into a new house last month and just got the speaker positioning finalized 2 nights ago.  Room treatments (crown molding based on 8th Nerve's product) will be up within a month or 2... if all goes well.

Xi-Trum

Finally, I'm finished...
« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2003, 05:44 pm »
witchdoctor beat me to it.  You're not finished until you deal with the last and perhaps most important component... your room.   :mrgreen: