75 ohm cables being used for analalog

bunkertoy

75 ohm cables being used for analalog
« on: 20 Aug 2023, 12:56 pm »
Hi all,
Apologies if this might sound like a dumb question.
I just bought some used Bryston RCA Interconnects. They appear to be 2, 75 ohm cables. I found out after purchasing them that the seller was using them in his Bryston BP26da, which makes sense as he probably needed the 75 ohms for the digital signal.

I was hoping to apply the cable to my analog system. Probably connecting from VTL tube pre amp to my Bryston 3B3 amp.
From searching this does not seem to be an issue. Just wanted to ask the audio purist out there, is this a no no or makes no diff whatsoever.
Seems like they will work and I won't notice.

Love to hear your thoughts.

bunkertoy

Re: 75 ohm cables being used for analalog
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2023, 02:55 pm »
I found an old post where James indicated the RCA interconnect cables they used to use were Canare (75ohm).
I'm guessing I was over thinking the cable.
Sorry for the dumb inquiry.
Cheers

Re: Bryston Cables - how can you tell they are authentic?
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2008, 12:03 pm »
Hi All,

Yes we use Van damme for speaker cable (9.5) gauge. And we use Canare (75ohm) for RCA interconnect and Van damme low noise microphone cable for XLR. The RCA and XLR connectors we use though are specially ordered. The RCA connector is heavily GOLD plated (including the internal spring) and breaks and makes ground first and last when you plug and unplug to prevent pops and noise. The XLR connector is gold plated as well (so are the ones on the amplifiers) to ensure that no corrosion or rectification goes on over time.

That being said we are always experimenting and testing cables as we go so the cables have changed over the years.  Our philosophy with cables is quite simple - "the best cable is no cable at all " - so we look for the cable that 'changes the signal the least".  Then we listen to it in a variety of our demo systems and decide if a change is needed.  So far we have been happy with the cables we now use but the search continues.

Again we never intended to get into the cable business. Customers would call and ask what we were using in our studio setups or just because they were tired and confused with all the 'cable marketing at the expense of scientific marketing' going on in the cable industry. So we just decided to offer to our customers the current cables we were using in our professional setups.

I like the idea of labelling the cables left and right but with so many people using cables in a surround setup its hard to know where the left/right cables will eventually be used.

james