Measurements and Sound Quality

goryu

• Restricted
Re: Measurements and Sound Quality
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2022, 12:31 am »

Engineers have been doing this with audio for many years.  Rob Watts of Chord used this method to generate and modify the algorithms to get them to sound as good (subjective) as possible.  If one watches the YouTube video on the DAC Master Design class, he explains how adjusting the noise floor downwards throughout the spectrum improved the sound from the DAC setup.  (Objective measurements validate subjective performance).  This is just one example of correlating measurements to sound quality.

So he has tuned the sound to his personal preferences. There is no validation in the main and again, no true correlation.

Freo-1

« Reply #21 on: 6 Feb 2022, 02:48 am »
So he has tuned the sound to his personal preferences. There is no validation in the main and again, no true correlation.

Rob Watts used mathematics to construct the filters, not personal preferences.    Based on the assertions above, then all designers used personal preferences for their designs.

Virtually all white papers written by the engineers point out the sonic benefits of their designs,  and support their arguments via use of both listening and measurements.  Some are VERY obvious,  while others are less so. 

Remember this: If it measured good and sounds bad, it is bad.  If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 6 Feb 2022, 03:03 am »

Rob Watts used mathematics to construct the filters, not personal preferences.    Based on the assertions above, then all designers used personal preferences for their designs.

Virtually all white papers written by the engineers point out the sonic benefits of their designs,  and support their arguments via use of both listening and measurements.  Some are VERY obvious,  while others are less so. 

Remember this: If it measured good and sounds bad, it is bad.  If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.

You said: "Rob Watts of Chord used this method to generate and modify the algorithms to get them to sound as good (subjective) as possible."

He used mathematics to generate the base filters and his own personal preferences to get them to "sound as good (subjective) as possible." So he tweaked the things to his own personal interpretation of what "sounded best". Doesn't mean his tweaks would "sound as good as possible" to me. I, or anyone else, might prefer something different. There might be a segment that would prefer he just go with what the math and measurements indicate has the lowest distortion added to the signal.

If it measures good and sounds bad, it's not bad in any absolute sense, except for you. If it measures bad and sounds good, you just prefer the distortion spectrum to a clean signal.

Freo-1

« Reply #23 on: 6 Feb 2022, 03:39 am »
You said: "Rob Watts of Chord used this method to generate and modify the algorithms to get them to sound as good (subjective) as possible."

He used mathematics to generate the base filters and his own personal preferences to get them to "sound as good (subjective) as possible." So he tweaked the things to his own personal interpretation of what "sounded best". Doesn't mean his tweaks would "sound as good as possible" to me. I, or anyone else, might prefer something different. There might be a segment that would prefer he just go with what the math and measurements indicate has the lowest distortion added to the signal.

If it measures good and sounds bad, it's not bad in any absolute sense, except for you. If it measures bad and sounds good, you just prefer the distortion spectrum to a clean signal.

The outlined process for design is what any engineer would do.  Any good engineer, that is. 

And no, if it measures good and sounds bad, that is what an accomplished engineer stated, not me.  I strongly suspect other engineers also subscribe to this.

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: 6 Feb 2022, 04:42 am »

Hi, FWIW I think this trite little saying is unhelpful for several reasons. For one, even you were to accept the dubious premise that you can state that something "measures good" or "measures bad", you could just as easily say "If it measured good and sounds bad, you measured the wrong thing."
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2022, 09:31 am by JohnR »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #25 on: 6 Feb 2022, 01:14 pm »

This little quip has bothered me for a long time. It's always pulled out by the subjective crowd at some point to justify their opinion that a poor measuring piece of equipment "sounds good" to them. I think anyone truly paying attention realizes by now gear with poor measurements has a sound signature some prefer. Absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Freo-1

« Reply #26 on: 6 Feb 2022, 02:01 pm »
This little quip has bothered me for a long time. It's always pulled out by the subjective crowd at some point to justify their opinion that a poor measuring piece of equipment "sounds good" to them. I think anyone truly paying attention realizes by now gear with poor measurements has a sound signature some prefer. Absolutely nothing wrong with this.

The person who came up with the saying was an accomplished engineer,  not one from the subjective crowd.  Measurements are important,  and must be used as part of the design process.  I believe the point here is that the measurements provided in reviews don't capture some aspects of reproduction.  Distortion spectrum at various frequencies,  along with high power distortion readings are two examples. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #27 on: 6 Feb 2022, 02:42 pm »

The person who came up with the saying was an accomplished engineer,  not one from the subjective crowd.  Measurements are important,  and must be used as part of the design process.  I believe the point here is that the measurements provided in reviews don't capture some aspects of reproduction.  Distortion spectrum at various frequencies,  along with high power distortion readings are two examples.

The person who came up with the saying may have been an accomplished engineer, but I've only seen it used by subjectivists to defend their position. I disagree with the statement either way. Like I say, there's nothing wrong with preferring the sound from poorly designed, built, or measuring equipment. There's also nothing wrong with not preferring well designed, built, or measuring equipment. People like what they like.

You can measure the distortion spectrum at various frequencies, along with high power distortion, and they can measure perfectly into any load; it doesn't mean everyone will prefer the sound. And again, you can measure those aspects and get poor readings, and some will hear it as glorious sound. Measurements can tell you how true an amplifier is, they won't tell you how people will react to the it.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 6 Feb 2022, 03:06 pm »
The person who came up with the saying may have been an accomplished engineer, but I've only seen it used by subjectivists to defend their position. I disagree with the statement either way. Like I say, there's nothing wrong with preferring the sound from poorly designed, built, or measuring equipment. There's also nothing wrong with not preferring well designed, built, or measuring equipment. People like what they like.

You can measure the distortion spectrum at various frequencies, along with high power distortion, and they can measure perfectly into any load; it doesn't mean everyone will prefer the sound. And again, you can measure those aspects and get poor readings, and some will hear it as glorious sound. Measurements can tell you how true an amplifier is, they won't tell you how people will react to the it.

Bingo!

Here we have more subjective opinion: "Any good engineer, that is." What is a "good" engineer? Someone whose design process strikes your fancy? That's subjective.  In my subjective opinion, a "good" engineer is one who designs an amp that does nothing but produce a larger version of the input because that in my mind is the purpose of an amp. Someone who tweaks the output to "sound good" is disregarding the primary purpose of an amp. Just more meaningless subjective opinion.

A "good" amp is one you like, a "bad" amp, one your don't. It is really that simple. An amp that measures well relative to one that doesn't is simply more accurate to the signal. Some prefer accuracy in an amp, some don't. There is no point in trying to justify your subjective preferences with objective evidence. You can't prove an opinion.

Freo-1

« Reply #29 on: 6 Feb 2022, 03:21 pm »

I have no issues with most of your observations.  There really isn't  much gear in today's market that truly measures poorly.   I get the subjective vs objective arguments.  IMHO, there are extreme positions taken on both sides. 

As Ralph,  who is the head honcho at Atma-Sphere stated, there are additional measurements that are available which could be provided that would help with correlation of playback.  This centers around distortion characteristics.   I would argue that if one actually did make an amp that measures perfect at all frequencies and power levels,  it would get near universal praise.  We simply are not there yet.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 6 Feb 2022, 03:52 pm »

As Ralph,  who is the head honcho at Atma-Sphere stated, there are additional measurements that are available which could be provided that would help with correlation of playback.  This centers around distortion characteristics.   I would argue that if one actually did make an amp that measures perfect at all frequencies and power levels,  it would get near universal praise.  We simply are not there yet.

Again, there isn't any unique one to one correlation of measurements with perceptions and taste. You could make an amp that measures perfectly in every regard and there will still be people who do not like it. We have amps already with distortion that measures below the threshold of human hearing and there are those who don't like them. Similarly, there are amps with load dependent frequency response and audible distortion that people love.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #31 on: 6 Feb 2022, 04:26 pm »
Again, there isn't any unique one to one correlation of measurements with perceptions and taste. You could make an amp that measures perfectly in every regard and there will still be people who do not like it. We have amps already with distortion that measures below the threshold of human hearing and there are those who don't like them. Similarly, there are amps with load dependent frequency response and audible distortion that people love.

This.

FWIW, I use a Benchmark AHB2 fronted by a Benchmark HPA4. Both of these pieces are state of the art measurement wise. I love their sound in my room. I have owned many amps along the way, including a Fisher KX90 which was built as a kit back around 65. After recapping the amp it sounded good to me, with lots of "tube magic." In the end though, I prefer the accuracy the Benchmark products provide. I'm sure there are many who prefer the sound from the old Fisher. The guy I sold it to loves it.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 6 Feb 2022, 04:59 pm »
This.

FWIW, I use a Benchmark AHB2 fronted by a Benchmark HPA4. Both of these pieces are state of the art measurement wise. I love their sound in my room. I have owned many amps along the way, including a Fisher KX90 which was built as a kit back around 65. After recapping the amp it sounded good to me, with lots of "tube magic." In the end though, I prefer the accuracy the Benchmark products provide. I'm sure there are many who prefer the sound from the old Fisher. The guy I sold it to loves it.

For myself, I prefer to build a system with the lowest measured distortion, the amp is usually the least offending component from that regard. Speakers and the room add far more distortion than most modern amps. I would rather use dsp to add what ever special sauce gets me happy as it is much more controllable in every way. People listen to an amp in a system at a dealer- unless you plan to use the amp in the dealer's showroom with the same other components, the amp is most likely to sound vastly different in one's home with one's different speakers, room, etc. The only logical way to evaluate an amp is in one's home. And no one on any internet forum, unless they have been in your home and listened to your system, has any clue about how "good" or "bad" the sound is, never mind how you hear and perceive said sound. This is why I put zero value on any subjective review with claims about how "good" or "bad" any component is...

WGH

« Reply #33 on: 6 Feb 2022, 07:29 pm »
And no one on any internet forum, unless they have been in your home and listened to your system, has any clue about how "good" or "bad" the sound is, never mind how you hear and perceive said sound. This is why I put zero value on any subjective review with claims about how "good" or "bad" any component is...

But you should. In 350 BC Aristotle measured and declared the Earth was the center of the universe. The  Ptolemy's geocentric model, developed in the 2nd century CE, served as the basis for preparing astrological and astronomical charts for over 1500 years that accurately predicted the movements of the planets around Earth.

So much for perfect measuring.

Nicolaus Copernicus' major (subjective) theory of a heliocentric model was published in De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres), in 1543, the year of his death, though he had formulated the theory several decades earlier. Copernicus' ideas were not immediately accepted, but they did begin a paradigm shift away from the Ptolemaic geocentric model to a heliocentric model. The Copernican revolution, as this paradigm shift would come to be called, would last until Isaac Newton’s work over a century later. 1

And another example: Back in 2012 - 2013 the nCore NC400 was the perfectly measuring darling of the audio world, not a negative word could barely be spoken about the amp with risking the ire of believers. I was lucky to borrow the nCore amp for a summer and declared the King wore no clothes in a review. It did not go over well but history has proven I was right. Witness all the Class D manufacturers working hard to "improve" the sound of a perfectly measuring amp going so far as adding tubes as PS Audio has done in the Stellar M1200 monoblock amps I reviewed.

An individual on an internet forum may not know what "good" or "bad" sound is but there is wisdom in the masses. The current consensuses is the original nCore is "bad" sound and it didn't even take 1500 years. At the opposite end, very few people get to listen to a Van Alstine amp before buying one which should be very risky because the company publishes very minimal specifications. It is certainly not an amp an objective person would consider buying (at their loss). The collected wisdom of the internet has agreed that AVA electronics are "good" even without measurements.

It may take another 1500 years to discover why some perfectly measuring electronics are not pleasant to listen to.

1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_center_of_the_Universe

Freo-1

« Reply #34 on: 6 Feb 2022, 08:28 pm »
But you should. In 350 BC Aristotle measured and declared the Earth was the center of the universe. The  Ptolemy's geocentric model, developed in the 2nd century CE, served as the basis for preparing astrological and astronomical charts for over 1500 years that accurately predicted the movements of the planets around Earth.

So much for perfect measuring.

Nicolaus Copernicus' major (subjective) theory of a heliocentric model was published in De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres), in 1543, the year of his death, though he had formulated the theory several decades earlier. Copernicus' ideas were not immediately accepted, but they did begin a paradigm shift away from the Ptolemaic geocentric model to a heliocentric model. The Copernican revolution, as this paradigm shift would come to be called, would last until Isaac Newton’s work over a century later. 1

And another example: Back in 2012 - 2013 the nCore NC400 was the perfectly measuring darling of the audio world, not a negative word could barely be spoken about the amp with risking the ire of believers. I was lucky to borrow the nCore amp for a summer and declared the King wore no clothes in a review. It did not go over well but history has proven I was right. Witness all the Class D manufacturers working hard to "improve" the sound of a perfectly measuring amp going so far as adding tubes as PS Audio has done in the Stellar M1200 monoblock amps I reviewed.

An individual on an internet forum may not know what "good" or "bad" sound is but there is wisdom in the masses. The current consensuses is the original nCore is "bad" sound and it didn't even take 1500 years. At the opposite end, very few people get to listen to a Van Alstine amp before buying one which should be very risky because the company publishes very minimal specifications. It is certainly not an amp an objective person would consider buying (at their loss). The collected wisdom of the internet has agreed that AVA electronics are "good" even without measurements.

It may take another 1500 years to discover why some perfectly measuring electronics are not pleasant to listen to.

Very well stated! Count me among those who were less than enamored with Ncore. 

I really like what I hear from the Gan400. It's got strengths and shortfalls like any other gear.  For absolute reference listening,  still use the Devialet D-Premiers in mono, which sound very good to me.  They also measure pretty well, at least the ones that are out there. 

The main point of this thread was to identify the fact that an accomplished engineer from a well respected audio manufacturer has recently created a class D amp with GanFET technology.  When he was asked if the subjective sound qualities could be measured,  he said they could, based on distortion characteristics.  I take him at his word. 

Have requested some additional measurements that cold bear this out. Hopefully,  they will be available in the near term.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 7 Feb 2022, 12:27 am »

More meaningless subjective opinion. The nc400 is wildly successful so clearly your opinion and review are nothing more than your opinion and review. There have been far more "good" reviews than bad, which just proves my point- subjective opinions don't necessarily translate and are worthless on a personal level. History has not proven you right, nor wrong. Opinions are irrational and can't be proven, period.

Yes, amp designers are always looking to improve the current state of technology. Nothing is perfect to an engineer. And let's not forget the engine that powers the marketplace: profit motive. Building a better mousetrap is as potent a motivator as ever. As long as there are people looking for smaller, more efficient, better value, etc., there will be a an engineer working to please them.

As for collective wisdom, I don't find that any real argument. I don't buy based on other's opinions, collective or not. I don't believe in the mob, rather I use my own judgment as the only opinion that matters is my own. It means nothing what some collective group thinks about AVA amps- it's been my experience that the more people that join a group, the lower the group intelligence becomes. No, your argument is flawed in at least two ways: opinions are not evidence no matter how many you aggregate, and surely there is a group of people who think just the opposite.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 7 Feb 2022, 12:36 am »

When he was asked if the subjective sound qualities could be measured,  he said they could, based on distortion characteristics.  I take him at his word. 

You are misrepresenting what your engineer said. He did not say subjective sound qualities could be measured. He said he has found some correlation between certain distortion types/characteristics and listener preferences. This is old research and I have eluded to it previously. You can indeed find a tendency among groups that prefer certain types of distortion. The robustness of this predictor is not high, meaning it is not a strong predictor of individual preferences. I could state that Japanese love sushi and in general, that is true. But having lived in Japan for many years, I met many Japanese who did not love sushi. I would thus ask before I took someone to dinner because I knew that assuming everyone loved sushi was simply not true and I didn't want to subject someone to something they did not enjoy. So I don't make assumptions about individual preferences as generalities are meaningless on a personal level.

Freo-1

« Reply #37 on: 7 Feb 2022, 01:27 am »
I asked him if the sound qualities from GanFETs could be measured,  and he responded yes.  The answer centered around distortion characteristics.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 7 Feb 2022, 02:49 am »
I asked him if the sound qualities from GanFETs could be measured,  and he responded yes.  The answer centered around distortion characteristics.

That is clearly not possible. You can't measure a sound quality. All you can do is try to correlate objective measurements with perceptions of sound quality, as many have tried, with the shortcomings I have previously noted.

Freo-1

« Reply #39 on: 7 Feb 2022, 03:18 pm »
All you can do is try to correlate objective measurements with perceptions of sound quality, as many have tried, with the shortcomings I have previously noted.

That's the point.  It's been identified that the shortcomings you mentioned can be reduced by providing additional measurements not currently provided with the reviews.  The additional measurements outlined can provide additional insight,  and that's a good thing.

I'm not saying it's perfect and solves the objective/subjective impressions.  Just saying the additional measurements can only help.