Jan 17th Listening Session Impressions

John Casler

Post Script on the MiniMax
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2004, 03:50 am »
Since the MiniMax has left the building (mine) I have done a bit of system re-tuning.

I have discovered that my pot settings on my 626Rs were a little higher than I would normally have set them (like in 1:00)

I have since twisted the Neopanels down to 10:30 and the FST to 11:30 and it has certainly reduced the agressive stress I was hearing at louder levels.

This tells me that the MiniMax might have sounded even better with these settings and a little tube rolling I might get just what I'm looking for.

Usng the 5th cut on the Josh Groban CD cranked to about 90db, the aggressive sibilance is very reduced and getting closer to what I think is Josh's textural harmonix in his voice.

I have a feeling that the MiniMax might still be in the future for this "rig"

I do miss the depth and quality it seemed to offer my set up and although the Bryston is a very good pre, the Mini is a sweet gem overall.

Oh and also talked to Robert Schultz today (what a fun guy :lol: ) and I'll be comparing the Ridgestreet package, to the AudioQuest DBS equiped wiring I'm currently using.

Now since my system is already a little agressive, I'm not expecting suoer things, but it will be fun to see just how much difference I can hear (if any) with and A/B of the two.

Rocket

listening sessions
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2004, 01:02 am »
Hi Mad Dog,

Now you've made me depressed, i thought i was on the road to having one of the best dac's available and now i hear i have to spend $11000us to get something better  :o .

Btw was the linn that much better or are we talking a few degrees?  I listening to my pt combo last night and it sounded pretty good.

Thankx for the comparisons it is interesting.

Regards

Rocket

Ps how about these thread hijackers starting another thread regarding power conditioners, I'm not really interested in this top and it is crapping this thread up.

Sa-dono

Re: listening sessions
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2004, 02:03 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Mad Dog,

Now you've made me depressed, i thought i was on the road to having one of the best dac's available and now i hear i have to spend $11000us to get something better  :o .

Isn't that a good thing that it would cost so much more to get better sound? For what it's worth, I am in the process of auditioning the Empirical Audio modded P-3A (Turbomod and SuperclockII), and feel this would make for a much more interesting comparison with the Linn. I am actually hoping to compare this P-3A with the Meitner (the only DAC Keith prefers over his Linn, if I'm not mistaken). It should be interesting :D

Marbles

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2004, 02:11 am »
Quote from: Sa-dono
I am in the process of auditioning the Empirical Audio modded P-3A (Turbomod and SuperclockII), and feel this would make for a much more interesting comparison with the Linn. I am actually hoping to c ...

Do you have it now?  If so, what are your thoughts on it?  What transport are you using?

Thanks

Sa-dono

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2004, 02:18 am »
Quote from: Marbles

Do you have it now?  If so, what are your thoughts on it?  What transport are you using?

Thanks

There was a problem with the unit, so it has been sent back for repair. I should hopefully have it again later this week. Initial impressions were positive..but I want to have a completely working unit to do more in depth comparisons, before I write up my thoughts. I am using an Audio Alchemy DDS-Pro with I2S output as a transport.

Marbles

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2004, 02:35 am »
OK, thanks.  Please post your thoughts when you have had a working unit for a while.

Sa-dono

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan 2004, 05:27 am »
No prob Marbles. I'll be sure to start up a thread with my impressions once I've done all of my comparisons.