Super V's after 9 months

MichaelHiFi

Super V's after 9 months
« on: 10 Nov 2012, 04:44 pm »
I think it's been that long since I fired them up  :scratch:

I know I've waxed philosophical about these speakers and I don't want to be a fanboy, just wanted to share.

We never stop tweaking it seems. With the help of my audio guru friends who are also digging these speakers - and buying them (another build in my garage) they have joined forces, bringing in amps, Dac's, Servers, computers and good sets of ears. The Frankenstein Joules refuse to bow down to another amp. Sucks because they've proved dangerous to my 2 year old. But they are magic through the V's. Various equipment gave different results all good, different, better in some ways, not so good in others, but the Super V's seem to be friendly to most equipment. But since the Decware which we need to reaudition it kept getting better. Occasionally a step back but we're tweakers and we expect that.

We have a combination now that we believe is truly a winner. The 2006 Dutchess Crossing port was poured last night in a sort of celebration.

Luan after hearing his Mac Mini and Kora power supply through my system knew we had something. I was very tempted to duplicate the MAC solution even that I completely dislike LiTunes. Luan too wanted a PC solution and jumped on the CAPs server, quickly building one up. Grief set in when the SoTM card refuse to play. More grief when the company told him we broke the card (long story) and wouldn't honor the warranty. Sucks. Not to be defeated he bought another card, and this one worked.

Already sounding amazing without the card through the PC server we were further amazed at how the system now is so finessed (Luan's term). It really is playing at a level I hadn't heard in any system top to bottom. It simply plays music of all kinds exceedingly well. It will play music LOUD. And when played LOUD it doesn't seem to run out of gas or get unruly. We punish these speakers and in return they provide great pleasure. Pretty cool.  8)

Not what can I tweak further... :o

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Super V's after 9 months
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2012, 05:13 pm »
Add 3 more for surround sound! :)

The RCA Living Stereo SACD's for certain recordings actually have all 3 channels on the disc from the master tapes. 

One day will give this a try with three matched speakers.

morganc

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2012, 08:59 pm »
Great news Michael.   If your wife rejoiced, then you must be jamming :thumb:.  I can't wait to hear the server myself, and I may very well want one of my own :icon_lol:.

mykyll2727

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:49 am »
Add 3 more for surround sound! :)

The RCA Living Stereo SACD's for certain recordings actually have all 3 channels on the disc from the master tapes. 

One day will give this a try with three matched speakers.

I've done this with identical towers. I have some of the RCA LS SACDs and found it far more enjoyable than the stereo playback. I actually had five identical towers for MCH SACD, which is what MCH SACD was designed for, and the sound is truly exceptional IMO. If you haven't and can, try it. I think you'll be impressed.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2012, 08:13 pm by mykyll2727 »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2012, 03:28 am »
Great feedback on the SACD's in three channel mode.  Will give this a try once I can!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2012, 03:42 am »
MichaelHiFi,
You might try a bit of reticulated foam in the tweeter waveguide/throat.  Similar to what Geddes does with his waveguides.  I've tried it with my V2's and it makes quite an improvement, IMO.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2012, 03:56 am »
Glad everything is just continuing to get better and better Michael! Wish I had managed to make one of the various GTG's with the Super V's (although the Frankenstein movie set reject amp rheostats still make me nervous.... :peek:)

I think I'm turning into a fanboi about the OB designs Danny makes (whether the GR Research or now the Serenity's), so I have to be careful about how I come across. There is something about them that is special - the high sensitivity makes for great dynamics and the bass line is out of this world. The musicality is on another level. The ease of room integration is something I'm still working on  :duel:.

Maybe someday I'll be able to take the plunge.

Hope all is well with the Family (your Dad is an amazing individual) and hope to catch up and hear your gear at some point!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2012, 03:28 pm »
Serenity's? Don't be talking about another speaker now  :nono:

We got an egg so what's your excuse  :lol:

Frankenstein's make me nervous too. You should have seen how brightly one of those 6C33's shine when the tube goes bad. Made me think of a reactor melt down  :peek: (Hey, that worked for me too)

Glad everything is just continuing to get better and better Michael! Wish I had managed to make one of the various GTG's with the Super V's (although the Frankenstein movie set reject amp rheostats still make me nervous.... :peek:)

I think I'm turning into a fanboi about the OB designs Danny makes (whether the GR Research or now the Serenity's), so I have to be careful about how I come across. There is something about them that is special - the high sensitivity makes for great dynamics and the bass line is out of this world. The musicality is on another level. The ease of room integration is something I'm still working on  :duel:.

Maybe someday I'll be able to take the plunge.

Hope all is well with the Family (your Dad is an amazing individual) and hope to catch up and hear your gear at some point!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2012, 03:33 pm »
Tyson, Interesting. Have to give that a try, as long as I can return to normal cause these V's are rockin. Now I have to look up reticulated foam.

MichaelHiFi,
You might try a bit of reticulated foam in the tweeter waveguide/throat.  Similar to what Geddes does with his waveguides.  I've tried it with my V2's and it makes quite an improvement, IMO.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2012, 04:10 pm »
Excellent news M.

As long as the Boss is happy...so are we. :)

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:16 pm »
MichaelHiFi,

I don't see how that could be accomplished without taking the speaker apart.  :?

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:31 pm »
Tweeter unscrews from the back.  Just unscrew it and put the foam in the throat/waveguide.  Re-screw in the tweeter.  Done.

mykyll2727

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2012, 08:16 pm »
MichaelHiFi,

I find this fascinating. I'd never heard of it before. I did a search but couldn't really find out much. Could you elaborate for me?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:41 pm »
Serenity's? Don't be talking about another speaker now  :nono:

We got an egg so what's your excuse  :lol:

Frankenstein's make me nervous too. You should have seen how brightly one of those 6C33's shine when the tube goes bad. Made me think of a reactor melt down  :peek: (Hey, that worked for me too)
Complete and total lack of any woodworking skills  :oops: and Danny telling me that the last of the flatpacks were gone.  :(

Ah well........

At least I'm getting better and better sound out of my LS'es with each change I incorporate  :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2012, 06:37 pm »

I find this fascinating. I'd never heard of it before. I did a search but couldn't really find out much. Could you elaborate for me?

It deals with HOM's (or Higher Order Modes).  The idea is that sound does not just vent straight out through a horn (or waveguide).  At least not all of it.  Some of the sound will bounce around on the walls of the waveguide and cause that typical shoutiness that horns are infamous for.  Geddes did a lot of measurements and experimentation and found that reticulated foam absorbs these throat reflections while not interfering with the forward firing sound wave too much.  As long as you used 30 ppi reticulated foam.  I've tried it in my V2's and it works quite well, IMO.  And if you try it and don't like it, its also completely reversible.

mykyll2727

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2012, 07:19 pm »
It deals with HOM's (or Higher Order Modes).  The idea is that sound does not just vent straight out through a horn (or waveguide).  At least not all of it.  Some of the sound will bounce around on the walls of the waveguide and cause that typical shoutiness that horns are infamous for.  Geddes did a lot of measurements and experimentation and found that reticulated foam absorbs these throat reflections while not interfering with the forward firing sound wave too much.  As long as you used 30 ppi reticulated foam.  I've tried it in my V2's and it works quite well, IMO.  And if you try it and don't like it, its also completely reversible.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Am I right in assuming then that he lines the throat of the horn with the foam?

johnzm

« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2012, 07:24 pm »

stuff it in

Cheeseboy

« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm »
What the.........

I've been out of the country for two weeks and when I get home you still have the same speakers?

Michael are you feeling OK? 

Seriously, I'm going to be practising my Moms Polish cabbage roll recipes for the next few weeks.  When I have perfected them I'm taking a ride to San Jose with a crock pot full of her famous Hunky Hand Grenades.   I'd love to hear the system firing on all cylinders.   

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:46 pm »
No love for SoCal? :)
What the.........

I've been out of the country for two weeks and when I get home you still have the same speakers?

Michael are you feeling OK? 

Seriously, I'm going to be practising my Moms Polish cabbage roll recipes for the next few weeks.  When I have perfected them I'm taking a ride to San Jose with a crock pot full of her famous Hunky Hand Grenades.   I'd love to hear the system firing on all cylinders.   

Cheeseboy

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2012, 07:15 pm »
I'll freeze a few and fedex them.  You'll get some of my homemade Saurkraut too. 
You may have to share with SoCalWJS.

We got love for you!