Thinking of using an A370PEQ subwoofer amp to replace an old Velodyne sw amp

HsvHeelFan

Hi all,

I usually post over on the Bryston Circle. I've got a 4B-ST as my audio amp and it's feeding KEF Q70's and a Velodyne 12 inch subwoofer of approx 2000 vintage where the Velodyne amp/eq board is starting to fail.

I'm getting real tired of fiddling with it to get it to wake up and work.  Velodyne wasn't able to locate (or interested in providing) a replacement amp.

I like the size of the Velodyne and it fits well in it's location and the 12 inch long excursion driver is in excellent condition.

So, I'm thinking about replacing the Velodyne amp with a different subwoofer amp/eq.

Browsing around the Audio Circle brought me to here and I'm wondering if anyone has "upgraded" their Velodyne subwoofer with the GR Research A370PEQ?

Has anyone done this?

Is it foolish of me to be thinking about doing this? 

How different are Velodyne drivers compared to the GR Research 12 inch drivers?

Thanks in advance,

HsvHeelFan

Danny Richie

Basically the Velodyne uses an old servo technology that is a long way from the patented Rythmik servo technology. So the performance difference is quite a bit different.

You can install our woofer and amp into any 1.5 cubic foot box (give or take a little) so long as the box is solid enough.

I don't recommend a lightly constructed box.

HsvHeelFan

Thanks for that info.

For the moment, if I play the system every evening, it comes on.  If it sits for 3 or more days, it may or may not work.

The outside measurements of my Velodyne cabinet are 18 inches tall, 18 inches deep and 15 inches wide (this is outside dimensions).  I still haven't looked inside.  I suspect it's built out of 3/4 inch MDF.   If that's the case, it's 2.45 cubic feet (not including how much of the volume is intruded upon by the Woofer basket/driver and the internal parts of the amp.

I'm thinking of using the existing cabinet and fitting a SW12-04 and the A370PEQ amp.    If I don't like the results, I'd consider building a new cabinet at that point.

Any thoughts on my current idea?

HsvHeelFan

Danny Richie

Thanks for that info.

For the moment, if I play the system every evening, it comes on.  If it sits for 3 or more days, it may or may not work.

The outside measurements of my Velodyne cabinet are 18 inches tall, 18 inches deep and 15 inches wide (this is outside dimensions).  I still haven't looked inside.  I suspect it's built out of 3/4 inch MDF.   If that's the case, it's 2.45 cubic feet (not including how much of the volume is intruded upon by the Woofer basket/driver and the internal parts of the amp.

I'm thinking of using the existing cabinet and fitting a SW12-04 and the A370PEQ amp.    If I don't like the results, I'd consider building a new cabinet at that point.

Any thoughts on my current idea?

HsvHeelFan

I'd go in an line the cabinet with another layer of 3/4" MDF to stiffen it up and take up air space. Braces my need to be added as well. If you can get the air space down to 1.8 cubic feet or less then you'll be fine.