LS Center in the wild

Skiman

LS Center in the wild
« on: 25 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm »
I finally got my LS center! This saga actually goes back to around 2007 or so, when I prepaid AV123 for an LS center and surrounds in additon to a pair of LS9s. I eventually got a pair of LS9s from AV123 in Rosewood, and decided to use some of the prepaid money for a third LS9 as my center channel, since it was becoming obvious that AV123 was not going to produce the LS center (or surrounds). With my home theater screen, it had to be laid on it's side, which I realize was not ideal, but it worked. Flash foreward to the more recent past, and I get in touch with Ruben of Out Of The Woods, and we strike a 'win win' deal. I exchange my third LS9 for an LS center that he makes. Ruben plans on making a second LS9 for himself, and I finally get a dedicated center to match my LS9s. This deal was greatly helped by the fact that we both live in the metro Denver area. I also decided to get one of Ruben's custom adjustable stands, for which I happily paid extra. Ruben's craftsmanship is impeccable!

On Danny's recommendation, Ruben installed flush speaker inputs designed for a specific connector that he supplied. Unfortunately, my 10 AWG speaker wire was too big to insert in the connectors, so I reused my bananna plugs.

My initial impressions on how it sounds are extremely positive. I have played some of my familiar favorite 5.1 SACDs with strong center channel information, such as Diana Krall's "The Look of Love". Her voice sounds so real, just like she is in the room in front of me, it gave me goosebumps.

So, my advise for any LS9 or LS6 owners who want a center channel that must fit under a screen and really matches these awsome speakers is to get one of these LSCs.

click on my gallery for before and after pics

« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2012, 02:28 am by Skiman »

SoCalWJS

Re: LS Center in the wild
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2012, 11:30 pm »
Wow! That's just beuatiful. Love the stand.  :drool:

Glad to hear the positive impressions - Thanks for sharing.

I periodically dream of replacing my X-Voce with this to better match my LS-6'es, but haven't finalized my long range plans yet.

(I was just watching the fist hour or so of The Avengers, and I have to say, I really like my HT setup.  :thumb: )

Cheeseboy

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2012, 11:32 pm »
You get to see and hear one of those on Sat! 

soundofrockets

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2012, 11:46 pm »
you right Steve.  the ls center will be on display in its full glory.  piano black with matching stand. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2012, 12:23 am »
you right Steve.  the ls center will be on display in its full glory.  piano black with matching stand.
ruh roh..... (again)

jvgillow

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2012, 01:12 am »
I finally ordered one of the LS-C a couple weeks ago... looking forward to hearing what it can do.  I already bought a TV stand a few months ago that has a big enough shelf for the speaker (open backed of course), currently not running any center speaker just 4.0 with LS-6 and X-SLS rear.

Jeremy

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2012, 02:56 am »
Wow, that looks good.

On Danny's recommendation, Ruben installed flush speaker inputs designed for a specific connector that he supplied. Unfortunately, my 10 AWG speaker wire was too big to insert in the connectors, so I reused my bananna plugs.

You don't need 10 gauge wire on that center channel speaker. You might want to think about upgrading to a smaller gauge but higher quality wire.

You could also still use the tube connectors male ends by clipping out a few strands so that it fits into the connectors. That will be a notable improvement over using the banana's. The male studs are suppose to be good for up to ten gauge. I have had three sixteen gauge wires inserted into them. So it shouldn't be hard to make them fit.

edoggrc51

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2012, 03:27 pm »
That center looks great! I REALLY need to pick one of these up soon!

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:34 pm »
since it was becoming obvious that AV123 was not going to produce the LS center (or surrounds).

LS-Surrounds are coming! No time frame just yet (got a lot going on), but Danny and I have talked it over and it will happen. :hyper:

My initial impressions on how it sounds are extremely positive. I have played some of my familiar favorite 5.1 SACDs with strong center channel information, such as Diana Krall's "The Look of Love". Her voice sounds so real, just like she is in the room in front of me, it gave me goosebumps.

:thumb:
Thanks again, Buzz!  :beer:

Best,

Ruben

Here's another angle.

edoggrc51

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:41 pm »
LS-Surrounds are coming! No time frame just yet (got a lot going on), but Danny and I have talked it over and it will happen. :hyper:
You tease!! :green:  Any more info you can share??

As always, EXCELLENT work Ruben!  :thumb: Btw, just sent ya a PM.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:46 pm »
That looks great, is it rosewood veneer?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:54 pm »

Hey, Sunil.  :wave:

Thought I'd get in here with some pics of your set up. :D

Got any pics of your room that you could share?

Hare are a couple of pics that show the difference between straight piano black and your piano metallic black.

BTW, I just responded to your PM. :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:57 pm »
That looks great, is it rosewood veneer?

Hi Steven,

Yep, that's Rosewood. :D

Best,

Ruben

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2012, 05:02 pm »
Thanks, you made it look beautiful :)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2012, 05:03 pm »
As always, Beautiful work Ruben. You are a first class craftsman. :thumb:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2012, 05:05 pm »
You tease!! :green:  Any more info you can share??

:lol:

Can't say much more at this point. With everything else we have going on right now I probably should have just kept my mouth shut. :lol:

As always, EXCELLENT work Ruben!  :thumb: Btw, just sent ya a PM.

Thanks, Eric.

Let's get yours built! :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

edoggrc51

« Reply #16 on: 26 Sep 2012, 05:39 pm »
Thanks, Eric.

Let's get yours built! :thumb:

Best,

Ruben
I think youre right.  :beer:

mcallister

« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2012, 07:16 pm »
Impatiently awaiting LS-Surround info

soundofrockets

« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:59 pm »
Hey, Sunil.  :wave:

Thought I'd get in here with some pics of your set up. :D

Got any pics of your room that you could share?

Hare are a couple of pics that show the difference between straight piano black and your piano metallic black.

BTW, I just responded to your PM. :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

thanks for the pm.  hope to get it before saturday's gtg !!  will post some pixs of the room and the center later today.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2012, 09:41 pm »
LS-Surround?  I was just thinking I need to pull the trigger on a A/V-1RS pair.   :dance: