It's Chili time!!!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
It's Chili time!!!
« on: 4 Jan 2020, 11:19 pm »
I fired up my WSM, added apple and pecan chunks, sliced up some 5lbs of beef roast and 2lbs boneless pork loin and smoked it up for just over an hour. It's now all chopped up and in the pot with everything else. 2 hours of simmer, add a beer, and BOOM!!! Super time.

Anyone else a fan of chili?

EdRo

• Industry Participant
Re: It's Chili time!!!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2020, 12:28 am »

Oops! Almost forgot the beer.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2020, 12:34 am »

Looks like a bourbon barrel theme...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2020, 12:48 am »
I love making chili and similar stews.

There is a product that is normally used only in Chinese/Asian cooking that adds a special flavor to soups and stews. It's called 'Shallot Sauce'. It's pretty oily, so take this into account if you're adding it to already oily dishes. I quite like using it to add an extra flavor kick.

Michael

Have you ever tried this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E7%B4%85%E8%94%A5%E9%86%AC&sxsrf=ACYBGNSLlNp5uzjxwjQdrbxXeJOitJYrvQ:1578185105609&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=L7Vm2jEa4oCb9M%253A%252Cgrk5QVsOpLtFTM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQCmoDjyEs6EXbK5XNZocVAAB6ViQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiU6e_UnevmAhWGIjQIHWK0BnEQ9QEwCHoECAgQFA#imgrc=L7Vm2jEa4oCb9M:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2020, 01:37 am »
I've never heard of that stuff. Very interesting!

GentleBender

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2020, 11:29 am »
I love some good chili! I made some last Saturday with some leftover flat from a brisket I smoked and some smoked picanah my new favorite cut of beef. I didn’t use Shallot sauce, but I did use shallots. I found a deeper love for my 8qt InstantPot as I was able to sauté everything in it before setting it to simmer for a few hours.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2020, 03:05 pm »
I made a batch in Dec, so I'm due for more. 
I mix 50% fatty ground beef with 50% venison as the base.  Then boil and scrape 15+- chili pods, add the water to the meat, add a touch of garlic and oregano, a couple of tomatoes, bit of salt, and let it cook... and cook... and cook. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2020, 04:27 pm »
  In Chili Country do ya use beans or no beans ? In Chili NYC no beans. Chunks of topround or brisket No chop meat either.

charles

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2020, 05:10 pm »
Beans?  Not acceptable in Texas.   :guns:  Beans are on the side. 

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2020, 07:09 pm »
We went to the Texas Roadhouse, which is a steak place.  I ordered chili. Came with beans.  I was shocked, as I prefer chili with no beans. 

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2020, 08:20 pm »
We went to the Texas Roadhouse, which is a steak place.  I ordered chili. Came with beans.  I was shocked, as I prefer chili with no beans.
Texas Roadhouse is a big chain ...actually based in Kentucky.  Not surprised they put beans in their chili.  We have one in Abilene... kinda run of the mill steaks, but nothing special at this location.

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2020, 09:01 pm »
I use chili to lure unsuspecting audiophiles to my house for audio meets so I can audition their high-end stuff.  :icon_lol:

My last batch was too long ago in June!  :o

bearman2

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2020, 09:34 pm »
Everyone may not agree on the use of beans in chili but a necessity is a good brew.    :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2020, 11:49 pm »
I guess a lot depends on how one grew up. My father always added kidney beans to his chilis, so I usually add beans (not always kidney beans) to mine. I like to use Flank steak because I like its texture once it has softened.

S Clark

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2020, 11:59 pm »
I guess a lot depends on how one grew up...
For sure.  Each region has it's variations.  Supposedly the origin is northern Mexico/southern Texas from the 1850's.  It probably had everything under the sun thrown into the pot, including beans... just to have something to eat. 
But I gotta agree; chili need a beer to go with it.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2020, 03:50 am »
Well, I've never been adverse to beans in chili. In northern Michigan that's how we do it, at least at my home. I've won "Best Red Meat Chili" 3 years in a row in the biggest competition in my area. I know Michigan isn't Texas, but we all know great chili can come from any inspired kitchen. I add black and kidney beans, beef roasts and pork shoulder smoked in my Weber smokey mountain. And I've never had anyone spit out a mouthful of my chili and scream...BEANS!!!! AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! BEANS!!! choke-gasp-wheeze...this ain't how it's done in TEXAS!!!
     I usually include a big pot of chili at my speaker listening sessions.

S Clark

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2020, 04:02 am »
Well, I've never been adverse to beans in chili. In northern Michigan that's how we do it, at least at my home. I've won "Best Red Meat Chili" 3 years in a row in the biggest competition in my area. I know Michigan isn't Texas, but we all know great chili can come from any inspired kitchen. I add black and kidney beans, beef roasts and pork shoulder smoked in my Weber smokey mountain. And I've never had anyone spit out a mouthful of my chili and scream...BEANS!!!! AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! BEANS!!! choke-gasp-wheeze...this ain't how it's done in TEXAS!!!
     I usually include a big pot of chili at my speaker listening sessions.
Got a chuckle out of the choke wheeze comment.  Gotta admit, Texans can be pretty arrogant about our view of chili and bbq.  It's a big world, and lots of ways to make good food.  If anyone ever gets to Texas in Nov. come to Terlingua for the chili cookoff... about 10,000 people converge on a ghost town in the desert to cook, drink, and misbehave a bit.  I've got a piece of land down there you can stay on. 

GentleBender

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2020, 09:59 am »
I’m not tied to any rules on my chili, except it has to be delicious. I’ve probably never made it exactly the same, I put what I crave and have on hand in it. This time I put a couple carrots in it to give it some sweet heat and I hadn’t realized I was out of onion, so I used shallots and a leek.