Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 Power Cord

Jon L

Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 Power Cord
« on: 5 Jul 2006, 07:17 am »
Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 power cord--Impressions

The maker of the famed Black Max Silver Ref IV happens to make this little gem of a cord, one I personally prefer over the Silver Ref.  The only link to Violet can be found here:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablpowr&1156861887

Since a lot of people are familiar with Volex 17604 cord, I will go ahead and enumerate what the Violet Z1 brings to the party compared to Volex.

BTW, I hold the Volex in pretty high regard, as I prefer it to MANY audiophile cords I've tried over the years.  Volex excels by not having gross errors of commision, i.e. midbass bloat, "chromed" upper midrange, skewed tonal balance, etc that many audiophile cords exhibit.  It DOES have some errors of ommision that become obvious in comparison to truly great cords like the Violet.

Violet's calling card in my mind is CONTROL.  Not the usual bass-control, etc people think about, but even-handed control from top to bottom.  It fires the notes as if from a 45 Magnum, perfectly in trajectory without wobble or overshoot.  Notes don't have that dreaded "ringing," which can be very tiring in upper-mids/low-treble, exactly where digital sources tend to "ring."  Music appears with natural speed, hangs there just the right amount, and decays without foreshortening, and everything is in balance as should be.

Volex tends to do the initial leading edge pretty well, but it can lose control during the sustain and decay, leaving the impression that some notes have not completed fully with requisite harmonic envelope and decay. It's not so bad compared to other cords, but this is why some of these lesser cords sound choppy and non-continuous during a note's mid-flight/decay. 

With Violet, same control applies to treble, which effortlessly extends to stratosphere without any peaks or valleys, yet with requisite natural sparkle.  It is, in fact, one of the best trebles I've heard out of any cable.  Lesser cords, including Volex, don't have the same refined, filigree'd, yet densely detailed treble, and certain notes within the similar treble area tend to "stick out" or recess due to unevenness in the range.  Violet's treble is not overly airy/light or spotlit; it is just right in terms of quantity, density, speed, and impact. 

Bass follows in the same vein.  You won't find the at-first-impressive upper to midbass "boom" many audiophile cords exhibit.  Violet's upper-bass and mid-bass are extremely linear without being threadbare, but more importantly, the bass, especially upper-bass, has LIFE.  It's the most lively upper-bass I've heard out of a cord, completely opposite of "dead" bass that pervades many cables and recordings. 

Compared to Violet, Volex's upper-bass to mid-bass is not as bouncy or impactful. All the bass notes are there, and the drum beats hit, but they don't hit with the conviction and tunefulness of the Violet.

Midrange. This is where I felt the Black Max Silver Ref didn't fit my tastes in that it was a little too relaxed and smooth for me. I know tons of audiophiles love this kind of sound, especially in all-solid-state systems, but in my tube-based system, I wished for a little more vibrant, a bit less laid-back, and more microdynamically textured midrange. The Violet did just that, though it never crossed into midrange brightness or hardness at all. Everything is still very even and controlled, yet that extra midrange expressiveness and liveliness was there. Black Max probably does have slightly more treble purity and refinement and a tiny bit more low-bass extension, though.

I'm not a big soundstage guy, but Violet pretty much hits it right on the nose. Images start right at the plane of the speakers then extend deep into the stage. Left to right and front to back feel naturally expansive with firm, 3-D images occupying spots. This is not a cable that has overly forward imaging/soundstaging that crowds you. Volex's soundstage feels much flatter and 2-D, and it does crowd you a bit more.

Now, people talk about "black" background, etc, and Violet does have a very quiet background. I personally don't like those "ink black" backgrounds where the space between instruments feel like vacuum/black hole. Thankfully, Violet's spaces, while quiet, were not air-tight vacuum but had substance and smell of venue imbued within the space. I'm not sure what kind of shielding Violet has, but I sure am glad it doesn't sound over-shielded. This is actually a strong point of Volex, too, which has shielding, but not too much unlike many audiophile cords. Volex's background, however, has noticeably more grainy air compared to Violet.

I did directly compare Violet with some other cords. Audience PowerChord is a nice cord with lots of good reviews behind it. Compared to Violet, it is less neutral-sounding tonally b/c low-midrange to upper-bass is noticeably more ripe and fluffy. Extreme treble is rolled off, yet somewhere in low-treble to upper-midrange there is a couple of narrow peaks that add extra "air" to voices in good recordings but adds a kind of a grainy sparkle to many mass-market recordings.

I also compared it to my proud DIY cord, which is Belden 83802 in "shotgun" configuration. Each leg has 12 AWG x2, and the braid shield acts as floating shield. This is an awesome DIY cord that has beat off some seriously $$$ cords. Violet is more refined across the ranges with smoother upper-mids yet more extended extreme treble. My DIY cord is slightly too powerful in mid-bass and has more bass power and impact as a result, but that's HUGE conductor AWG speaking, and Violet has a more linear bass response.

So is Violet the Perfect Cord? Well, it may as well be, especially if you're running solid-state components. There really isn't much to fault here, and that's saying A LOT when it comes to power cords.

For low-power components, my Omega Mikro power cord with tiny copper ribbons does sound a wee bit more pure and transparent, but it can't be used with big components, and some have accused it of being "too lean," or rather not having ANY extra warmth. I don't really agree with that, but it will sound kind of threadbare with components that require lots of power due to the small ribbon.

As far as Violets, go get'em b/c I can't think of any cords at that price, new or used, that comes close, period.

Jon L

Re: Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 Power Cord
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2006, 05:25 am »
In order to further compare Omega Mikro vs. Violet, I did further testing on my Class-A tube amp into speakers, and the advantage in purity and transparency of Omega Mikro in low-power use completely disappears in high-power use as expected.  I absolutely do prefer the Violet over Omega Mikro on the tube amp. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2006, 05:33 am »
As I have before...I'll ask it again....what do you feel makes these Black Sand cables so special ? Why do they outperform so many other's ? :scratch: Thanks...

shokunin

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2006, 08:42 am »
Hey Jon,

Since the thread on Head-fi, I ordered a couple of Violets to try, one with the Silver Wattgates, one standard termination.  I just received them and threw them on the cable cooker for a day and on my monster server for a day. One thing I've noticed is the Violet excels at micro-detail, the small nuances within the music.  It's not hyper-detail, edgy detail, or detail for the sake of detail, but the low-level information that seem to get blurred or smeared on other cables.  The silver wattgate terminated ones seem to have a tad less bass making it the high's seem a bit excentuated, or maybe it's the other way around more highs thus less bass?  I dunno, but they are both very musical cords, they compare very well to the Airsine.  The Airsine has a little more body to vocals but doesn't reveal the lower level information as much.    I listened with the cords plugged directly into the wall and bypassed my Adept conditioner.

I have not heard the silver ref's so I have nothing to compare them against within the Black Sand cable lineup.    Wolfy, I have no idea why the Black Sand cables perform so well, regardless of price...

glenn

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2006, 02:00 am »
Glenn, that was a good move on the Violets.  The Silver Ref MkIV I had came with Wattgate Ag connectors, and I wondered at the time if the silver-plated contacts were a good idea or not.  These days, I'm really not keen on plating on anything. 

I thought for a second about getting some Oyaides for Violet, but by now I've learned to leave a good thing alone if it sounds good as is..

I have no idea what makes Violet special, but I suspect they are using OFC stranded copper with "optimal" strand-count (by accident?) and "wrapping" the conductors with (probably) thin teflon tape, the combo of which must have hit a sweet spot, along with the shielding used. 

I'm glad I found the Violet, b/c I was planning to get some AirSines soon, which would have cost much more :thumb:

John Ryder

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2006, 03:59 am »
Boy you guys must have some aweful sounding equipment if it takes a 2 or 3 foot power cord to make it sound "better"...amazing that grown, supposedly educated adults believe in this voodoo.... :roll:

shokunin

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2006, 05:17 am »
John,

I respect your opinion that you don't think cables matter nor make a difference, but don't insult others here on the board who believe cords can and do matter.  I was once a non-believer until I heard it for myself.  As an educated adult I've learned to always keep an open mind.

HumanMedia

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2006, 06:01 am »
Boy you guys must have some aweful sounding equipment if it takes a 2 or 3 foot power cord to make it sound "better"...amazing that grown, supposedly educated adults believe in this voodoo.... :roll:

I found the inverse.  That awful sounding equipment masks the differences a power cord can make.  The more I upgraded my equipment and removed layer after layer of congestion, the more apparent power cord changes have become.

Merely a year ago I had a bemused puzzlement over people thinking power cords could have any influence.  I had tried swapping stock cords yielding no difference.  Then I thought I would revisit the experiment with loaner cords across the entire system and the overall effect was like I had a completely different and better component added to the system.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2006, 06:06 am »
Its all in the posts..... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=38521;sa=showPosts  ... John's such a helpful guy.... :roll:

Scrith

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2006, 09:38 pm »
(cross post from head-fi.org)

I picked up a couple of Black Sands Violet Z1 cables (with Wattgate terminations) based on what I read here and elsewhere...here's some feedback:

I was already using PS Audio Plus cables for my speaker amp and Benchmark DAC1, which were plugged into a PS Audio P500.  Through experimentation with the P500 I've found that I like 118V and MWAVE2 settings the most with my old cables, so my comparisons are based on those settings with the new cables.  These impressions are based on listening with my speakers (since the speaker amp is one of the devices that is now using a Black Sands Violet cable).

The Violet cables added an immediate sense of power to the sounds I was hearing.  The bass has more oomph and seems a bit clearer (though I suppose that could have been due to the increased volume I am perceiving).  Up above the bass, I noticed a slight improvement to clarity in the upper frequencies.  In the mid-range it seems very slightly less "warm", but I'm thinking that this is due to slightly improved detail.  The main impact is the bass however, and that is when listening to a speaker that doesn't extend down to extreme low frequencies (cuts off at around 50hz).

There's no question in my mind that changing these power cables change the sound of my system a bit, and that the change is an improvement.  As usual, I had my wife give some feedback on the sound before and after my change (she had no idea what I was changing, however), and she reported that she could hear a difference between the two (she commented only on the bass being a bit more pronounced, however).

I'll be experimenting now with the P500 to see if changing the voltage slightly changes things (perhaps lowering it a bit...I had the impression that the PS Audio Plus cables weren't letting as much power through to my equipment, which is why I had it dialed up a bit above the standard 115V setting), or if another wave setting (e.g. the standard Sine wave at 60hz) makes the sound better or worse.

earlmarc

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2006, 03:03 am »
I have recently taken possession of the Violet Z1 power cord and have been experimenting with it in my system. I wholeheartly agree with Jon L critigue of the cord. I find that cords are very system and taste dependent. In my system and for my taste based on my time with this cord so far, I find that it works very well with my TRL Sony 900. The Violet is a neutral cord with exceptional dynamics, bass articulation, and detail retrieval. It seems quieter than both the Silver Rev. and White Light. What it lacks for me is  musicality and sparkle in the midrange. I prefer the White Light v1 on my preamplifier, its more musical. I prefer the Silver Ref. on my amplifiers, its better balanced. However, on my CD player the Violet is the perfect match.The Violet's neutral character and silent backgraound offers better detail retrieval, dynamics, and bass articulation and definately allows my CD player to retrieve more information.

sherod

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2006, 04:31 am »
Earlmarc,

I don't understand your describing the word "musical" when stating the the Violet wasn't musical. If it's not musical, then why in the world would you even want it in your system at all? I'm a little confused with this.

earlmarc

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2006, 04:47 am »
Earlmarc,

I don't understand your describing the word "musical" when stating the the Violet wasn't musical. If it's not musical, then why in the world would you even want it in your system at all? I'm a little confused with this.

I don't believe I said that the Violet V1 wasn't musical. I said it lacked musicality compared to the White Light V1. The Violet is a neutral cord with excellent dynamics and bass articulation. It lacks midrange glow compared to the White Light. It doesn't provide the same musical openess and flow in the midrange compared to the White Light. The Violet is more literal in its presentation. That's not a bad thing! Its not what I prefer through a preamplifier. However, the Violet helps my CD player retrieve more information and is better matched for digital playback in my system.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2006, 04:51 am »
Hey Marcus....Now where would that Jena power cord fit in ? Curious....thanks !!
Chris

earlmarc

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2006, 05:01 am »
Chris, I knew that was coming.  :scratch: John and Steve are probably wondering the same thing. I had the Violet for two days now. I'm going to spend another week with it before going back to the Jena Labs cord. I have not A/B them yet. I will let you know in a week or so.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2006, 05:09 am »
Thanks Marcus...good calls on all !!! I'll be watching for your comments... :thumb:
Chris

earlmarc

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2006, 04:57 pm »
Hey Marcus....Now where would that Jena power cord fit in ? Curious....thanks !!
Chris

Well Chris, this is a close one. In the end I prefer the Jena Labs cord. Why you ask? The Jena and Violet are very close in neutrality and detail retrieval. In the mid to lower bass, the Violet edges the Jena. In the midrange up, the Jena edges the Violet. The Violet possess denser and weighter images in the midrange that slows a natural flow. The Jena has dense images without as much weight which allows a more natural flow. The Jena also spreads itself into a wider soundstage because its not weighted down as much. The Violet is a champion at mid to lower bass articulation and at times I think its over accentuated. The Jena is no slouch in the lower regions either, but it handles itself more even handedly. If bass is present you hear it as intended but without competing with other performances on stage.

The Violet has a thrill factor that's exciting. The Jena is expressive and natural sounding.

earlmarc

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2006, 11:24 pm »
Black Sand White Violet Z2 :peek: The ultimate cord is in the making. Its just peeking for now. I hope it reveals itself sometime in the future. A combination of midrange magic and thrilling dynamics! I can't wait John. I hope you didn't mind me naming your possible future cord. The Jena Labs vs. Violet Z1 got me thinking about the future.

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/violablan.html

earlmarc

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2006, 11:48 pm »
Black Sand White Violet Z2 :peek: The ultimate cord is in the making. Its just peeking for now. I hope it reveals itself sometime in the future. A combination of midrange magic and thrilling dynamics! I can't wait John. I hope you didn't mind me naming your possible future cord. The Jena Labs vs. Violet Z1 got me thinking about the future.

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/violablan.html
V1, V2...this is starting to remind me of NuForce. Each was a revolutionary world beater until the next iteration came out two or three months later.

No doubt the V2 will be the ultimate Black Sand Violet...until the V3.

Evolution is sometimes a good thing.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2006, 11:58 pm »
V1, V2...this is starting to remind me of NuForce. Each was a revolutionary world beater until the next iteration came out two or three months later.

No doubt the V2 will be the ultimate Black Sand Violet...until the V3.

So should John stop trying to make his product better? 

What vendor out there isn't trying to improve their product?  If they are at the point things can't be improved upon, that is quite an accomplishment.

I think the difference between this and NuForce, is that NuForce products had technical defects that had to be solved.  It wasn't just about trying to make it better.

George