I'm losing my mind Kepler & EX-6.5 Sale!

Kevin Haskins

Re: I'm losing my mind Kepler & EX-6.5 Sale!
« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2009, 12:22 pm »
Hi Kevin,

I received my Ex-6.5s. Many thanks. Could I ask two questions?  :scratch:

I've looked at the documentation and can't see the size and length of the ports. Also do the Keplers have any stuffing etc in the boxes.

Cheers,

Anthony

For the port, I transitioned to using the Parts Express Part # 260-478     Just use it full length and you get good results in the 0.5ft^3 enclosure.   Cost is $2.85 and with a 3-3/4" hole saw, it takes about 2 minutes to cut the hole and tap the port in place.   

I use about 50% fill on mine.   That would be about 4-5oz. of polyfill.   Go to the fabric section at Walmart and it is $3/ 20oz. bag. 

guest1632

« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2009, 02:56 pm »
Ok... these are officially going on closeout.    The Kepler never sold well enough to make it a keeper and I have excess stock of the EX-6.5.

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24_93_150&products_id=538

These are fantastic drivers when used properly.    Look at the review on the Kepler and compare the distortion numbers with the popular Usher/SS models.     They are an excellent performer and they won praise from SoundStage (an Editor's Choice) due to their performance.

http://www.soundstage.com/diwhy/diwhy200804.htm

This obviously changes the equation on my Kepler speaker prices also.    I will no longer be selling the Kepler kit because it just doesn't make economic sense.   I'd be happy to share the crossover network and sell the PCBs until I'm out of stock.    I have about 10 sets of crossover boards left and various crossover parts.     For anyone interested, email me.    Boards would be about $5 each and I'll have to check my stock of crossover parts.   I've let most of them dwindle in anticipation of this move.

The Peerless tweeter is available at Madisound. 

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1744

I'll post the BOM for the crossovers for download along with links to all the Parts Express equivalents.  The network is about $45 retail for all the parts.     

Should be able to build the Kepler with these prices for around $150ea.

$35   EX-6.5 Midwoofer
$78   Peerless Tweeter
$45   Network
---------------------
$148

Available for a limited time.   Once I'm out of stock of the EX-6.5 they are gone for good.    They are a product that just didn't pull their weight when it came to the business side of things but they represent an excellent speaker design.   

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

Hi Kevin,

Man, that's bad news. I was hoping at one point to buy a pair from you. Sorry to see you discontinue these speakers. you worked a long time on the 6.5 drivers. So they won't even be available in a put together speaker either? i do understand you gotta make a proffit somewhere. So then I guess you are hgonna just work on subs for now? It's a shame to see these go away. I'd shed a few tears to see them go, but that wouldn't do anything to keep them around.

Ray Bronk

kfr01

« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2009, 07:35 pm »
Anything new in the pipeline in terms of speaker designs from you, Kevin?

I've always been very interested in seeing another tower effort from you; still loving the 2641s. 

Cheers,
Karl