MAGNET WIRE SPEAKER CABLE

zygadr

Re: MAGNET WIRE SPEAKER CABLE
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2009, 04:20 am »
Well, this is all very interesting. What worries me is that I'll soon be using a 4 watt per channel valve amp on 4 ohm speakers and my magnet wire lengths are 30 feet!
Will this cause a problem? My output transformers only have an 8 ohm output tap.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2009, 12:03 pm »
FYI, I have a spool of this wire if anyone wants some SC's at a very reasonable cost.  Mostly to cover shipping.

guest1632

« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2009, 02:49 pm »
FYI, I have a spool of this wire if anyone wants some SC's at a very reasonable cost.  Mostly to cover shipping.

Hi Big Red Machine,

So what gauge is this magnet wire you have?

Ray

Big Red Machine

« Reply #23 on: 11 Aug 2009, 05:09 pm »

Hi Big Red Machine,

So what gauge is this magnet wire you have?

Ray

Sorry, 13 gauge IIRC

smbrown

« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2009, 05:58 pm »
The original poster mentioned a differnece in his solid copper coductor that may be the factor that places his experience above what others have noted with anti-cables and that is that his cable is 40 years old. I have a batch of similar material (35 years old) that I used as a radio Ham for antanea cable. It was stretched in 2x 80' legs (IIRC) and had loads of RF running through it for a few years (got married, had kids, etc...). I pulled it out of an old box several months ago and made it into 2 pairs of speaker cable. Yes, the insulation is a bear to get off! I didn't find it "blatty" but I did find it hard to work with. Sound wise, I felt it was some of the best I'd tried, but I'm now using Cardas. I would not say that the Cardas is superior, but it is different, and easier to route along the floor.

guest1632

« Reply #25 on: 19 Aug 2009, 08:59 pm »
The original poster mentioned a differnece in his solid copper coductor that may be the factor that places his experience above what others have noted with anti-cables and that is that his cable is 40 years old. I have a batch of similar material (35 years old) that I used as a radio Ham for antanea cable. It was stretched in 2x 80' legs (IIRC) and had loads of RF running through it for a few years (got married, had kids, etc...). I pulled it out of an old box several months ago and made it into 2 pairs of speaker cable. Yes, the insulation is a bear to get off! I didn't find it "blatty" but I did find it hard to work with. Sound wise, I felt it was some of the best I'd tried, but I'm now using Cardas. I would not say that the Cardas is superior, but it is different, and easier to route along the floor.

Hi, So you had that as a 80 meter dipole? What gauge is that wire you have?

Ray

twitch54

« Reply #26 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:15 pm »
Hm....
I only use one strand per lead, and it works fine for me.. :thumb:

I'm in agreement with Tuan on this as well (best set-up on my tt-phonopre-preamp to date !)

guest1632

« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2009, 06:55 pm »
Hm....

I'm in agreement with Tuan on this as well (best set-up on my tt-phonopre-preamp to date !)

Well, don't have the stereo set up at the moment. But plan to attempt to build a set of cables soon.

Ray

Sonny

« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:08 pm »
Hm....

Well, don't have the stereo set up at the moment. But plan to attempt to build a set of cables soon.

Ray

Good to hear Ray...

You did get my "recipe" did you not?
T

guest1632

« Reply #29 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:19 pm »
Hm....

Ray

Good to hear Ray...

You did get my "recipe" did you not?
T

Yes, just gotta figure out how to do the actual braiding.

Ray