Exodus UCD400-3 and NuForce

persisting1

Exodus UCD400-3 and NuForce
« on: 17 Feb 2009, 10:45 am »
Hi,

Has anyone paired a Exodus UCD400 with a NuForce AVP 17?  If so, what did you think?

http://nuforce.com/Product-AVP.htm

Also, what A/V processor do you pair your Exodus with?

I don't want to spend over $800, so used sounds like a good way to go.

Thanks

Kevin Haskins

Re: Exodus UCD400-3 and NuForce
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2009, 07:06 pm »
I don't know of another solution in that category.   I don't have any experience with the NuForce but that is a simliar concept to what I'm pursuing with the Exodus amps.   Leaving all the processing to the DVD/CD/SACD/Blue Ray player and controlling volume and switching among sources with a dedicated switch/remote box.

I'm teaming up with John Chapman and the next generation is going to have volume switching done at the amp via stepped attenuators running on a logic circuit.   They will be controlled via the Exodus Controller that does the source switching, IR and logic that is scalable for different numbers of amps.    That way you can have a 2-7 channel system with master volume using high-quality stepped attenuation and the solution is scalable.   

The NuForce solution looks good though.    I like that approach.   

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2009, 05:52 am »
I'm teaming up with John Chapman and the next generation is going to have volume switching done at the amp via stepped attenuators running on a logic circuit.   They will be controlled via the Exodus Controller that does the source switching, IR and logic that is scalable for different numbers of amps.    That way you can have a 2-7 channel system with master volume using high-quality stepped attenuation and the solution is scalable.   

This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Any idea when this would go into production?

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2009, 08:03 am »
Kevin

John Chapman has made some fantastic sounding passive preamps. I am sure that your partnership with John will provide the audio world with audiophile quality products (class B and passive pre) that is affordable and within reach of ordinary folks like me! really look forward to your collaborative efforts and wish you and John all he very best in this alliance!

Best Regards
Dennis

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2009, 04:46 pm »

I probably shouldn't even be saying anything.   It is a long ways off.    I'm waiting on Hypex to finalize the SMPS for the UcD400s and John & I have to prototype and work through the basic logic of how it is going to work.    The concept is pretty simple though.   It will work just like his MOD system.    I'll use completely different chassis and layout.    The logic and input switching occur in one box, the actual volume control occurs in each amplifier and is controlled via fiber optic cables that can be daisy chained between monoblocks.    Each monoblock has a trim pot, and a stepped attenuator for master volume control.     I'll be using the Hypex UcD400OEM modules and designing my own input stage that is on the same board as John's stepped attenuator module.   

It won't be cheap, because you have a true stepped attenuator remotely controlled in each monoblock.    We could have used one of the cheaper volume solutions but I'm not going to compete with the Chinese on low-dollar equipment anyway.   Why trim $50 here and $20 there and do something half way?    I'm building them the way I would for myself and the price lands where it lands.   

persisting1

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2009, 07:25 am »

I probably shouldn't even be saying anything.   It is a long ways off.    I'm waiting on Hypex to finalize the SMPS for the UcD400s and John & I have to prototype and work through the basic logic of how it is going to work.    The concept is pretty simple though.   It will work just like his MOD system.    I'll use completely different chassis and layout.    The logic and input switching occur in one box, the actual volume control occurs in each amplifier and is controlled via fiber optic cables that can be daisy chained between monoblocks.    Each monoblock has a trim pot, and a stepped attenuator for master volume control.     I'll be using the Hypex UcD400OEM modules and designing my own input stage that is on the same board as John's stepped attenuator module.   

It won't be cheap, because you have a true stepped attenuator remotely controlled in each monoblock.    We could have used one of the cheaper volume solutions but I'm not going to compete with the Chinese on low-dollar equipment anyway.   Why trim $50 here and $20 there and do something half way?    I'm building them the way I would for myself and the price lands where it lands.   

Any progress updates on this?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2009, 03:08 pm »

Any progress updates on this?

None.... I wouldn't be waiting on it.    I'm just learning how to use my new CNC mill.   I have a pretty sharp learning curve since I'm not a machinist by trade and there is a lot of new software (CAM packages & G-Code) to learn before I can kick-out parts.     I'm also going to have to buy a couple more tools including a vibratory tub & sandblasting cabinet, and some anodizing tanks.     

Long story short.... it is going to be a long process.