Vintage tuners

2 channel man

Vintage tuners
« on: 15 Aug 2012, 09:30 pm »
Hello folkz
In the last few moths I picked up a couple of vintage tuners a Sansui TU-317 and a Akai AT-2600
I am not in search of a Sansui TU-9900 or a Marantz 10B as far as I see not great value used .
I live in the city so I have pretty good signal although geographically there are lots to deal with .
I havr read all the info I can at FMTI and there is a lot of good info on that site for sure .
What are some of your favourite vintage tuners that can be purchased for a song ? .
I love my tuners and scooped both for next to nuttin .

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Vintage tuners
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2012, 10:23 pm »
Tube Sherwoods and Harman Kardons.
Sherwoods are cheaper and sound better, HKs will pick up more stations.
Better get both and have a good shop service them.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2012, 10:59 pm »
Don't overlook the Dyna FM3, as long as you follow the advice and do the fixes outlined in this article and replace a few old parts with these or these. Lots of FM3s out there and they sound real good once tired parts are replaced with fresh ones.

danielphantom

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2012, 12:14 am »
Missed out on a dynaco fm-3 at a garage sale for $25 to a cherrypicker on the phone with the lady running the sale, who of course sold it to him since he couldn't make it there that day...

I just bought today from "fleabay" a denon tu-800 and am looking forward to receiving it and hooking it up to my old Adcom 545 which I recently replaced some caps and transistor pairs.  Loving to see the old stuff that I couldn't afford back then making a presence in my life now.

Also picked up a Pioneer tx-7800 with its cousin the sa-7800 and am enjoying them as well.  Friends ask me why I'm not out flying model airplanes anymore and I tell them I'm too busy in the garage enjoying my "stuff"

Daniel

g567mart

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2012, 08:53 pm »
I love the Pioneer SX 1250, 1280, but the best is the Pioneer SX 1980 with  270 WPC. Currently own a very nice SX 1280
Gerard

sam_z

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2013, 03:34 pm »
I like the mid to high end Kenwoods: KT-6005, KT-6007, KT-7300, etc. The cheapest sleeper tuners if they still exist are probably from the less collected brands like Akai, Hitachi etc.

Sea-Bee

• Being a cool cat. Tubes all of the way!!
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2013, 11:54 am »
I personally like the HH Scott 330 D with a properly tuned Multiplex adaptor.

:thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2013, 01:05 pm »
I think the analog Hitachi tuners from the late 70s are a sweet deal. I had a Hitachi FT-340 for years that I almost regret giving to a friend. Glass panel instead of plastic and a silky smooth flywheel. Sounded great too. Highly underrated tuners.

About 10 years ago I 'upgraded' to an Onkyo T-9. While I didn't do any knock down drag out comparison, the Onkyo had slightly more bass but that's all.

I own one of those famous cheap Sony's too. Stunning ability to pull in stations out of thin air. Sound not quite as good as the Hitachi or Onkyo.

I said almost on the Hitachi because the FM in Boston is pathetic so I don't listen to FM except in the car. If I did I would get it back from my friend if he wasn't using it, have it realigned and put it back into service.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2013, 02:30 pm »
I really like my Marantz 115B.

Wayner

galyons

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2013, 03:13 pm »
I personally like the HH Scott 330 D with a properly tuned Multiplex adaptor.

:thumb:

+1 on the Scott. I also have a Fisher FM1000 and SS Luxman T-450.  All exceed the quality of the signals that I get in the San Francisco East Bay.

Cheers,
Geary

Sea-Bee

• Being a cool cat. Tubes all of the way!!
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2013, 08:00 pm »

Try this for the odd-couple A 330-D HH Scott tuner + Pilot 100 multiplexer.  New JJ tunes on the Pilot 100.  Telefunkens on the tuner.

Used a Heathkit FM Generator IG-37 (overhauled and realigned) to realign the multiplexer and Scott tuner.  They were wayyy off...now perfect.

USA-made :D :D :D