Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Scandal

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Scandal
« Reply #80 on: 3 Sep 2022, 09:18 pm »
This was not convenient to the client.

AllynW

« Reply #81 on: 28 Sep 2022, 02:59 am »
I knew that. I talked to an MFSL employee years ago at "The Show" in Las Vegas during CES years ago.  I told him the cymbals were too loud on MFSL early isssue of The Allman Brothers, "Live At The Fillmore East". The guy must have listened and few years later they reissued the LP, the cymbals didn't get in the way like All previously released Digital CD's. During the conversation, I was informed, the record companies would not give MFSL's any master tapes only "Digital Backups". 

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #82 on: 30 Sep 2022, 09:55 pm »
Those 'harmed' by Mobile's 'claims' instigating a class action suit is like asking someone who kicked you in the nuts to aim for the other one this time.
If getting a legal team involved sounds like a good idea maybe you should read the book Alice In Legal Land or check out The Quash podcast.
The lawyers are taking all of your money whether you win or lose and you will lose.

If Mobile's customers weren't satisfied with the results of their purchase they would have returned said product for a refund. Anyone else made the de facto claim that they got what they paid for. If it cost more money than what they had originally figured was reasonable for the level of sound quality they received then their opinion on any subject is suspect when that opinion can be swayed so easily by a factor having no relation to those expectations.

Were people actually paying $125 for a single album? If you were doing this of your own volition an outlay this outrageous proves to sensible people that it was no burden on you and to us that frivolous, impressionable people love to be swindled. Will you ever learn?

BTW, if you want premium sound on LP it says recorded direct to disc on the sleeve.

The next thing you know people with a Roon subscription will be sueing because now they have to be connected to the internet to use it.(I hope no lawyers read that).

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #83 on: 1 Oct 2022, 09:44 am »
Whydontumarryit I might suggest that the issue isn't the quality of the recordings, no one, to my knowledge, is making that claim.  And if would be near impossible to prove that unless there were gross errors in production.  Can you imagine telling a judge that the soundstage wasn't as ephemeral we you expected?  Rather the issue is that the monitary value has fallen because false claims by the manufacturer have been publicly revealed.  Their legal claim says they paid a premium price for something that wasn't as described, and therefore suffered financial damages.  Now I haven't a clue if that's true or not, I'm not in the high end lp market, but at least it's something that could be reasonably argued in court.

Stercom

« Reply #84 on: 1 Oct 2022, 10:43 am »
I haven't read the case filing but it seems to be a matter of consumer fraud. They induced people to buy their records under false pretenses. Some people don't care because the records sound good even if its from a digital master. Others do care since they paid big bucks believing they had an all analog recording - taken from the original analog master. Pretty straight forward class action.

Wayner

« Reply #85 on: 1 Oct 2022, 10:24 pm »
There is no scandal. just a bunch of assumptions. And those assumption are incorrect.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #86 on: 1 Oct 2022, 10:33 pm »
+ 1. this is what Elizabeth and I said in post 1 and 2, digital master still is a master tape(or file LOL), The guys are too naive and have no notion of what professional audio is like, pro-audio bussines is as raw and violent as the army, the only thing that matters is profit.

Once I did a freelance service because the sound mix guy went on a trip, then 2 weeks later the sound company wanted to pay me with a third party check that had already bounced for lack of funds.

newzooreview

« Reply #87 on: 1 Oct 2022, 11:19 pm »
There is no scandal. just a bunch of assumptions. And those assumption are incorrect.

Oh, really?