CD player

rcag_ils

CD player
« on: 16 Jul 2022, 03:56 pm »
I have been using my AMC CD player that I purchased back in the late 90's or early 2000's for years. I've just found out it will not play the newer CDs, it keeps giving me an error message says "no CD". Can anyone tell me why? Is it time to buy a new CD player? Do they still make CD players, if so, what kind, or what is it called?

PS, I am from the era where we did not have internet, computer, cell phone, we just had the calculators, and they were big deal then. I know nothing about iTunes or playing music through a laptop with sound card. I cannot tell the difference between an iPhone and an android, cell phone to me is to make phone call during emergency. Just want to get it out of the way.

Also, I don't know what MP3 is, all I know is its music related.

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2022, 11:33 pm by rcag_ils »

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
Re: CD player
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2022, 04:35 pm »
Plenty of (new) options for you...

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/disc-player?#/+/0/score/desc/?tab=products

https://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=5

Try these two on-line vendors for a variety of cd players. Just poke on either of those attachments and it will send you right to the cd players. You can also call for support with making a decision. There are other on-line sources as well. If you are not comfortable with buying sight-unseen (even with money back guarantees), you may still have a brick-and-mortar store that can assist you.

-Dieter

rcag_ils

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2022, 05:08 pm »
Plenty of (new) options for you...

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/disc-player?#/+/0/score/desc/?tab=products

https://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=5

Try these two on-line vendors for a variety of cd players. Just poke on either of those attachments and it will send you right to the cd players. You can also call for support with making a decision. There are other on-line sources as well. If you are not comfortable with buying sight-unseen (even with money back guarantees), you may still have a brick-and-mortar store that can assist you.

-Dieter

Thanks for the links. I forgot to mention I may not need a full CD player, since I already have an AVA D to A converter. I remember Frank said, "just get a cheap CD player and use it as a transport and run it through the D to A converter." I googled CD transport and they are not cheap, some of them are over $10,000 for crying out loud. I just need something that can decode whatever new stuff that they put in the newer CDs, my old CD player can play the old CDs just fine, just a few new CDs that I bought two weeks ago would not play, keeps saying "no disc" and I know the disc is in there.

dpatters

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2022, 05:28 pm »
Audiolab 6000CDT dedicated CD transport. 479.99 on Amazon.

Don P

Loki57

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2022, 06:35 pm »
I use a cheap Marantz  cdp feeding my Allnic dac. Sounds good to me.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2022, 07:06 pm »
I use an old laptop with a DVD player to feed a USB DAC. You can find new stand alone DVD players with with coaxial digital outputs for under $50.

Got either lying around to try?

Carlman

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2022, 08:29 pm »
What new cd did you buy? I don't think anything has changed for standard cd decoding.
Is it possible you bought a dvd-a or something?
I use my DVD player to spin cds. It is a refurbished older model. No issues on new cds.

There is a chance something else is wrong... But make sure you are solving the right problem.

vrao81

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2022, 10:20 pm »
OP are you like 86 years old?  :o How does anyone not know what mp3's are.

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2022, 10:32 pm »
Audiolab 6000CDT dedicated CD transport. 479.99 on Amazon.

Don P

Couldn't agree more. Lots of transports out there to choose from. Many under $1K as well.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2022, 11:45 pm »
I remember Frank said, "just get a cheap CD player and use it as a transport and run it through the D to A converter." I googled CD transport and they are not cheap, some of them are over $10,000 for crying out loud.

Cheap CD player as a transport, not a CD transport.

rcag_ils

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2022, 11:46 pm »
I bought the Neil Young "Young Shakespeare Deluxe", came with vinyl record, CD and DVD, the CD is the one that gives me trouble. My player plays the old CD fine, but this new one gives me the "no disc" error message after I loaded the CD in.

I knew someone would bring age into the discussion. No, I am not 86 years old, I just never had the interest in MP3, so I do not know what it is.

I don't want to sink a bunch of money into something just because it's "new". I need something with the Walmart special price tag that can play newer CD.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2022, 12:08 am »
Redbook CDs have never changed, if an old one plays, a new one should play (unless there is something wrong with the disc).

maxima95

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2022, 12:38 am »
rcag_ils

Regarding MP3s, ignorance is bliss.  You are not missing much at all.

vrao81

Nice constructive post.  I'm sure it was real helpful to the OP.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2022, 01:06 am »
I always bought cheap Sony DVD players at a big box store for my woodshop. The sawdust would eventually kill them but they played CDs just fine until they died. Navigation wasn't as elegant as a real CD player but I usually just inserted a disk and let it play through anyway. $34.99 at Best Buy.

I ran the digital out into an old Van Alstine Insight DAC, rockin' at the woodshop!

rcag_ils

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2022, 05:52 am »
I always bought cheap Sony DVD players at a big box store

WGH, maybe that's the route I should take, get a DVD player and not a CD player, most CD players are going for about $199 at the low end. Hopefully the DVD player can play what a CD player cannot.

I just read the fine print on the CD, it says "source mastered from 192/24 digital", it's new to me, maybe my old CD player cannot read whatever that is.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2022, 11:46 am »
MP3 is a lower resolution format than Redbook (CD quality).  Used to save processing and storage memory requirements.  With modern gear it's pretty much obsolete. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2022, 11:47 am »
If it is a CD (from what I saw it is just a CD), it doesn't matter how the music is recorded, it should play on any CD player.

Although I have a cheap Sony DVD player that I use occasionally to play CDs I don't really like it for several reasons, but mainly because the drive is loud and annoying with certain types of music.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2022, 05:28 pm by opnly bafld »

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2022, 12:54 pm »
Can't you try it in a friend's CD player? How about running to a thrift store and getting one for $5/10? You can even bring the disc there and plug the player into an outlet and trying it before buying it.

rcag_ils

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2022, 03:52 pm »
Can't you try it in a friend's CD player?

Most of friends that have CD players haven't used them for years or don't care to use it.

This particular CD says, "source mastered from 192/24 digital" and it doesn't have the regular "compact disc" logo, the logo looks like a half of a reel-to -reel, does it mean anything? It's new to me, maybe that's why my 20-year-old CD player won't play it.

ksbruce

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2022, 04:33 pm »
That sounds like a DVD-A.