Mullard NOS tube question /vendors too
« on: 13 Apr 2022, 09:21 pm »
Would like to know  experience with

Tube Depot     .com
Tube Store      "
Kcanostubes    "
Dougs             "
Mullardtubes    "

I'm looking at  cv4024 and the prices ( in particular tubedepot ) are 3 times less than some of the others which seems fishy.
Mullardtubes in Canada claims they have so much inventory thats why they are cheap too.

I get some vendors are smaller mom and pop with maybe less inventory so higher prices but i'm concerned about rebranded USA made Mullards .
I heard from a reputable dealer when I inquired on the stamp WA on some it means Military others said WA meant  military BUT rebranded and made in USA by RCA and others.

British was CV... Well , they all say CV but a few say CV AND WA.

All the dealers above claim they were made in Britain but how do you know   :scratch:

Escott1377

Re: Mullard NOS tube question /vendors too
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2022, 09:44 pm »
That’s the 12AT7.  I have bought that tube from Tube Depot before.  No issues.  The price on that tube should run $50 or less for NOS.  It’s a very common small signal tube that is not used as much as 12ax7, 12au7, etc.

Mullard is the cream of the crop for that tube.

bigsled

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2022, 09:58 pm »
That’s the 12AT7.  I have bought that tube from Tube Depot before.  No issues.  The price on that tube should run $50 or less for NOS.  It’s a very common small signal tube that is not used as much as 12ax7, 12au7, etc.

Mullard is the cream of the crop for that tube.

Yes I own them and really like them.
I've only bought tubes from upscale audio and from Brent Jessee  so far but they both don't have anymore.

I'm new to tubes. There sure are a lot on Ebay

50.00 for matched ?   

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2022, 10:09 pm »
Bought a matched pair of Mullard CV4024 from Jim McShane in February, he is one of the good guys. I'm always happy with his tubes. Jim has 58 available.
http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm

(58) CV4024/12AT7 Mullard, NOS/NIB, military boxed, the pin protectors in place, no Mullard logo on
them. With double stapled plates and copper getter ring supports, these are really fine tubes, $49.50 ea., $99.50/pair.
Beware of fakes!! A number of vendors have used/washed tubes in fake boxes and are selling them for full price! In
their defense, they may not even know they have used tubes! But I guarantee my stock is 100% new!

bigsled

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2022, 11:40 pm »
s

bigsled

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2022, 11:45 pm »
Bought a matched pair of Mullard CV4024 from Jim McShane in February, he is one of the good guys. I'm always happy with his tubes. Jim has 58 available.
http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm

(58) CV4024/12AT7 Mullard, NOS/NIB, military boxed, the pin protectors in place, no Mullard logo on
them. With double stapled plates and copper getter ring supports, these are really fine tubes, $49.50 ea., $99.50/pair.
Beware of fakes!! A number of vendors have used/washed tubes in fake boxes and are selling them for full price! In
their defense, they may not even know they have used tubes! But I guarantee my stock is 100% new!

Are you Jim ?

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2022, 12:19 am »
Are you Jim ?

Nope, just a regular audiophool and retired custom woodworker.

http://www.wghwoodworking.com/

The tube description is a copy/paste from McShane's website.

Wayne

jobiwon

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2022, 02:38 am »
Bought a matched pair of Mullard 12AU7s from Andy @ https://vintagetubeservices.com/ for my Rogue Pre.  Been Going strong for years. Happy customer.  8)

Escott1377

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2022, 12:03 pm »
Yes I own them and really like them.
I've only bought tubes from upscale audio and from Brent Jessee  so far but they both don't have anymore.

I'm new to tubes. There sure are a lot on Ebay

50.00 for matched ?

Each :). Brent, Jim, and Andy are all solid tube vendors.  Good luck :)

Les Lammers

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2022, 10:35 pm »
Would like to know  experience with

Tube Depot     .com
Tube Store      "
Kcanostubes    "
Dougs             "
Mullardtubes    "

I'm looking at  cv4024 and the prices ( in particular tubedepot ) are 3 times less than some of the others which seems fishy.
Mullardtubes in Canada claims they have so much inventory thats why they are cheap too.

I get some vendors are smaller mom and pop with maybe less inventory so higher prices but i'm concerned about rebranded USA made Mullards .
I heard from a reputable dealer when I inquired on the stamp WA on some it means Military others said WA meant  military BUT rebranded and made in USA by RCA and others.

British was CV... Well , they all say CV but a few say CV AND WA.

All the dealers above claim they were made in Britain but how do you know   :scratch:

The CV 4024 tubes they have are not very good. A friend bought some and was very disappointed. There are different versions of this tube.

Escott1377

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2022, 11:21 pm »
I’ve always have good luck with Tube Depot.  I go to Brent when I need more boutique.  I do not consider the Mullard we are describing as boutique.  Tubes are some what of a strange market right now with the Russian sanctions.