Vision SET 120 - speaker pairing

clewissc

Vision SET 120 - speaker pairing
« on: 9 Jan 2022, 01:23 pm »
I ordered a Vision SET 120 Pwr amp in early December.
Thinking of new speakers to pair with this.
I have Omega Super 3 High Output Monitors on the top of the list.
Has anyone tried this combo?

charmerci

Re: Vision SET 120 - speaker pairing
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2022, 03:47 pm »
The nice thing is that you'll be listening to them all with class A power. (The first few watts of AVA amps play in class A.) I hope you have space and a big room. They'll get loud! It should be a great combination. AVA is probably the best high end deal out there.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2022, 03:47 am by charmerci »

jandrews

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2022, 01:16 pm »
Hi, Curious what other speakers some of the happy SET 120 owners are using.
I’ve been using both a pair of Omega 7” single driver monitors and a pair of LRS’s
Both kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum.
I’m starting to think something like a good standmount 2-way will be the perfect pairing for this amp.
Something with less sensitivity than my Omegas but easier to drive than the Magnepans.
What are some of the favorite speakers to use with this amp?
Thanks
JS

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2022, 09:02 pm »
Using Fritz Carreras and it’s a great combination.

Phil_S

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2022, 01:23 am »
I'm using OHM Walsh 100 MK III, had them for about 15 years.  Not to efficient 88db into 6 ohm.  The 120 is more than adequate to produce outstanding music.

Nocturne79

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2022, 03:44 am »
Hello,  I have a vision control 120 amp that I use to drive my Omega Alnico HO towers with great results.  Also use them for my Omega HO rs5 monitors with also great results.  This amp is amazing,  and controls the speakers very well.  I dont even turn it up past 1/4 the way before it hits my sweet spot for volume.  I am sure you will be very happy with the amp. 

audiojem

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2022, 01:47 pm »
Vision Control 120 with ProAc Tablette 10 makes them sing!

clewissc

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2022, 02:40 pm »
I did end up with a pair of Omega Super 3 with the Vision SET 120. I think it's a very good combination.

jandrews

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2022, 11:15 pm »
Thanks for all these suggestions
Those HO Super 3's look terrific.
To be clear, I'm currently using my SET 120 and RB10 with the aforementioned Omega's (Super 7's) and my Magnepans. 

In both cases, the results are super!

That said, because of the Omegas high sensitivity, I do get a little bit of noise floor and currently one of the tubes in my RB10 is a little whooshy.
So I'm thinking something in mid 80 db's in terms of speaker sense might make sense.
I'm seriously considering getting one of the new SET 400 or 500 or whatever is about to be released to use with my LRS's in a different space.

Anyone one else using an ls5/3a variant?
Or...for something completely different , has anyone tried the new LSA Signature 50 from Underwood with their SET 120?

jandrews

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2022, 01:24 pm »
Regarding Fritz speakers:
I’d love to try some with this amp and pre.
For those of you enjoying Fritz speakers with your Ava SET 120, are any of you happy with the Carbon 7 se?
I see a lot of positive feedback on the Carreras.  And have also read some antidotal reports about the Carbons maybe being a bit more tuned towards rock and complex music.

DrexelLake

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2022, 11:19 pm »
Great thread. I'm planning on getting the 120 control amp soon.  This is the type of info I need.

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2022, 03:41 am »
Haven't talked to him in a while but a one point in the last couple of years Fritz had both a Control amp and a SET 400 in his ever evolving amp collection.  Give him a call and see which of his speakers he tried with the AVA gear and his opinion of the matchups.  I personally tried the SET 400 and the Don Sachs preamp with the Carrera's for a while.  The pairing took the edge off the Be tweeter. I would expect the Carbon 7 SE Mk II and the Rev 7 SE to be great matches. Another great book shelf speaker match I found was the Reynaud Bliss Jubilee at $2500.

jandrews

« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2022, 05:28 pm »
Thanks
I've been in touch with John (Fritz) since last week...we are also following up tomorrow and I'm deciding if I will order a pair from him.
He suggested the Carbon 7 SE over the Carerras for my system.  (I also have a low powered tube amp in addition to my SET120)
I'm also considering an older used pair

JackD

« Reply #13 on: 5 Oct 2022, 07:05 pm »
Sounds like a good choice and match.

Lazeez

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2023, 12:16 am »
I have mine paired with Wharfedale Lintons and they are sublime match.  A neutral transparent amp with a warm laidback speakers makes for a great combination.

aniwolfe

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2023, 04:28 pm »
I use my Set 120 with a pair of Spatial X2's and Omega Alnico Monitors. Great synergy!

VinceT

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2023, 04:31 pm »
Fritz's are great speakers

jandrews

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2023, 07:31 pm »
After my previous post on this thread back in October, I purchased a new pair of Carbon 7 SE mk2's directly from Fritz to use with my SET 120
It's such a good pairing.  The speakers are very easy to drive but not like my Omegas which would also reveal a noise floor of my system since they are so sensitive.
The imaging, soundstage, extended highs and weighty fast bass are all evident and the sweet midrange from the SET 120 really comes through as well.
They aren't inexpensive but seem to be appropriately priced for what they are and how they are made.
Can't recommend them enough.  I'd love to hear some of his other models ...especially the Be.

TomBo

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2023, 09:03 pm »
I am using my same amp based SET 120 Control Amp with Watkins Generation Four speakers with very musical results. Sensitivity: 88dB 1W/1meter. I haven't heard of any other AVA fans using the Watkins.  A consistent theme of my recent AVA purchases is that they bring out the best in whatever gear you plug into it, as well as speakers you wire out of it. Phenomenal gear, regardless of price...no trial and error/buyers remorse. I would love to hear the SET 120 with the Vandersteen 2CE Signature that Eric Shook experienced but don't have the right room for larger speakers...enjoy the music!