My first newbie post. I want to be an audiophile!

JRR

My first newbie post. I want to be an audiophile!
« on: 11 Nov 2021, 03:19 am »
Greetings all!
As a new member, I tried very hard not to say, “Hey Everybody!” Well, I guess I did anyway! So, a little bit about my background…
I recall my first audio device was a portable cassette recorder. I’d tape movie soundtracks, placing the mic next to the tv speaker and telling my father and sister to “shush.”  I was about 11 years old. After I started college, I got a 3rd from the top-of-the-line Akai cassette deck as a Christmas present. This was a great thing except I had nothing for playback. Maybe the thought was that I could use the family stereo console (which I did).
Still, I was not satisfied. A year later I received $500 from my grandmother. $500! I assume each of her grandchildren got such a gift. In today’s dollars, that’s $2,282.09. That was quite a gift! So now I had “seed” money for an audio system. I took twice that from savings, added to it the gift I received and purchased a Yamaha integrated and a set of KEF reference bookshelf speakers.
Still, I was not satisfied. A year later, I purchased a Denon turntable and moving coil cartridge. Next came the dbx compander. Then came the M&K subwoofer.
Still, I was not feeling complete. A Yamaha T1 tuner was purchased to satisfy my “system’s” needs. When CD’s came out, I had to get a Denon CD player.  God help me that wasn’t enough! I was now in the position in my life that I could afford upgrades. I purchased an Aragon preamp and amplifier. Somewhere in there, I bought a Revox reel-to-reel and stopped any further additions.
So, by now you probably have diagnosed me as an audiophile wana-be. As part of my next newbie required posting, I’ll say a bit more of my affliction and how I came to (happily) discover AudioCircle.
Until then, “May the music of your dreams be sublime..”
Joe   :D

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: My first newbie post. I want to be an audiophile!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2021, 03:29 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

mcmusicman

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2021, 04:23 am »
After reading the title of your post, my first thought was to add you to the prayer list at church. 
 :P
Seriously, welcome aboard mate.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2021, 06:38 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC JRR   :thumb: 

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2021, 09:04 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle JRR

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2021, 11:24 am »
Welcome!  Are you sure you want to be an audiophile! :o

JRR

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2021, 04:58 pm »
Greetings All!
This is my second newbie post. A bit more about my background…
About 10 years ago, my aerospace job transferred me to Arizona. So, my wife and I moved and started a new life in the middle of a gigantic sandbox! Work for our respective jobs was intense. I carved out some time to add a music streamer, a Cambridge Audio Streamer, to our house server. How nice to be able to access music from any “computer” in the house!
I was getting itchy to upgrade my nearly 40-year-old KEFs that already had been reconed once. I discovered what seems to be one of the premier audiophile shops in the United States. I went in and declared that I wanted to do a speaker upgrade. The salesman patiently indulged me. I listened to many speakers in the 2-to-3-thousand-dollar range and did not hear any “wows.” This price point was equivalent to what the KEFs originally cost. The salesman called me into another demo room and auditioned a set of Sonus Faber Cremona Ms. “WoW!” I asked the price. I then turned around with my tail tucked in and left.
I was getting a sense of what it means to be an audiophile. Each upgrade of old gear meant spending a lot of money. I received a call from my salesman less than a year later. He said that he had a pair of returned-for-upgrade Cremona Ms. “Would you like them?” All you Audiophiles out there know where this is going… “Yes!” was my answer. What clarity! What low end! What volume! What an improvement! All except for one thing…side-by-side, they did not image as sharply as my 40-year-old KEFs. OH, NOOOO!
A Furman power conditioner later, Danny Richie’s teaching about the effects of room acoustics, and Ron Brenay’s speaker placement video (thank you), the Cremonas sound quite good (the image improved). Amazing-in-fact. BUT TOO DAMN LATE! I’ve ordered a set of NX-Tremes and subwoofers!
So, a shout out to FullRangeMan, mcmusicman, ArthurDent, toocool4, and Phil A. Thank you all for your welcome. Phil A, I think I stepped over the line from HiFi towards audiophilia. I still want to be an audiophile! Mcmusicman, thank you for adding my name to the prayer list. I enjoyed the laugh!

Until then, “May the music of your dreams be sublime...”
Joe

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2021, 10:30 pm »
Hi Joe,
Want to be an audiophile can be a blessing and can be a curse too, today I could start with a tube amp and a hi sensitivity speaker to avoid upgrade for a long time.
Good luck :thumb:

Dako

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2021, 09:04 pm »
Hello Joe,
     Welcome to the madness. Take your time ,do your research and hopefully you will make wise choices in this hobby which can be a money vacuum.

FullRangeMan has great advice. After riding the merry go round for years, I have finally settled in with a tube amp and super efficient speakers. The ride is finally over.

Everyone’s situation is different and go with what you like.

Welcome and enjoy!!!!

JRR

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2022, 03:05 am »
Greetings All,

This is my 3rd Newbie post. I hope it is not too late... I know that it has been almost two months.
Well, I've ordered subs and NX-Tremes, as I said in the last post. I still do not have them as there are parts supply problems for the entire world. I did manage to snag the flat packs for the servo subs. I designed grill frames, built them, and painted them. Ouch! I know the frames won't be seen, but I used them as painting practice for the speaker cabinets. I keep telling myself that "I'm saving lots of money-I'm saving lots of money!..." I had no idea how difficult painting would be. My wife, who is a faux finisher by trade, says that it is difficult to paint small thin items and still get a good finish (lots of careful prep). That helps cheer me up but I still have to remind myself that "I'm saving lots of money..." I will press on with the end goal of someday, hopefully this year, I will be able to listen to a new speaker system.

To FullRangeMan and Dake: Thanks for the idea of a tube amp. My current amp is still working after 40 years. I may still want to upgrade it. As I understand, the NX-Tremes are a high efficiency speaker and can be driven quite adequately by a tube amp. One thing at a time! First the speakers!

Until then, “May the music of your dreams be sublime...”
Joe