Getting non-audiophiles into audio (a short video)

hilde45

Hi folks,
For better or worse, I made a short video about getting better sound. I have learned a lot from many people, not least the folks on Audiocircle. Sharing out of a love for the hobby, and with the hope that I can coax more people into better sound. I also posted this on GIK circle. If that's not ok, please let me know and I'll delete this post. Or the moderator is welcome to!

HERE: https://youtu.be/TtTQAHe5lV0

By the way, I'm not selling anything at all. Not bolstering any company or product. Just trying to convey what to most of you is common sense but which might not be obvious to many.

Cheers,

DH

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Getting non-audiophiles into audio (a short video)
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2021, 12:21 pm »
Well done, although you emphasized importance of bass you avoided getting into the use of one or more subwoofers.

hilde45

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2021, 01:20 pm »
Thanks. I did avoid that, largely because I didn't want to open up a complicated side topic. In my experience, a sub is key to really mastering a room but for first steps, I think most people don't really work with speaker and listening position, which are so huge.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2021, 05:52 pm »
Great information. I like the fact you focused on the listening environment, and didn't mention equipment at all. Too often people think they are going to fix a problem by replacing a component, or (even worse) a cable. Get the room and speaker position set up optimally, and good sound will follow. I have a pair of Joseph Audio Pulsar 2 speakers that sound lovely in my room. If I had to give them up and only listen to a pair of NHT SuperZero 2.1s I paid $80 for, I'd be just fine. They both sound great in my room. Subs for the NHT of course.

lokie

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2021, 05:58 pm »
Why do we want to do that again? That is unless your in the business.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2021, 06:52 pm »
Why do we want to do that again? That is unless your in the business.

Again? Do tell. Sounds grim.

I can think of a few reasons to not let appreciation of high quality music reproduction die that aren't self-serving to industry.

How about showing someone a world they didn't know existed or conveying what you've learned on your journey to an up and coming audio nerd?

Also "in the business" works hand in hand with consumers...especially in this tiny industry. If there's no demand, manufacturers will close their doors. If they shutter businesses, consumer choices will wane and development of new ideas will stagnate. When the geezers die without sharing their passions, something is lost.

I'd love to witness another golden age of hi-fi and I don't see the harm in folks helping that in any way that feels right to them.  Yes, there's snake oil an balderdash but what market doesn't have that?

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2021, 07:34 pm »
Nice one hilde45, good info. I think it’s good you did not talk about subs when it comes to sorting out bass problems in a room. Personally subs are not the answer, why would you want to add more energy into a room that struggling to cope with what it’s receiving in the first place. Fixing the room is the first thing to do. The money wasted on subs can be put into room treatment.

Like timind said some people think getting some new or more kit will fix their problems.

hilde45

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2021, 10:38 pm »
@timind -- Thanks. I've seen so much jabber about gear, and the Youtube industry around it, that it just made me think, How can I explain concisely to non-experts that the room is an indispensable consideration? Akin to the advice, "Brush your teeth!"

@lokie "Why do we want to do that again?" Not sure I understood this comment. Here's a possible answer -- hope I'm not missing your point: Why do I take my kids to art museums? Or invite friends to good restaurants? Or leave reviews on Yelp? Because there should be people beside those who stand to profit weighing in with critical commentary? Truth and experience matter -- that's why.

@toocool4 Agreed. I, personally, am finding subs very helpful, but I'm taking on subs like a dissertation, not as a quick fix. Being very careful about their addition and how to evaluate their effects.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2021, 11:32 pm »
1. Show people that good sound doesn't have to be super expensive. There are enough speaker, amplifier, and turntable brands that sound good and don't break the bank. Not everything has to be Audio Fest approved.

2. Stop playing audiophile music all the time. Even people here listen to Rock, Metal, Country, Pop, and Electronic. Guess what: so do others.

3. Stop worrying about everything being perfect. People have connection with the music, not the sound system. They will pick up how a speaker sounds with experience. They will figure out a speaker is too bright or whatever.

4. I have seen people offer a complete system package, as well as budget complete system. That needs to happen more often. Give them an option instead of a AV receiver with sub-par speakers.

5. DIY is an option, but not everybody can do that. Not everybody can solder nor cut up wood. So, unless you are willing to directly help someone, don't set them up for failure.

6. Discuss a budget and upgrade plan.

7. Invite them to get togethers. Have them be a part of your group.

hilde45

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2021, 11:59 am »
Great list mix4fix. Thank you! Most of your points are great complements to my main point, which was to consider the room and the set up. I'm not a perfectionist, and I do think that you're right that audiophiles should stop emphasizing perfection, because that prevents non-audiophiles from doing *anything* at all.

The main point of my video is that (a) there's more than just "connection to the music" to consider and (b) that they actually *won't* figure out a speaker is too bright if the room is the cause of the problem. They'll mistakenly think it's the speaker because they're not considering the room.

An audiophile does not have to be an extremist but they cannot rest content with the ideas "just enjoy the music" and "everyone figures it out eventually." Otherwise, there'd be no hobby at all, right?

Thanks again for your list.